Utah Recruiting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Portland Ute
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 5647

    #631
    Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Here we go again with the same responses over and over from LAU and Brian. You guys really need some new comebacks.
    As opposed to your predictable and repetitive wittiness...

    Comment

    • cougjunkie
      *Banned*
      • Nov 2008
      • 23223

      #632
      Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
      As opposed to your predictable and repetitive wittiness...
      Have not seen that response yet in this thread. Thanks for bringing something new and fresh to the party.
      *Banned*

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #633
        Originally posted by Tone Loc View Post
        From DDD: "I don't know the answer to this, but what was that ranking last year amongst the same sample set? It would be interesting to see if there was much difference.

        My earlier point was totally ignored which is par for the course amongst such a collection of hooligans and degenerates, but comparing Utah to USC or Texas or whatnot is silly. Compare Utah against previous Utah classes and I definitely think the Utes will see a jump in quality over the years, even if they finish in the middle of the PAC with a 7-5 record in any given season.

        Utah's class today sort or supports this notion...look at the guys they were in the running to land....several 4 stars. And they closed the deal on two 4-stars, which is already showing improvement." (you are good at trolling).

        Rivals is the best resource for recruiting and high school sports. Find all of your favorite team's information or browse our advanced player database.


        Rivals is the best resource for recruiting and high school sports. Find all of your favorite team's information or browse our advanced player database.


        Nothing has changed. Utah went from 7th in 2009 and 2010 to 6th this year because UCLA totally messed up this year. Utah's average star ranking per recruit is the exact same as the previous two years. So where is the improvement?
        Let me clarify.

        I said earlier (in response to SeattleUte) that overall this year I do not see Utahs class in a much different light than most previous classes.

        My comment in the post you just quoted was not trolling. I was being serious. While Utah's class this year might have e same star ranking as previous classes, the difference this year is that Utah was in legitimate contention today for a few other 4 star recruits. My contention is that in another year or so working under chow and whit, we will start to see a few more Utah hats on the table and some of them will wind up on the recruits head. I guess I'm puzzled why people would argue against this. To me it seems obvious that recruiting will improve for Utah. I could be way off but isn't that what we would expect for BYU if BYU were to join up with a BCS conference.

        LA Utes sports post was I'll informed, admittedly, but my question was legitimate. I didn't know how Utah really stacked up against those teams in previous seasons. Based on your input, it looks like Utah really didn't experience a huge bump this year after all. They did about the same against other PAC teams as they did last year, fine.

        Ultimately this is all conjecture but I really do think that the totality of events today seem to support that the Utes are just barely starting to crest over a bright horizon.

        I also say this knowing that Chow is already looking past this upcoming season and trying to find pieces for next year. I'm not saying he is punting on this season, but that he is already prepping from a recruit standpoint. He needs horses and right now he doesn't have what he needs. He will go out and get them, I really believe it.
        Last edited by TripletDaddy; 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • Jarid in Cedar
          CS Institutional Memory
          • Jun 2009
          • 13234

          #634
          Anyone who feels that Utah moving to the Pac-12 automatically puts us on the same recruiting field as USC, Texas, Florida, etc. needs a reality check. Same goes to those who feel that it will have no impact.

          We will not be competing with USC and Oregon(and for now Stanford and Cal) when viewing the whole class, but we will be competing with them for specific recruits with whom we would not have been in the discussion 2 years ago. A specific example from this year was Pomee. I doubt he sets foot in SLC in 2008. USC will still beat us for a majority of those recruits, but there are going to be a few that will buy into what the program, the coaches, and SLC have to offer. Being able to pick up a few of these kids will make a big difference in the overall strength of the roster, and the only reason that Utah even gets a chance to sell the program in the first place is because of conference affiliation.

          As for the next tier, ASU, U of A, OSU, UCLA UW. For the last decade, these schools have been "big timing" us when we are recruiting head to head. "Utah is in the MWC, we are the Pac-10", etc. That will no longer happen and now they will have to try a different tact. We have been winning a few recruits from this group despite that disadvantage. I would expect we will win a few more down the road.

          If you are able to upgrade 4-5 players each recruiting cycle that leads to an improvement in the talent of ~20% of your roster over time. I expect that we will be able to upgrade 3-5 players each year compared to 2009.

          As far as on the field results. We have been able to compete with and beat the middle tier of the Pac-10 with inferior recruiting classes. I bet we will fare a little better with the talent upgrade that I expect to see in the next 3-4 years.
          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

          "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

          "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

          -Rick Majerus

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #635
            Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
            Anyone who feels that Utah moving to the Pac-12 automatically puts us on the same recruiting field as USC, Texas, Florida, etc. needs a reality check. Same goes to those who feel that it will have no impact.

            We will not be competing with USC and Oregon(and for now Stanford and Cal) when viewing the whole class, but we will be competing with them for specific recruits with whom we would not have been in the discussion 2 years ago. A specific example from this year was Pomee. I doubt he sets foot in SLC in 2008. USC will still beat us for a majority of those recruits, but there are going to be a few that will buy into what the program, the coaches, and SLC have to offer. Being able to pick up a few of these kids will make a big difference in the overall strength of the roster, and the only reason that Utah even gets a chance to sell the program in the first place is because of conference affiliation.

            As for the next tier, ASU, U of A, OSU, UCLA UW. For the last decade, these schools have been "big timing" us when we are recruiting head to head. "Utah is in the MWC, we are the Pac-10", etc. That will no longer happen and now they will have to try a different tact. We have been winning a few recruits from this group despite that disadvantage. I would expect we will win a few more down the road.

            If you are able to upgrade 4-5 players each recruiting cycle that leads to an improvement in the talent of ~20% of your roster over time. I expect that we will be able to upgrade 3-5 players each year compared to 2009.

            As far as on the field results. We have been able to compete with and beat the middle tier of the Pac-10 with inferior recruiting classes. I bet we will fare a little better with the talent upgrade that I expect to see in the next 3-4 years.
            Pomee? What about Langi? SC and Stanford both wanted Langi. And Langi really enjoyed his SC visit. Yet he choose Utah.

            The competition has already begun.

            Like you said, Utah didn't deliver any haymakers this round, but next year look for them to land a few blows.

            And with that I need to stfu because Im starting to sound like a ute fan!
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • Jarid in Cedar
              CS Institutional Memory
              • Jun 2009
              • 13234

              #636
              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Let me clarify.

              I said earlier (in response to SeattleUte) that overall this year I do not see Utahs class in a much different light than most previous classes.

              My comment in the post you just quoted was not trolling. I was being serious. While Utah's class this year might have e same star ranking as previous classes, the difference this year is that Utah was in legitimate contention today for a few other 4 star recruits. My contention is that in another year or so working under chow and whit, we will start to see a few more Utah hats on the table and some of them will wind up on the recruits head. I guess I'm puzzled why people would argue against this. To me it seems obvious that recruiting will improve for Utah. I could be way off but isn't that what we would expect for BYU if BYU were to join up with a BCS conference.

              LA Utes sports post was I'll informed, admittedly, but my question was legitimate. I didn't know how Utah really stacked up against those teams in previous seasons. Based on your input, it looks like Utah really didn't experience a huge bump this year after all. They did about the same against other PAC teams as they did last year, fine.

              Ultimately this is all conjecture but I really do think that the totality of events today seem to support that the Utes are just barely starting to crest over a bright horizon.

              I also say this knowing that Chow is already looking past this upcoming season and trying to find pieces for next year. I'm not saying he is punting on this season, but that he is already prepping from a recruit standpoint. He needs horses and right now he doesn't have what he needs. He will go out and get them, I really believe it.
              Thanks saying what is the central argument to why Utah will improve in recruiting over time. A good salesman just needs to get in the door of the golden contact.
              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

              "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

              "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

              -Rick Majerus

              Comment

              • Jarid in Cedar
                CS Institutional Memory
                • Jun 2009
                • 13234

                #637
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                Pomee? What about Langi? SC and Stanford both wanted Langi. And Langi really enjoyed his SC visit. Yet he choose Utah.

                The competition has already begun.

                Like you said, Utah didn't deliver any haymakers this round, but next year look for them to land a few blows.

                And with that I need to stfu because Im starting to sound like a ute fan!
                We had a decent edge with Langi being an instate guy, but he is gone if not for the Pac-12. A guy like John Martinez would be another example from the 2009 class. Right in our backyard and we didn't even get a sniff. Maybe he would have considered staying home if he was a 2012 recruit.
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                -Rick Majerus

                Comment

                • Portland Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 5647

                  #638
                  Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  Have not seen that response yet in this thread. Thanks for bringing something new and fresh to the party.
                  How about this:

                  Utah whiffed on QBs. Utah is down to two healty QBs right now. I won't count Wynn as healthy or viable until he is throwing at full strength.

                  Two healthy QBs, neither of which has any experience.

                  Either the coaches completely whiffed or they are nuts.

                  That ought to make your nether regions tingle, cj.

                  Comment

                  • il Padrino Ute
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19161

                    #639
                    Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                    It's interesting how innocent I actually am.

                    Just looking for a civil exchange of thoughts on the new Utah reality, in which the Utes will travel (like us Cougar fans) to a lot of bowl dates in places like San Francisco, San Diego and Las Vegas, but unlike us it will be to wrap up an unranked 6 win season instead of a 10-11 win top 15 season. And while we will have a legit shot at playing the Utes' new USC, Oregon and Stanford overlords in post-season matchups, the Utes will learn to close their eyes and take it when those schools manhandle them in the regular season.

                    I just find it interesting.
                    AQ, baby. AQ.
                    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                    Comment

                    • Blueintheface
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 15382

                      #640
                      Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                      How about this:

                      Utah whiffed on QBs. Utah is down to two healty QBs right now. I won't count Wynn as healthy or viable until he is throwing at full strength.

                      Two healthy QBs, neither of which has any experience.

                      Either the coaches completely whiffed or they are nuts.

                      That ought to make your nether regions tingle, cj.
                      Too many ridiculous SU posts to sift through but a few pages back SU stated that the Utes had 3 starting QBs on the team right now. Which is it?
                      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                      Comment

                      • Jarid in Cedar
                        CS Institutional Memory
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 13234

                        #641
                        Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                        Too many ridiculous SU posts to sift through but a few pages back SU stated that the Utes had 3 starting QBs on the team right now. Which is it?
                        Port is saying we have 2 healthy, Wynn had surgery and some people havelegit concerns about his recovery in time for the season.
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                        "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                        "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                        -Rick Majerus

                        Comment

                        • Top Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 2194

                          #642
                          Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                          It's interesting how innocent I actually am.

                          Just looking for a civil exchange of thoughts on the new Utah reality, in which the Utes will travel (like us Cougar fans) to a lot of bowl dates in places like San Francisco, San Diego and Las Vegas, but unlike us it will be to wrap up an unranked 6 win season instead of a 10-11 win top 15 season. And while we will have a legit shot at playing the Utes' new USC, Oregon and Stanford overlords in post-season matchups, the Utes will learn to close their eyes and take it when those schools manhandle them in the regular season.

                          I just find it interesting.
                          Congrats on your yearly pact with the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. Maybe you'll get a Pac-10 team with more than 6 wins in some years. The idea that you think those teams could be USC or Oregon in some years means you're just as delusional about the teams with which we share higher rent status as you are Utah.

                          Enjoy Ruston, Las Cruces, etc.

                          Comment

                          • Blueintheface
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 15382

                            #643
                            Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                            Port is saying we have 2 healthy, Wynn had surgery and some people havelegit concerns about his recovery in time for the season.
                            No, his post says 2 are healthy and neither of them have experience which suggets...they aren't starter quality. At least that's how I read it.
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                            Comment

                            • cougjunkie
                              *Banned*
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 23223

                              #644
                              Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                              Congrats on your yearly pact with the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. Maybe you'll get a Pac-10 team with more than 6 wins in some years. The idea that you think those teams could be USC or Oregon in some years means you're just as delusional about the teams with which we share higher rent status as you are Utah.

                              Enjoy Ruston, Las Cruces, etc.
                              Ruston, Las Cruces, etc. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pullman, Boulder, Tucson (biggest shithole in the world), etc.
                              *Banned*

                              Comment

                              • Top Ute
                                Junior Member
                                • May 2010
                                • 2194

                                #645
                                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                Ruston, Las Cruces, etc. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pullman, Boulder, Tucson (biggest shithole in the world), etc.
                                I know you can get direct flights to Tucson and Boulder/Denver from SLC. But maybe you could tell me how to get Ruston or Las Cruces. Does it involve a Greyhound bus, hitchiking or a combination of both? And is there anything better than a Motel 6 off the interstate in those towns? I'm just curious how you lowly independents have to do for travel to road games.

                                Comment

                                Working...