The PAC 10 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #2521
    Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Bingham? I didn't know it was even around 30 years ago.
    It used to be a school up Bingham canyon in the berg of Copperton, which is now largely buried by mine tailings. I was in the first class to have spent 4 years at and graduated from the 'new' Bingham. At the time we sucked at football. But we were very good at basketball.
    Last edited by creekster; 07-02-2010, 08:08 PM.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

    Comment

    • creekster
      It is NOT a monkey!
      • Nov 2008
      • 22661

      #2522
      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
      I also thought "crapulent" was crude, but it is a terrific word (I just learned it a week or so ago) and does not refer to excrement or anything icky at all.


      http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=crapulent

      Here's the Latin and Greek derivation.

      Still, I don't think I will ever use it in a sacrament meeting talk, as fun as that might be.

      I was one of the "non-rich" kids at Highland, by the way. (I lived west of Foothill Boulevard, in other words.) Still, I somehow avoided rickets and indentured servitude and made it to adulthood.

      I was not familiar with that word. OTOH, regardless of its arguably noble heritage, it still doesn't sound very high minded.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #2523
        Originally posted by creekster View Post
        It used to be a school up Bingham canyon in the berg of Copperton, which is now largely buried by mine tailings. I was in the first class to have spent 4 years at and graduated from the 'new' Bingham. At the time we sucked at football. But we were very good at basketball.
        Remeber this?

        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • Top Ute
          Junior Member
          • May 2010
          • 2194

          #2524
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          Clayton?
          Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I followed up my time there with a one-year stint at East -- right when Josh Grant was a junior.

          Comment

          • LA Ute
            Receiver of Memory
            • Nov 2008
            • 19512

            #2525
            Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
            Winner, winner, chicken dinner. I followed up my time there with a one-year stint at East -- right when Josh Grant was a junior.
            For reasons not clear to me, I still remember the Clayton school song.

            Originally posted by creekster View Post
            I was not familiar with that word. OTOH, regardless of its arguably noble heritage, it still doesn't sound very high minded.
            No doubt. But it's a great message board word.

            EDIT: Can you imagine teaching a lesson on the Word of Wisdom and noting that moderation in all things prevents crapulence? Just imagining the looks on class members' faces makes me laugh out loud.
            Last edited by LA Ute; 07-02-2010, 09:22 PM.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden


            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #2526
              Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
              Thanks coach, we fully expect for USC to be our bitch by about 2013
              So you are aiming to take down the weakened teams first. Good call. When do you think you will handle Wazzu?
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • LA Ute
                Receiver of Memory
                • Nov 2008
                • 19512

                #2527
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                So you are aiming to take down the weakened teams first. Good call. When do you think you will handle Wazzu?
                That's what predators do, you know - go after the weaklings of the flock.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden


                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                Comment

                • John McClain
                  Comfortably Numb
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 1012

                  #2528
                  Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  It used to be a school up Bingham canyon in the berg of Copperton, which is now largely buried by mine tailings. I was in the first class to have spent 4 years at and graduated from the 'new' Bingham. At the time we sucked at football. But we were very good at basketball.
                  When I ran track in HS we traveled to a meet at the old Bingham High. Their track was a cinder track and was 465 yards around with a 90 degree turn at one point. Still, I have fond memories of that meet since I won my first race there (mile run) as a sophomore which allowed me to letter with other points I had accumulated prior to that meet.
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment

                  • Shaka
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 10450

                    #2529
                    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    In my era both West and South had only afternoon games. West was considered the scarier of the two, by far.
                    I never participated in a sporting sporting event at either West or South where there wasn't some kind of a problem. Even the sub-varsity games had problems which in my opinion is even scarier. I'll give two examples:

                    1. Went with my freshman basketball team to play south. One of my teammates and myself got into it with one of their poly players. The next day that player and two of his buddies showed up at my junior high looking for us armed with knives.

                    2. Sophomore basketball at West. I developed a bit of a problem with the West sophomore QB which continued into basketball. During the game we got into the usual shoving matches and other wussy displays of power that are common in basketball. Anyway I was on the bench with one of my best friends sitting next to me. Ball goes out of bounds where I'm sitting and my rival comes to inbound. As he throws it in I call him a dick and then he falls flat on his face like he tripped. He got up, came after me, and we had a little brawl right there on the sidelines. When control returns to the court I look over and my buddy sitting next to me is close to wetting his pants with laughter. It turns out as I tossed my insult he stuck his foot out and tripped the West guy. Things got so heated for the rest of that game that the police were called. For the rest of my high school sports career there was always crap going on between that particular West player and myself. Even funnier during my freshman year of college I ran into this guy at The Palace in Provo. He was attending Snow playing either football or baseball. We recognized each other and hung out the rest of the night all the while laughing about how stupid we were in high school.

                    Things were bad playing West and South but the worst brawl I've ever seen happened after we played Tooele my junior year. It involved players, coaches, parents, and fans all out on the court going at it. A couple of truckloads of their rednecks even followed our bus all the way back to our school to continue things.

                    Comment

                    • Shaka
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 10450

                      #2530
                      Originally posted by John McClain View Post
                      When I ran track in HS we traveled to a meet at the old Bingham High. Their track was a cinder track and was 465 yards around with a 90 degree turn at one point. Still, I have fond memories of that meet since I won my first race there (mile run) as a sophomore which allowed me to letter with other points I had accumulated prior to that meet.
                      Speaking of bad playing surfaces West put a track around their football field in a space that wasn't big enough. A good portion of the corner of each endzone was actually part of the track. They even had the football field lines in those spots painted on the track. It's the only time in my life that I've played on a football field that was part asphalt.

                      Comment

                      • CardiacCoug
                        вот так штука
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 11013

                        #2531
                        Most of the country believes that Boise State has a better "athletic program" than Utah does. Funny.

                        [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=pollindex&pollId= 92591"]ESPN.com Poll Results by State[/ame]

                        Edit: Damn link from ESPN and my computer illiteracy. For the record, 57% of people nationwide voted for the Broncos over Utah. So only 43% know about the Ute prowess in gymnastics and skiing I guess.
                        Last edited by CardiacCoug; 07-05-2010, 09:13 AM.

                        Comment

                        • UtahDan
                          *
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14496

                          #2532
                          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          Most of the country believes that Boise State has a better "athletic program" than Utah does. Funny.

                          ESPN.com Poll Results by State

                          Edit: Damn link from ESPN and my computer illiteracy. For the record, 57% of people nationwide voted for the Broncos over Utah. So only 43% know about the Ute prowess in gymnastics and skiing I guess.
                          Amazing what actually achieving something in the post season can do!

                          Comment

                          • All-American
                            Right, as Usual
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 15674

                            #2533
                            Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                            Most of the country believes that Boise State has a better "athletic program" than Utah does. Funny.

                            ESPN.com Poll Results by State

                            Edit: Damn link from ESPN and my computer illiteracy. For the record, 57% of people nationwide voted for the Broncos over Utah. So only 43% know about the Ute prowess in gymnastics and skiing I guess.
                            Interesting to note that the margin favoring Boise State is greater in Alabama than in Oklahoma.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                            Comment

                            • Uncle Ted
                              The Big 12 money shot.
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 28853

                              #2534
                              Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              Most of the country believes that Boise State has a better "athletic program" than Utah does. Funny.

                              ESPN.com Poll Results by State

                              Edit: Damn link from ESPN and my computer illiteracy. For the record, 57% of people nationwide voted for the Broncos over Utah. So only 43% know about the Ute prowess in gymnastics and skiing I guess.
                              Didn't we establish that other sports don't count? Case in point, the PAC-10 giving Colorado an invite.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • LA Ute
                                Receiver of Memory
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19512

                                #2535
                                Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                Interesting to note that the margin favoring Boise State is greater in Alabama than in Oklahoma.
                                Whatever makes you guys feel better.
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden


                                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                Comment

                                Working...