The PAC 10 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #2371
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Glad to see you're coming around. I always knew you would.
    I have not said anything inconsistent with this. I've found all the anger about something that was a natural consequence of volitional choices by BYU alumni and the institution alike somewhat surprising.

    Any thoughts on why BYU's administration or even LDS Church leadership hasn't issued a statement echoing Monson's points? (Note that BITF found the article somewhat "cathartic"). Once again they're always happy to tell you how to live, but when you really need them to say something great and courageous and honest they sit on their hands.

    Maybe it's because they're in super secret meetings with Big 12 officials about something that will soon make BYU fans ecstatic. But I kind of doubt it.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • Uncle Ted
      The Big 12 money shot.
      • Apr 2010
      • 28853

      #2372
      SI Article on Chip Brown. Brown claims he wasn't a tool for UT...

      With some contending that Brown was merely an agent of the Texas athletic department, SI.com asked the reporter to respond to the charge that Texas merely used him as a public microphone for its message and to advance its agenda.

      "The people at Texas know that's not true," Brown said. "Even though I cover Texas, some of the people I had a great relationship with when I was at The Dallas Morning News were unsure about my move to Orangebloods.com. My phone calls got returned less frequently or not at all. I couldn't get a football credential until I agreed to do a Big 12 roundup for our national Rivals.com site. I still can't get a basketball credential. I have contacts across the Big 12 from covering the league for two decades. I get that the name of our Web site would lead everyone to believe we were having coffee with [Texas athletic director] DeLoss Dodds and [Texas president] Bill Powers each morning, but I never talked to them once during this whole process. They are still turning down my interview requests to come on the radio now that things have cooled down.

      "I think I made the people at Texas totally uncomfortable through this whole thing, to be honest. They are incredibly controlling about information, almost paranoid. So the thought that someone at UT would use me to further their agenda is almost laughable."
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • DU Ute
        RIP CUF
        • Dec 2008
        • 7393

        #2373
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        Glad to see you're coming around. I always knew you would.
        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        I have not said anything inconsistent with this.
        I think you missed the link in DH's post. It's not easy to notice, but I think it deserves some recognition.
        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

        Comment

        • SeattleUte
          Faith crisis consultant
          • Nov 2008
          • 20837

          #2374
          This debate about the divisions is not uninteresting.

          From the perspective of a journalist covering the Pac-10, I’d argue that the reporting assignment of the year goes to the fly on the wall when the athletic directors meet with commissioner Larry Scott in Los Angeles on July 30… Continue Reading →
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

          --Jonathan Swift

          Comment

          • UtahDan
            *
            • Nov 2008
            • 14496

            #2375
            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            This debate about the divisions is not uninteresting.

            http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...-united-front/
            This is an aspect of our new digs that is just dawning on me: every other team in our conference has a significant fan base that cares about its teams every bit as much as we do. We have never had that before.

            Comment

            • Solon
              Lost in the flood
              • Nov 2008
              • 5747

              #2376
              So, which one of you is writing letters to the editor of the deseret news?



              Sounds like someone is cribbing their material from this thread.
              Last edited by Solon; 06-29-2010, 08:03 PM.
              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

              Comment

              • SeattleUte
                Faith crisis consultant
                • Nov 2008
                • 20837

                #2377
                Originally posted by Solon View Post
                So, which one of you is writing letters to the editor of the deseret news?



                Sounds like someone is cribbing their material from this thread.
                Yeah, we'ver seen this same "reasoning" a thousand times. Now this crap is getting old. I guess I'm suffering BYU rationalization/self-pity fatigue. It's now fashionable for them to highlight the Pac 10's purported down-cycle. Who cares, if that's true the Pac has all the means to return to the pinnacle and certainly will. Also, one would think that BYU went 13-0 last year and Utah went 0-13. Talk about Utah's "third place MWC finish" is like hearing a couple of mid-tier law school graduates compare rankings.

                Yawn. I'm so glad we're leaving all this behind. I'm excited about seeing the new divisions announced and to break into our new conference and rivalry. The longer BYU fans carry on with their bleating the more I don't care if they consign the Holy War to the dust bin of history.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                --Jonathan Swift

                Comment

                • UtahDan
                  *
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14496

                  #2378
                  Originally posted by Solon View Post
                  So, which one of you is writing letters to the editor of the deseret news?



                  Sounds like someone is cribbing their material from this thread.
                  I'm shocked that the green eyed monster lives in Orem.

                  Comment

                  • SeattleUte
                    Faith crisis consultant
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 20837

                    #2379
                    Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                    I'm shocked that the green eyed monster lives in Orem.
                    There are thousands of these types of rationalizations floating around cyberspace. I just clicked over to Cougarboard and look what's at the top of the best seller list:

                    http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=5653328

                    GET A LIFE ZOOBIES, YOU BUNCH OF PATHETIC CRY BABIES!!! Tend your own garden. Time to move on. All that stuff.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                    --Jonathan Swift

                    Comment

                    • SeattleUte
                      Faith crisis consultant
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 20837

                      #2380
                      One thing is clear. The weight of obsession with the rival has definitely shifted to BYU.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                      --Jonathan Swift

                      Comment

                      • UtahDan
                        *
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14496

                        #2381
                        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        There are thousands of these types of rationalizations floating around cyberspace. I just clicked over to Cougarboard and look what's at the top of the best seller list:

                        http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=5653328

                        GET A LIFE ZOOBIES, YOU BUNCH OF PATHETIC CRY BABIES!!! Tend your own garden. Time to move on. All that stuff.
                        I want to be clear I'm not talking about most people around here, but these have to be the same people who say that the refs jobbed them whenever they lose. It is the identical mentality.

                        Comment

                        • SeattleUte
                          Faith crisis consultant
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 20837

                          #2382
                          Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                          I want to be clear I'm not talking about most people around here, but these have to be the same people who say that the refs jobbed them whenever they lose. It is the identical mentality.
                          I agree, sort of. BYU fans don't get any better than guys like Livecoug and Ted Nugent. But some here have surprised and disappointed me.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                          --Jonathan Swift

                          Comment

                          • myboynoah
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 21719

                            #2383
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            I agree, sort of. BYU fans don't get any better than guys like Livecoug and Ted Nugent. But some here have surprised and disappointed me.
                            Oh brother.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                            Comment

                            • FN Phat
                              I ♥ gateway sex
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 8691

                              #2384
                              I'm your huckleberry.


                              "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                              Comment

                              • myboynoah
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 21719

                                #2385
                                Please, now we'll be subjected to a series of posts where SU cherry picks points he made that actually came to pass.
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                                For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                                Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                                Comment

                                Working...