The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    We took the kids to The Good Dinosaur. Amazing and really beautiful animation in this movie. I liked the story although it's very predictable stuff -- the kids were saying on the way home how parts of it were very similar to Finding Nemo and The Lion King (not that that's a bad thing necessarily.) Funniest line has to do with Dreamcrusher, who protects the weird Triceratops from having unrealistic goals.

We watched The Gift recently too. That was excellent -- Jason Bateman does the smug asshole character better than anybody else I think.
    The guy who directed The Gift and played the bad guy, who also was the bad cop in the new Johnny Depp gangster movie, sorry I don't feel like googling, he's very talented, and with greater resources available which he should have now, I expect a lot from him as a director in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      The guy who directed The Gift and played the bad guy, who also was the bad cop in the new Johnny Depp gangster movie, sorry I don't feel like googling, he's very talented, and with greater resources available which he should have now, I expect a lot from him as a director in the future.
      Yes Joel Edgerton -- I agree he was great and has a bright future. Tom Buchanan from The Great Gatsby was the thing I recognized him from.

Comment

• Saw Creed the other night and easily the best Rocky movie since the first one and I think it was Stallone's best performance. I was reluctant to go because I felt like everything after the original Rocky was crap but I really enjoy this.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          Saw Creed the other night and easily the best Rocky movie since the first one and I think it was Stallone's best performance. I was reluctant to go because I felt like everything after the original Rocky was crap but I really enjoy this.
          I hope Creed is good. I love all four Rocky movies, plus Rocky Balboa.

We saw The Good Dinosaur as a family today. Very good, but why do so many Pixar movies have a parent die in them?

Also saw The Martian this week. I thought it was great.
          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
            I hope Creed is good. I love all four Rocky movies, plus Rocky Balboa.

We saw The Good Dinosaur as a family today. Very good, but why do so many Pixar movies have a parent die in them?

Also saw The Martian this week. I thought it was great.
            Dude there are 5 Rocky movies plus Rocky Balboa.

I am definitely gonna see Creed. Looks great.

Comment

Dude there are 5 Rocky movies plus Rocky Balboa.

I am definitely gonna see Creed. Looks great.
              I'm with SJS; that Tommy Morrison one never happened.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                I'm with SJS; that Tommy Morrison one never happened.
                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Creed was meh. Average movie but the Rocky elements elevated it. Still not a great movie. But worth a redbox rental.
                  *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Creed was meh. Average movie but the Rocky elements elevated it. Still not a great movie. But worth a redbox rental.
                    Same here. The rotten tomatoes ratings surprised me.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
                      Same here. The rotten tomatoes ratings surprised me.
                      Yeah, that was weird. Maybe the nostalgia won out for most people.
                      *Banned*

Comment

• Hunger Games 4 Part 2, I'd also go with a meh rating. Not awful, but not amazing.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

We took the kids to The Good Dinosaur. Amazing and really beautiful animation in this movie. I liked the story although it's very predictable stuff -- the kids were saying on the way home how parts of it were very similar to Finding Nemo and The Lion King (not that that's a bad thing necessarily.) Funniest line has to do with Dreamcrusher, who protects the weird Triceratops from having unrealistic goals.
                          I took the family yesterday as well. The animation was excellent. There wasn't that extra layer to the story that seemed to make earlier Pixar films enjoyable for adults, but my children really enjoyed it.
                          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I thought Creed was awesome.

Comment

• The Good Dinosaur: Very bland story. Awesome visuals. I guess they spent all their time/money on the visuals and forgot to tell a compelling story. Pretty unexpected for Pixar but I guess my younger kids were entertained. We hit an early showing so the theater was pretty much empty and by the final 30 minutes I was playing on my phone. If it were a later showing I probably would have slept through most of it.

Inside Out: Great story. I loved most of it. Unique and very well done, even for Pixar.

Home Alone: So many plot holes...but for some reason I always enjoy this one.

Home Alone 2: More plot holes than the first and not nearly as enjoyable.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Creed was awesome. Great spinoff-- it was basically the perfect Rocky movie. They used Rocky's character to perfection. I imagine since Stallone didn't write it, it allowed the character to be written from a great third party perspective. I thought Rocky Balboa's Rocky was a bit too self deprecating. Nobody in Philly in that universe is going to talk sh#t to Rocky and call him a goofy bastard, etc. Here, everybody recognizes him, they treat him like the king, call him 'champ,' but you still see that undercurrent of people naturally trying to use him to their advantage. He's self-deprecating in a different way-- acknowledging that Creed was the perfect fighter and that he was able to beat him because he caught him as he was aging.

Michael B. Jordan was fantastic as well-- obviously a bit on the slim side to really look like Carl Weathers' Apollo Creed, but I'll be damned if he isn't the smitten image of his face with that mustache.

I liked how it mirrored the first Rocky, starting out in Tijuana in a dive fighting a nobody-- much like Rocky started out in a dive, prize-fighting and barely beating a terrible Spider Rico.

I also really liked how they preserved Rocky's legacy and set it in stone, making him an OG and not some old has-been. I never liked how in the past they tried to make Rocky go from riches to rags so that they could reboot the story. He's a much better foil than protagonist at this point, and they did a great job. I wouldn't mind a sequel, which I don't think can be avoided at this point.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X