Biden/Harris: A Presidency for All Americans

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • USUC
    Chronic Poseur
    • Apr 2010
    • 8790

    #1306
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

    You know what else bugs me? All the folks on twitter mocking the negative reaction with statements like, "It blows my mind how all these people who claim to follow Jesus (lds, etc) are upset at loan forgiveness. Have they not read any of his parables? Prodigal son, etc"

    Yeah, because one thing Jesus really emphasized is that the poor folks should be forced to pay for the education of the more wealthy and privileged.

    Knuckleheads.
    Jesus was all about compelled good works and forced distribution of resources. The quickest way to salvation is relegating personal good works to the state so we can focus on our Instagram stories.

    Comment

    • USUC
      Chronic Poseur
      • Apr 2010
      • 8790

      #1307
      There is a chance that this could end up costing more than $1 trillion. And without any congressional oversite or approval. This is constitutional malfeasance. The tyranny of the executive grows.

      President Biden’s new student loan forgiveness plan includes three major components. We estimate that debt cancellation alone will cost up to $519 billion, with about two-thirds of the benefit accruing to households making $88,000 or less. Loan forbearance will cost another $16 billion. The new income-driven repayment (IDR) program would cost another $70 billion, increasing the total plan cost to $605 billion under strict “static” assumptions. However, depending on future IDR program details to be released and potential behavioral (i.e., “non-static”) changes, total plan costs could exceed $1 trillion.

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25267

        #1308
        Originally posted by Commando View Post

        To anybody paying attention it's 'sad to see' Mitt post something so laughably convenient. Isn't he supposed to be a beacon of integrity and not a partisan hack? smh
        See what I mean, folks? Mitt was the Dems' favorite when he would speak out against Trump. But when he doesn't agree with them on everything, he's back to being a bad guy.

        To which the response is almost always, "I actually wasn't ever even that happy with Mitt because he didn't oppose Trump often enough. Also, remember that picture of him and Trump at dinner?"
        Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        I agree, but I could set that aside if it made any kind of economic sense. As JL pointed out it's clearly inflationary and regressive. Literally everyone looking at it with a clear eye agrees on that. It also is a super weird move for people who constantly decry the cost of higher education. This signals business as usual and gives overpriced universities no signal that the gravy train will ever stop or even slow down.
        I don't begrudge people loan or debt forgiveness, especially those who really need it. But this across-the-board fixed amount is just dumb. I know a number of lawyers making a fine living under 250k who are going to benefit from this, when they don't really need the financial help. I would be more on board with some sort of graduated loan forgiveness plan that considers a number of loan details and post-graduation factors, and would require some forgiveness from the lender along with some form of contribution from the institution. And also is tied to some sort of legislation that keeps this entire scenario from repeating in 10 years.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • Commando
          Explosivo
          • Feb 2009
          • 20748

          #1309
          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

          See what I mean, folks? Mitt was the Dems' favorite when he would speak out against Trump. But when he doesn't agree with them on everything, he's back to being a bad guy.
          Who's a 'Dem?' Politically, I like Mitt on some things but he's a total dipshit on immigration stuff. Clueless dipshit-- unfiltered. I actually know why and it's not because he's a dumb person, which makes it even worse.

          And I just thought his tweet on this particular subject was phony. Never said he's a 'bad guy.' In fact, didn't I take pains to express that I like him as a person like two posts earlier?
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

          Comment

          • Commando
            Explosivo
            • Feb 2009
            • 20748

            #1310
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I love commando backtracks.
            Me too. It saves me fifteen fucking days of compulsively arguing with my invisible online acquaintances.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37983

              #1311
              Originally posted by Commando View Post

              Me too. It saves me fifteen fucking days of compulsively arguing with my invisible online acquaintances.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Clark Addison
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10306

                #1312
                Originally posted by Commando View Post

                Me too. It saves me fifteen fucking days of compulsively arguing with my invisible online acquaintances.
                Acquaintances? Come on, man, we're all friends here. It saves you 15 days of arguing with your invisible online buddies.

                Comment

                • BigPiney
                  Huge Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 12366

                  #1313
                  Originally posted by Commando View Post

                  Me too. It saves me fifteen fucking days of compulsively arguing with my invisible online acquaintances.

                  Comment

                  • Commando
                    Explosivo
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 20748

                    #1314
                    Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

                    Acquaintances? Come on, man, we're all friends here. It saves you 15 days of arguing with your invisible online buddies.
                    I would never speak out of turn. I'm sure that guy who told everyone to F off last month doesn't consider a liberal white racist like me a buddy.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                    Comment

                    • Northwestcoug
                      Cocked and Loaded
                      • May 2011
                      • 18022

                      #1315
                      I haven't commented much on this. I get the potential unconstitutionality of it, which I think is important to consider. I don't think it's the smartest bill either, though there are smart income payback provisions in there that many people are ignoring. I'd love to see some teeth addressing the problem of increasing costs. And I'm sure it'll cost more than 300 billion in the long run.

                      But the way some people are framing the morality of this is just too much. The appeal to Jesus is lame, I get that. But framing this as working-class people footing the bill is disingenuous. A lot of those people got loans to go to trade schools. If we're going to play the zero-sum game that a tax break/benefit to someone is ultimately paid by someone else, then let's start with mortgage tax deductions available to home owners. That's billions of dollars in lost revenue yearly that the less advantaged will at some point be responsible for. Or for that matter, unfunded tax breaks.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #1316
                        Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        I haven't commented much on this. I get the potential unconstitutionality of it, which I think is important to consider. I don't think it's the smartest bill either, though there are smart income payback provisions in there that many people are ignoring. I'd love to see some teeth addressing the problem of increasing costs. And I'm sure it'll cost more than 300 billion in the long run.

                        But the way some people are framing the morality of this is just too much. The appeal to Jesus is lame, I get that. But framing this as working-class people footing the bill is disingenuous. A lot of those people got loans to go to trade schools. If we're going to play the zero-sum game that a tax break/benefit to someone is ultimately paid by someone else, then let's start with mortgage tax deductions available to home owners. That's billions of dollars in lost revenue yearly that the less advantaged will at some point be responsible for. Or for that matter, unfunded tax breaks.
                        I'm starting to get irritated with people describing it as a 'slap in the face.' I just think 'Good. At least someone gets to slap you in the face because you're annoying.'
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69696

                          #1317
                          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          I haven't commented much on this. I get the potential unconstitutionality of it, which I think is important to consider. I don't think it's the smartest bill either, though there are smart income payback provisions in there that many people are ignoring. I'd love to see some teeth addressing the problem of increasing costs. And I'm sure it'll cost more than 300 billion in the long run.

                          But the way some people are framing the morality of this is just too much. The appeal to Jesus is lame, I get that. But framing this as working-class people footing the bill is disingenuous. A lot of those people got loans to go to trade schools. If we're going to play the zero-sum game that a tax break/benefit to someone is ultimately paid by someone else, then let's start with mortgage tax deductions available to home owners. That's billions of dollars in lost revenue yearly that the less advantaged will at some point be responsible for. Or for that matter, unfunded tax breaks.
                          You know what else is disingenuous? Claiming that everyone who works in the trades went to a trade school and took out a loan to do it. My extended family is loaded with people in the trades and most of them did not go to a trade school and those who did went for 6 months to a year and paid for it by saving money and working part time. Not a single one of them took out a loan. They are all incredibly hard working and frugal people who now have yet another (and in this case legitimate) reason to hate Joe Biden.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Commando
                            Explosivo
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 20748

                            #1318
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                            You know what else is disingenuous? Claiming that everyone who works in the trades went to a trade school and took out a loan to do it. My extended family is loaded with people in the trades and most of them did not go to a trade school and those who did went for 6 months to a year and paid for it by saving money and working part time. Not a single one of them took out a loan. They are all incredibly hard working and frugal people who now have yet another (and in this case legitimate) reason to hate Joe Biden.
                            Sounds like my family. Otherwise very nice people except very horny to hate Biden for any reason at all. They creep me out when they talk politics bc it legitimately feels like a mental disorder.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                            Comment

                            • Northwestcoug
                              Cocked and Loaded
                              • May 2011
                              • 18022

                              #1319
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                              You know what else is disingenuous? Claiming that everyone who works in the trades went to a trade school and took out a loan to do it. My extended family is loaded with people in the trades and most of them did not go to a trade school and those who did went for 6 months to a year and paid for it by saving money and working part time. Not a single one of them took out a loan. They are all incredibly hard working and frugal people who now have yet another (and in this case legitimate) reason to hate Joe Biden.
                              Who is claiming that every tradesperson took out a loan???

                              Good on your family members that were able to fund their training without taking loans. But I'm reasonably confident that a significant percentage of similar people have taken out loans. Some of them had to. Others were likely enticed because it was easy government money. Kind of like me my last year at the Y.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

                              Comment

                              • Maximus
                                Senior Member
                                • Sep 2009
                                • 6018

                                #1320
                                why the outrage over this compared to the countless bailouts?
                                https://twitter.com/9mmballpoint/status/1563228475091472384?s=20&t=bHRm04o0e3vjxzlqWnslKQ

                                if we can bail out corporations we can give some student debt relief. better that money goes into the economy anyways

                                if we called this a tax credit..?
                                Last edited by Maximus; 08-26-2022, 12:12 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...