Biden/Harris: A Presidency for All Americans

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Commando
    Explosivo
    • Feb 2009
    • 20748

    #1291
    Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

    Oh come on. He's a politician. He can't be completely nonpartisan. I think his record and integrity speaks for itself.
    True- I just need to lower my standards as long as there is a vocal minority of psychopaths a politician needs to appease to stay in office.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69718

      #1292
      Originally posted by Commando View Post

      To anybody paying attention it's 'sad to see' Mitt post something so laughably convenient. Isn't he supposed to be a beacon of integrity and not a partisan hack? smh
      This is a dumb take. Mitt is right.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Commando
        Explosivo
        • Feb 2009
        • 20748

        #1293
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

        This is a dumb take. Mitt is right.
        Oh I'm sure he was all up in arms when I got a 'you're welcome' letter from Donald Trump when the stimulus checks came out. Republicans really really need a W right now but this ain't it.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

        Comment

        • Moliere
          One man.....one pie
          • Oct 2009
          • 27886

          #1294
          Originally posted by Commando View Post

          Oh I'm sure he was all up in arms when I got a 'you're welcome' letter from Donald Trump when the stimulus checks came out. Republicans really really need a W right now but this ain't it.
          It’s certainly not a W for the GOP but it’s not a great policy for the dems. It helps to remind me that the Democratic Party is just as bad and corrupt as the GOP.

          Maybe the next EO can be to forgive mortgages for all Americans that live in houses worth less than $250k. I mean, that would be more meaningful than canceling student loan debt.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

          Comment

          • Commando
            Explosivo
            • Feb 2009
            • 20748

            #1295
            Originally posted by Moliere View Post

            It’s certainly not a W for the GOP but it’s not a great policy for the dems. It helps to remind me that the Democratic Party is just as bad and corrupt as the GOP.

            Maybe the next EO can be to forgive mortgages for all Americans that live in houses worth less than $250k. I mean, that would be more meaningful than canceling student loan debt.
            Student loan forgiveness is absolutely economic stimulus. Reducing young Americans' debt to income ratio is pretty meaningful any way you slice it. Now if we can the government to curb real estate gobbling by hedge funds, we'd have something that actually combats inflation...
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

            Comment

            • USUC
              Chronic Poseur
              • Apr 2010
              • 8795

              #1296
              Originally posted by Commando View Post
              Student loan forgiveness is absolutely economic stimulus.

              Comment

              • Commando
                Explosivo
                • Feb 2009
                • 20748

                #1297
                Originally posted by USUC View Post

                Yes very difficult to grasp that a lower monthly loan payment and better credit would stimulate consumer spending.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69718

                  #1298
                  Originally posted by Commando View Post

                  Yes very difficult to grasp that a lower monthly loan payment and better credit would stimulate consumer spending.
                  Ah yes. An economic stimulus is just what we need during a period of record inflation.

                  The lengths you’re going to to defend this are weird. Even the New York Times admits it’s bad for the economy and regressive.

                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Moliere
                    One man.....one pie
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 27886

                    #1299
                    Originally posted by Commando View Post

                    Yes very difficult to grasp that a lower monthly loan payment and better credit would stimulate consumer spending.
                    Paying off consumer credit cards would be even better to stimulate the economy. It would even be progressive.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                    Comment

                    • Commando
                      Explosivo
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 20748

                      #1300
                      Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                      Paying off consumer credit cards would be even better to stimulate the economy. It would even be progressive.
                      ... ok. You realize I have no say in any of this, right?
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #1301
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                        Ah yes. An economic stimulus is just what we need during a period of record inflation.

                        The lengths you’re going to to defend this are weird. Even the New York Times admits it’s bad for the economy and regressive.
                        lengths? I made fun of Mitt Romney for being a clunky GOP-bot and other than that I basically have no problem w student loan forgiveness from an ethical perspective. I don't know whether something like this has been done and I kind of want to see how it plays out. I know I launched a few arguments and surmises, but whether it's ultimately adverse to the economy in terms of... long-term inflation or whatever, I obviously can't say. (Isn't macroeconomic studies a retrofitter's game?) Are those economic arguments really why others seem to be so against it, or is it really because the Bat Signal for their righteous indignation went up and they can't resist the call? Seems like just another flavor of insecurity and social validation people are after (mainly those who really snatched up this unique opportunity to shout from the rooftops how hard they worked and how quickly they paid off their loans) with a twist of conservative tribalism (and maybe this observation belongs in the fb thread) but maybe I'm wrong.

                        And hey-- who's to say that all those savings won't get socked away for a rainy day instead of spent on other things in the consumer economy? I'm not that interested in building a tower to defend on this issue mainly because it's kind of a boring subject about which I'm honestly not that strongly opinionated, and again... I have no say in any of this, so...
                        Last edited by Commando; 08-25-2022, 11:08 PM.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • Moliere
                          One man.....one pie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 27886

                          #1302
                          Originally posted by Commando View Post

                          lengths? I made fun of Mitt Romney for being a clunky GOP-bot and other than that I basically have no problem w student loan forgiveness from an ethical perspective. I don't know whether something like this has been done and I kind of want to see how it plays out. I know I launched a few arguments and surmises, but whether it's ultimately adverse to the economy in terms of... long-term inflation or whatever, I obviously can't say. (Isn't macroeconomic studies a retrofitter's game?) Are those economic arguments really why others seem to be so against it, or is it really because the Bat Signal for their righteous indignation went up and they can't resist the call? Seems like just another flavor of insecurity and social validation people are after (mainly those who really snatched up this unique opportunity to shout from the rooftops how hard they worked and how quickly they paid off their loans) with a twist of conservative tribalism (and maybe this observation belongs in the fb thread) but maybe I'm wrong.

                          And hey-- who's to say that all those savings won't get socked away for a rainy day instead of spent on other things in the consumer economy? I'm not that interested in building a tower to defend on this issue mainly because it's kind of a boring subject about which I'm honestly not that strongly opinionated, and again... I have no say in any of this, so...
                          My main opposition to it is it’s unfair. It’s unfair to people that planned and struggled to avoid or pay off loans. It’s unfair to tradespeople that didn’t go to college and instead learned a skill or started a small business. It’s unfair to the factory worker or union employee that only ha sa college degree. Those people now share in the burden of paying off the student loans that they never signed up for.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                          Comment

                          • Omaha 680
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2011
                            • 11182

                            #1303
                            Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                            My main opposition to it is it’s unfair. It’s unfair to people that planned and struggled to avoid or pay off loans. It’s unfair to tradespeople that didn’t go to college and instead learned a skill or started a small business. It’s unfair to the factory worker or union employee that only ha sa college degree. Those people now share in the burden of paying off the student loans that they never signed up for.
                            I agree, but I could set that aside if it made any kind of economic sense. As JL pointed out it's clearly inflationary and regressive. Literally everyone looking at it with a clear eye agrees on that. It also is a super weird move for people who constantly decry the cost of higher education. This signals business as usual and gives overpriced universities no signal that the gravy train will ever stop or even slow down.

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37988

                              #1304
                              I love commando backtracks.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69718

                                #1305
                                Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

                                I agree, but I could set that aside if it made any kind of economic sense. As JL pointed out it's clearly inflationary and regressive. Literally everyone looking at it with a clear eye agrees on that. It also is a super weird move for people who constantly decry the cost of higher education. This signals business as usual and gives overpriced universities no signal that the gravy train will ever stop or even slow down.
                                You know what else bugs me? All the folks on twitter mocking the negative reaction with statements like, "It blows my mind how all these people who claim to follow Jesus (lds, etc) are upset at loan forgiveness. Have they not read any of his parables? Prodigal son, etc"

                                Yeah, because one thing Jesus really emphasized is that the poor folks should be forced to pay for the education of the more wealthy and privileged.

                                Knuckleheads.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...