Biden/Harris: A Presidency for All Americans

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Goatnapper'96
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10924

    #541
    Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

    i think it is unrealistic to think things should magically be better because smart people thought about it. i’m not even sure what the harm that should have been avoided is here—translators and other afghani facilitators being left high and dry? that’s certainly an issue, but if there are only enough seats on the c17 for americans, americans should get them. sounds like there are ongoing efforts to deal with these folks anyhow. is it the collapse of the government? the government was not going to survive being delegitimized by the trump admin. that damage was done. leaving equipment there? as has been noted, it was afghan mil equipment that they abandoned,
    The issue was the assurances the CIC gave that this wouldn't happen. I am concerned that after all that time the POTUS was totally wrong in what would happen. Our plans on withdrawal were based upon a very flawed prediction of what was about to occur. I find that very concerning after all the years and money we spent in an effort to avoid what has happened. I agree that what has happened was inevitable and we have no interest or obligation to that land or its peoples, save the few who helped us which I think time will show we did our best to help, but I am deeply concerned that after all that time and money there the analysis the POTUS offered was the best our institutions could do. That worries me far more than what happened January 06. The key to avoiding January 06's is to provide folks reasons to believe their government institutions have a clue. I get how angry people get at bat shit crazy websites spewing bat shit crazy stuff and people believing it-but the soundbites President Biden offered are not helpful if that is really something we want to avoid.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69706

      #542
      I like Liz Cheney but she might want to sit this one out.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • frank ryan
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 12373

        #543
        If Biden didn’t pull out (which I think he should have at least delayed) he would be getting shit on for seeing our forces in conflict with a re-emergent Taliban. Ted and his friends on Twitter would call him a warmonger. If I had the patience to search past threads I’m sure we can find Ted championing Trump’s pullout plans.

        Also, napper seriously thinks Biden is unfit to be POTUS? Four years of muted criticism of Trump at best from you. That’s a bit much. Were you a 2x Trump voter?

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69706

          #544
          Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          If Biden didn’t pull out (which I think he should have at least delayed) he would be getting shit on for seeing our forces in conflict with a re-emergent Taliban. Ted and his friends on Twitter would call him a warmonger. If I had the patience to search past threads I’m sure we can find Ted championing Trump’s pullout plans.

          Also, napper seriously thinks Biden is unfit to be POTUS? Four years of muted criticism of Trump at best from you. That’s a bit much. Were you a 2x Trump voter?
          Sounds like he voted for Hillary in 2016 and Trump in 2020.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27882

            #545
            Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

            there isn’t a better plan. the only other plan is some form of perpetual american presence at a scale large enough to repel a trained and determined enemy ideologically committed to their objective, with worse than no help from the occupied populace. that is not palatable to me, at least. this isn’t korea.
            There’s isn’t a better plan than frantically rescuing American citizens and strategic allied personnel from embassies and other places, sometimes by helicopter? There certainly has to be a better way to get necessary people out before the Afghan government fell or at least have Kabul stabilized while we evacuate.

            again, few people think we should be there long term. The misstep is over the current evacuation, which is more of a free for all that would make the Lord of the Flies jealous instead of a planned and organized evacuation.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • frank ryan
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 12373

              #546
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

              Sounds like he voted for Hillary in 2016 and Trump in 2020.
              Man, I would not have guessed that for a million bucks. If Hillary was less abrasive and condescending I think she could have been a capable president.

              Comment

              • Art Vandelay
                Striving for mediocrity
                • Jul 2009
                • 10516

                #547
                Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

                Man, I would not have guessed that for a million bucks. If Hillary was less abrasive and condescending I think she could have been a capable president.
                you left out the part about not having ovaries

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69706

                  #548
                  Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

                  Man, I would not have guessed that for a million bucks. If Hillary was less abrasive and condescending I think she could have been a capable president.
                  Actually, he just said he voted for a loser in both elections. Could have been the libertarian candidate. Those guys always lose.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #549
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I like Liz Cheney but she might want to sit this one out.
                    No... I enjoy seeing CatTurd sparring with her on Twitter.


                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Goatnapper'96
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10924

                      #550
                      Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      If Biden didn’t pull out (which I think he should have at least delayed) he would be getting shit on for seeing our forces in conflict with a re-emergent Taliban. Ted and his friends on Twitter would call him a warmonger. If I had the patience to search past threads I’m sure we can find Ted championing Trump’s pullout plans.

                      Also, napper seriously thinks Biden is unfit to be POTUS? Four years of muted criticism of Trump at best from you. That’s a bit much. Were you a 2x Trump voter?
                      I did not vote for either Clinton or Trump in '16 and did not vote for either Biden or Trump in '20. I am conservative so I am not real prone to vote for Democrats because they tend to favor liberal issues. Saying that I probably could have voted for Clinton in '16 as I didn't find her husband's tenure ideologically so off-putting-especially after the '94 midterm until the end of his 2nd term, but I feel likewise about the Clinton's venality as I did Trump. In neither case was I comfortable voting for either to be President of the US. By the time Biden in '20 came along I was convinced there was no way I could find enough common ground with a National Democrat President to vote for one even if I was convinced, as was the case with Trump, that the Republican nominee was a total charlatan.

                      Yes- I think Biden's prediction of what would happen was clueless enough, when compared with what happened, to disqualify him from being somebody I think should be President. However, as I have repeatedly said this is a much, much deeper issue in our civilization where our lack of honesty and competency is glaring and frightening. This type of clueless leadership is how our electorate gets to the point that it elects charlatans like Trump. My criticism about Trump all along is more a criticism of us as we the electorate facilitate an atmosphere where folks like him can thrive. Then we jerk back in another direction liking cuddly Uncle Joe wether or not, as recent events indicate, he is up to the job.

                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

                      I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

                      Comment

                      • Bo Diddley
                        Senior
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 18791

                        #551
                        Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

                        I did not vote for either Clinton or Trump in '16 and did not vote for either Biden or Trump in '20. I am conservative so I am not real prone to vote for Democrats because they tend to favor liberal issues. Saying that I probably could have voted for Clinton in '16 as I didn't find her husband's tenure ideologically so off-putting-especially after the '94 midterm until the end of his 2nd term, but I feel likewise about the Clinton's venality as I did Trump. In neither case was I comfortable voting for either to be President of the US. By the time Biden in '20 came along I was convinced there was no way I could find enough common ground with a National Democrat President to vote for one even if I was convinced, as was the case with Trump, that the Republican nominee was a total charlatan.

                        Yes- I think Biden's prediction of what would happen was clueless enough, when compared with what happened, to disqualify him from being somebody I think should be President. However, as I have repeatedly said this is a much, much deeper issue in our civilization where our lack of honesty and competency is glaring and frightening. This type of clueless leadership is how our electorate gets to the point that it elects charlatans like Trump. My criticism about Trump all along is more a criticism of us as we the electorate facilitate an atmosphere where folks like him can thrive. Then we jerk back in another direction liking cuddly Uncle Joe wether or not, as recent events indicate, he is up to the job.

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Ted
                          The Big 12 money shot.
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 28853

                          #552
                          WSJ Editorial Board tells Biden to own up...

                          Biden to Afghanistan: Drop Dead
                          Biden is defiant in blaming others for his Afghan debacle.

                          By The Editorial Board

                          President Biden told the world on Monday that he doesn’t regret his decision to withdraw rapidly from Afghanistan, or even the chaotic, incompetent way the withdrawal has been executed. He is determined in retreat, defiant in surrender, and confident in the rightness of consigning the country to jihadist rule. We doubt the world will see it the same way in the days, months and years ahead.

                          Mr. Biden refused to accept responsibility for the botched withdrawal while blaming others. He blamed Donald Trump’s peace deal with the Taliban and falsely claimed again that he was trapped. He blamed his three predecessors for not getting out of Afghanistan. He blamed the Afghans for not fighting hard enough, their leaders for fleeing, and even Afghans who helped us for not leaving sooner. The one group he conspicuously did not blame was the Taliban, who once harbored Osama bin Laden and may protect his terrorist successor.

                          The President made glancing reference to the horrible scenes unfolding in Kabul and especially at the airport, though again without addressing the mistakes that led to them. Had the U.S. not given up the air base at Bagram, now controlled by the Taliban, the U.S. would not now have to fight to control Kabul’s commercial airfield.

                          The chaotic scenes at the airport, with Afghans hanging from a U.S. military plane and two falling from the sky to their deaths, will be the indelible images of this debacle. They are the echo of 9/11, with people falling from the sky, that Mr. Biden didn’t anticipate when he chose the 20th anniversary of 9/11 as his withdrawal deadline.

                          Instead of taking responsibility, Mr. Biden played to the sentiment of Americans who are tired of foreign military missions. It’s a powerful point to speak of sending a child to risk his life in a foreign country, and no doubt it will resonate with many Americans. It is a question that every President should ask.

                          But the President was dishonest in framing the U.S. mission merely as fighting in another country’s “civil war.” The U.S. didn’t remain in Afghanistan for 20 years to send women to school or to “nation build.” The core mission was to prevent the country from again becoming a terrorist safe haven. The Taliban’s victory will now attract thousands of young jihadists from around the world, and they will have Americans and the U.S. homeland in their sights.

                          Mr. Biden said he would maintain a “counterterrorism over-the-horizon capability” to strike camps in Afghanistan, but that will be much harder from the distance of the Persian Gulf. This is a far bigger risk than he lets on, as U.S. intelligence agencies know.

                          Mr. Biden was also dishonest in framing his Afghan decision as a false choice between total withdrawal and sending tens of thousands of troops again. He knows his own advisers, military and civilian, believed they could support the Afghan military with no more than a few thousand troops to supply air power and intelligence.

                          He also knows the U.S. hasn’t had a single casualty in more than a year in Afghanistan. Even if Mr. Biden was set on withdrawal, he could have done it based on conditions that would have given the Taliban more incentive to negotiate with the government.

                          Mr. Biden claimed that Afghan leaders Ashraf Ghani and Abdullah Abdullah had refused his advice to negotiate with the Taliban. That is false. They had been negotiating with the Taliban for months, under enormous pressure from the Trump Administration. The problem is that the Taliban had no incentive to negotiate in good faith when it knew the U.S. was leaving and would be able to take its chances on a military victory.

                          Like all good liberal internationalists, Mr. Biden thinks you can achieve a diplomatic outcome by diplomacy alone. Mr. Biden’s claim that the U.S. will continue to support the Afghan people and stand for human rights and the women of Afghanistan is the same kind of internationalist twaddle. The Taliban is taking the women of Afghanistan back to the Dark Ages, and the “international community” will do nothing to stop it. Mr. Biden’s words of “support” will be cold comfort when the Taliban knocks on the doors of women who worked in the Afghan government.

                          We had hoped that Mr. Biden would accept some responsibility and explain how he would fix this mess. He did none of that, making it clear that he himself is the main architect of this needless American surrender. It does not bode well for the rest of his Presidency.

                          The world has seen a President portraying surrender as an act of political courage, and retreat as strategic wisdom. As we write this, the world’s rogues are looking for ways to give him a chance to deliver a similar speech about other parts of the world.


                          And Video: https://www.wsj.com/video/series/opi...B-ED5B188E2A9A

                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #553
                            LOL... So apparently the White House released a photo of Joe on a conference call that was taken before March 28th:



                            Joe must had been napping and they didn't want to wake him up for the photo op so they just used some old picture of him "working".
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • old_gregg
                              scaly man fish
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 16915

                              #554
                              funny whom the wsj ed board are willing to hold accountable
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                              Comment

                              • Moliere
                                One man.....one pie
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 27882

                                #555
                                Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                LOL... So apparently the White House released a photo of Joe on a conference call that was taken before March 28th:



                                Joe must had been napping and they didn't want to wake him up for the photo op so they just used some old picture of him "working".
                                Wow, if it is true that they used a three month old photo, that’s horrible. I’m glad Biden is getting raked over the coals. He deserves it.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                                Comment

                                Working...