No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finished my first full year of running with 368.28 miles and an average pace of 12:12. Which is an improvement from a 13:25 pace in 2012. I still get passed by grandmas with their walkers.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
      I finished my first full year of running with 368.28 miles and an average pace of 12:12. Which is an improvement from a 13:25 pace in 2012. I still get passed by grandmas with their walkers.
      Way to go!
      I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        Counting today, there are 100 days left in the year. My goal is to run on as many of those days as I can.
        I tallied my results. I ran 75 out of 100 days for a total of 411 miles. I would have liked to hit more than 75% of the days, but between the birth of a child, getting sick a couple of times, some work crunches, the holidays, etc., I'll take it.
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
          I tallied my results. I ran 75 out of 100 days for a total of 411 miles. I would have liked to hit more than 75% of the days, but between the birth of a child, getting sick a couple of times, some work crunches, the holidays, etc., I'll take it.
          Slacker.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I decided to show what an idiot I am by braving the 10-degree temps and wind this morning and getting a quick run in. My hands were stinging so badly when I returned! I was also in pain downstairs! Even after things felt better and I finally changed and hopped in the shower, I was regretting the decision to run. Don't be an idiot, don't run in that weather again.
            I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• This has probably been posted before, but I saw it today and thought I'd share:
              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                I decided to show what an idiot I am by braving the 10-degree temps and wind this morning and getting a quick run in. My hands were stinging so badly when I returned! I was also in pain downstairs! Even after things felt better and I finally changed and hopped in the shower, I was regretting the decision to run. Don't be an idiot, don't run in that weather again.
                It was 29 degrees when I ran on Monday. I thought that was cold. Last Friday I did 15 miles in 32 degree weather and my right hand got really cold even though I was wearing gloves. I pulled it inside my sleeve and it warmed up fairly quickly, but I'm hoping the colder morning weather is behind me now. I can't imagine running in 10 degree weather.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  It was 29 degrees when I ran on Monday. I thought that was cold. Last Friday I did 15 miles in 32 degree weather and my right hand got really cold even though I was wearing gloves. I pulled it inside my sleeve and it warmed up fairly quickly, but I'm hoping the colder morning weather is behind me now. I can't imagine running in 10 degree weather.
                  My limit is 15 degrees, at that temperature it takes about a mile and a half before I can feel my fingers. If I had mittens rather than fingered gloves, I'd probably go out at even colder than 15, but I'm not going to buy mittens and a facemask just so I can run with them 2-3 times a year. I do think it's pretty cool that even at that low temperature my body warms up to the point that I'm sweating pretty good when I get back.
                  - Howard Aiken

Comment

This has probably been posted before, but I saw it today and thought I'd share:

It's important to not worry too much about your speed relative to others....unless you are trying to reach the podium. The beauty of running and triathlons is that most people are out there competing against themselves, trying for a new PR. That's what really causes the immense amount of support and camaraderie and what makes race day so much freakin' fun.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

My limit is 15 degrees, at that temperature it takes about a mile and a half before I can feel my fingers. If I had mittens rather than fingered gloves, I'd probably go out at even colder than 15, but I'm not going to buy mittens and a facemask just so I can run with them 2-3 times a year. I do think it's pretty cool that even at that low temperature my body warms up to the point that I'm sweating pretty good when I get back.
                      6 degrees yesterday morning during my five mile run. Even the headlamp batteries gave out within 30 minutes. Felt cold all day

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiente View Post
                        6 degrees yesterday morning during my five mile run. Even the headlamp batteries gave out within 30 minutes. Felt cold all day
                        I'm impressed by your diligence and that of several others around here, but for as for me and my house, if I'm running in near zero temps at a time that requires a headlamp, I'd reassess my life. Still, I bow before your commitment.

Comment

• I have great admiration for anyone who can sit on a bike for 100 miles. ouch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiente View Post
                            I have great admiration for anyone who can sit on a bike for 100 miles. ouch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                            Riding 100 miles is much easier than running 10 miles. And you were using a headlamp you crazy runner! The missus is crazier than I but she ran in minus 25 degrees windchill. It was only minus 4 without windchill.

I rode the stationary bike indoors.
                            Last edited by Topper; 01-09-2014, 08:12 AM.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              Riding 100 miles is much easier than running 10 miles...
                              I disagree, but I get the point. The easy thing about riding is that you can coast a lot and take it easier, while running requires a constant effort. Certainly the calorie burn on a century is going to be way more than a ten-mile run, but the difficulty with either depends a lot on how much or how little one puts into it. And sitting on a splitting wedge can become a bit painful after five hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                And sitting on a splitting wedge can become a bit painful after five hours.
                                That's what this is for:

"What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                                X