The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
    don't know if it's possible or too much hassle, but I for one would be interested to see samples of what you're seeing along with ideas about how you are going to fix it, and thoughts about what you're looking for in your form. Would make a great contribution to this thread IMO. Feel free to disregard.
    Actually, I'm thinking of restarting my running blog to talk specifically about this. The other benefit would be that my BIL - who is an elite runner - could help me out as well.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I'd like to see some video accompanied by some stride analysis as well, n'man, as I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing (except that I know I'm NOT supposed to be doing a marathon). On the plus side, I went out this morning hoping to do five, but felt so good at a leisurely pace (9:45) I went 6.2 and feel great.

You want to run into your 50's and 60's? You should have followed my regimen: don't start until you're 57; then your back and joints can begin nice and fresh!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        I'd like to see some video accompanied by some stride analysis as well, n'man, as I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing (except that I know I'm NOT supposed to be doing a marathon). On the plus side, I went out this morning hoping to do five, but felt so good at a leisurely pace (9:45) I went 6.2 and feel great.

You want to run into your 50's and 60's? You should have followed my regimen: don't start until you're 57; then your back and joints can begin nice and fresh!
        My problem is that I know exactly what form I want to and think I should have. The problem is it just bece very obvious that I don't have it. Things I learned from tue videos (which I am still embarrassed to post): I still overstride, I still heelstrike more than I should (note that many elites - notably Meb - heel strike to some degree), I don't use my knees correctly, I slouch when I run, I have way way way way too much lateral movement on both arms and body as a whole (the last two are interrelated). And I'm too heavy, but that's a separate issue.

Notably, I do midfoot strike sometimes. That's good in terms of where I want to get. The Nike shoes i use have a small heel elevation and that helps.

I have done a lot of research on the matter over the last few months (the desire to change my stride is not new; the realization my current form is this bad is). Based on that research and the advice of a well trained elite runner who happens to be in the family, I am taking the following steps:

1. Weighting twice a week to improve the strength of my adductors/abductors in particular. My hips as "collapsing" on impact for a variety of reasons and that's not good.

2. Run barefoot in my VFFs at least once a week.

3. Focus more on form every run. Specifically, good posture, slight forward lean, midfoot strike, no overstriding, using hamstrings to pick the foot off the ground, etc. And no torsional rotation!

4. My wife is going to take video of me at least once a month so I can analyze my gait. I'm going to do the same for her. I know what good gait is and looks like - let's see if I can train myself to do it.

PAC and Ohio (and others), I can PM you the blog link once I get it started again.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
          My problem is that I know exactly what form I want to and think I should have. The problem is it just bece very obvious that I don't have it. Things I learned from tue videos (which I am still embarrassed to post): I still overstride, I still heelstrike more than I should (note that many elites - notably Meb - heel strike to some degree), I don't use my knees correctly, I slouch when I run, I have way way way way too much lateral movement on both arms and body as a whole (the last two are interrelated). And I'm too heavy, but that's a separate issue.

Notably, I do midfoot strike sometimes. That's good in terms of where I want to get. The Nike shoes i use have a small heel elevation and that helps.

I have done a lot of research on the matter over the last few months (the desire to change my stride is not new; the realization my current form is this bad is). Based on that research and the advice of a well trained elite runner who happens to be in the family, I am taking the following steps:

1. Weighting twice a week to improve the strength of my adductors/abductors in particular. My hips as "collapsing" on impact for a variety of reasons and that's not good.

2. Run barefoot in my VFFs at least once a week.

3. Focus more on form every run. Specifically, good posture, slight forward lean, midfoot strike, no overstriding, using hamstrings to pick the foot off the ground, etc. And no torsional rotation!

4. My wife is going to take video of me at least once a month so I can analyze my gait. I'm going to do the same for her. I know what good gait is and looks like - let's see if I can train myself to do it.

PAC and Ohio (and others), I can PM you the blog link once I get it started again.

I'd love to be included in that blog link as well.

I don't think my running form is bad. I just don't think it is good either. Recently I've tried to concentrate on a few simple things like keeping my back straight, keeping my hands relaxed, not swinging my arms too much and keeping them closer to waist level than chest level, keeping my head up, etc. Really, the overall focus is just being relaxed and running easy.

With that in mind, I'd really like to see some pointers on what good running form is and how to copy it.

Comment

I can PM you the blog link once I get it started again.

That would be awesome.

I have yet to understand how my hips should be when I run. I read things about how the core should be engaged, but I don't get it yet. Also the hips 'collapsing' thing you mentioned Nik...anyone help me out on that one?

Comment

• Another question while I'm asking...

So I have a 'first' coming up....my first entered race that I won't be able to run. Hale Freezes Over in Orem in about 9 days from now. I was looking forward to a late January 10k in the cold and am bummed that though I'm recovering from my hip flexor/iliopsoas issue it's not happening soon enough for me to run.

So the swag includes two tickets each (total of 4) to a couple Hale Center shows. Which means I'm most definitely going to go at least get my t-shirt and the tickets, which I'm assuming are rightly mine for having paid the registration. But do I just go and come home? Should I volunteer to help out?

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                Another question while I'm asking...

So I have a 'first' coming up....my first entered race that I won't be able to run. Hale Freezes Over in Orem in about 9 days from now. I was looking forward to a late January 10k in the cold and am bummed that though I'm recovering from my hip flexor/iliopsoas issue it's not happening soon enough for me to run.

So the swag includes two tickets each (total of 4) to a couple Hale Center shows. Which means I'm most definitely going to go at least get my t-shirt and the tickets, which I'm assuming are rightly mine for having paid the registration. But do I just go and come home? Should I volunteer to help out?
                I'd say go and get the stuff - but whether you stick around or not is entirely up to you. I do know that some races could use extra help while others have plenty of volunteers. Maybe you ask how they are for volunteers and then decide. You might even be able to email them now and see if they need help or not.

Last summer I went to cheer on a friend at a local sprint tri and ended up volunteering to help sit on the corner where the folks on bikes transition from the rec center parking lot to the road. They told me a cop would be joining me, but he never showed. This was a family tri with folks from age 8 to 80, and I know that I kept at least a dozen people from being hit by cars - and probably more than that if I hadn't been there.

Of course, I've also seen races where they have so many volunteers that many are just standing around with nothing to do.

Comment

• Heck, we're among friends - I'll just give you the url. The blog is still undergoing some formatting changes. Also, I'm going to replace the lo-res versions of the videos with some better ones from Youtube over the next couple of days.

http://blackenedtoenails.blogspot.com

Comment

• I'm officially registered to run my first 5K on Feb 12. I'm nervous as I have no idea how to train up to the race. I'll try and poke around on the interwebs to see if there is some good advice, however if you have any please share. A 5K isn't long but I'd like to go into the race feeling tiptop.

My runs have been gaining time. This morning I ran a 5K distance at a pace of 8:07/mile. I was going to set a goal time of 25 minutes for the 5K but based on my recent times I might move that goal to 24:45 or maybe even 24:30.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• You runners need to read the book "Born to Run". It talks about how the new modern shoe is causing more injuries because it has changed us from running on the balls of our feet to becoming a heel striker first runner. I"ve got a knee that keeps me from running and the doctor says I've got about five more years with it before I need a new one. This knee got me on a bike but keeps me from running and I really wish I had that option. Anyway last night at the gym I tried running a little more forward and trying to land on the middle of my foot and not the heel and my knee felt better. I just wondered if anybody else has read the book and changed their running style and if it made any difference?

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        You runners need to read the book "Born to Run". It talks about how the new modern shoe is causing more injuries because it has changed us from running on the balls of our feet to becoming a heel striker first runner. I"ve got a knee that keeps me from running and the doctor says I've got about five more years with it before I need a new one. This knee got me on a bike but keeps me from running and I really wish I had that option. Anyway last night at the gym I tried running a little more forward and trying to land on the middle of my foot and not the heel and my knee felt better. I just wondered if anybody else has read the book and changed their running style and if it made any difference?
                        Read it. Love it. I have experimented on the word and have found it to be good. It describes some of the reasons and ways I am trying to change my form. I ran this morning with the newer form to great success. I have to have the wife take some video though to see if it is legit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                          I'm officially registered to run my first 5K on Feb 12. I'm nervous as I have no idea how to train up to the race. I'll try and poke around on the interwebs to see if there is some good advice, however if you have any please share. A 5K isn't long but I'd like to go into the race feeling tiptop.

My runs have been gaining time. This morning I ran a 5K distance at a pace of 8:07/mile. I was going to set a goal time of 25 minutes for the 5K but based on my recent times I might move that goal to 24:45 or maybe even 24:30.
                          Couple of thoughts. I'd make a race plan that includes at least three time goals (a stretch, a reasonable goal, an easier goal). I'd also figure your splits for each goal and then let the first half mile tell you which ones are in reach. That race is on dirt roads, so that's something to consider.

Also, my personal opinion is that your first mile should be your slowest.

Comment

Read it. Love it. I have experimented on the word and have found it to be good. It describes some of the reasons and ways I am trying to change my form. I ran this morning with the newer form to great success. I have to have the wife take some video though to see if it is legit.
                            http://outsideonline.com/fitness/tra...ev_154059.html

I saw this in Outside where it talks about the influence that book has had on the sale of shoes.

Comment

I saw this in Outside where it talks about the influence that book has had on the sale of shoes.
                              That sort of describes the approach I'm using. I run once a week in my VFFs on one of my shorter runs - but I wear them all over the place. I don't think I will ever race in them, but I'm currently moving to less cushioned shoes with lower heel rises and I'm using the VfFs to train my form. This is one of the reasons I love the Nike LunarGlides even though I usually hate Nike shoes - they have a small heel rise which makes midfoot striking easier. Compare that to my Gel Landreths and their heel rise.

Comment

That book has started a craze that, as more major shoe companies start making their own versions of vibrams, I predict will lead to a surge of injuries among runners. I'm not saying the whole book/idea is crap--of course it's not; just that a lot of people will think "hey the Tarahumara did it so can I" and "running minimally shod is so ultra-cool" and they'll buy their vibrams and start running every day in them and BAM injury.

I say this in part because I've already seen it happen a few times. People new to running, who read the book and got sucked into all the hype out there and the running-shoes-are-evil mentality. Never having run for longer than 10 minutes in their lives to that point and away they go. Or another lady who thought she could buy some VFF and keep her current training schedule, and was shocked a week later to have serious foot/ankle/calf problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X