The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
    42:58. Field was a bit weaker than it was in prior years because of the bigger race last weekend, but it was still a field of about 1700 (not in my age group - about 90 in my age group). Finished 18th overall.
    That's awesome!

Comment

• Great run, P.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• While vacationing earlier this month, I decided to do an easy two-mile run on the ship's track wearing my Garmin. Although I was running at about 10 min/mile, I got credit for a 5:44/pace. It's interesting to see the change in pace as I headed either fore or aft. I thought about running around the two aisles of the Lufthansa jumbo jet on the way home (I'd be looking at a roughly 530 mph pace) but the beverage cart would have been a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          While vacationing earlier this month, I decided to do an easy two-mile run on the ship's track wearing my Garmin. Although I was running at about 10 min/mile, I got credit for a 5:44/pace. It's interesting to see the change in pace as I headed either fore or aft. I thought about running around the two aisles of the Lufthansa jumbo jet on the way home (I'd be looking at a roughly 530 mph pace) but the beverage cart would have been a problem.
          That's cool!
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• High school girl refuses to run in regional finals because she's assigned bib number 666.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• I guess she doesn't live her life like there's no tomorrow.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I posted this in the "Interesting Stuff on the Internet" thread but wanted to put it here too in case people don't get over there. Even though the whole article is about running, it' mostly about meeting adversary and doubt face to face and disregarding it completely. It's a long read (took me about 45 min, but I'm not an attorney) but I think it's well worth the time. It really is one of the most inspiring stories I've read in a very long time.

http://m.runnersworld.com/runners-st...fe?page=single

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Does anyone use calf sleeves? I like the way the compression feels from my tights, but obviously I don't want to run in those outside of winter. Thinking about maybe trying the sleeves.

Just noticed the Wave Rider 17 is out. Need to grab a pair of those pronto.
                  So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                    Does anyone use calf sleeves? I like the way the compression feels from my tights, but obviously I don't want to run in those outside of winter. Thinking about maybe trying the sleeves.

My buddy that has recently gotten into distance running (50 milers) now swears by them. I've never tried them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                      Does anyone use calf sleeves? I like the way the compression feels from my tights, but obviously I don't want to run in those outside of winter. Thinking about maybe trying the sleeves.

I have a pair and use them mainlyl when it's really cold outside just to keep my calves warm (I've never owned tights). I have no idea if they do anything but I like the little bit of warmth they provide. I'd buy more but they seem to be way over priced.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I have some Zensah calf sleeves, same general answer as above: not sure if they help or not, but I sometimes wear them on long runs.

Comment

• Thanks for the input. Think I'll check them out at some point.

Picked up a pair of the just released Wave Rider 17. Love 'em.
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Quick question for all you runners. I am looking at getting my wife a nice pair of running shoes for Christmas. She runs daily at the gym, but wants to start taking it to the streets. Right now she has an old pair of Nike shoes that need to be retired. We went and looked at shoes last night. She tried on the Brooks Ghost 6 based on some reviews she has read and the Brooks Glycerin 11. She really like the Glycerin 11's. She didn't settle on a pair because it was running late, and she wanted to do a bit more research.

Any other shoes you could recommend she looks at? She was told to look for a neutral shoe if that matters, and she doesn't race.

Thanks
                            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                              Quick question for all you runners. I am looking at getting my wife a nice pair of running shoes for Christmas. She runs daily at the gym, but wants to start taking it to the streets. Right now she has an old pair of Nike shoes that need to be retired. We went and looked at shoes last night. She tried on the Brooks Ghost 6 based on some reviews she has read and the Brooks Glycerin 11. She really like the Glycerin 11's. She didn't settle on a pair because it was running late, and she wanted to do a bit more research.

Any other shoes you could recommend she looks at? She was told to look for a neutral shoe if that matters, and she doesn't race.

Thanks
                              Is it a fair assumption that you went to a running store and got fitted for the Ghost and Glycerin? If not, definitely go to a running specialty store and do that.

My first shoe was a Ghost 5, and it wasn't the right shoe for me, and I ended up switching out after only a 150 miles or so. I've been using Saucony Rides since then. I'm on my second pair and loving them.
                              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                                Is it a fair assumption that you went to a running store and got fitted for the Ghost and Glycerin? If not, definitely go to a running specialty store and do that.

My first shoe was a Ghost 5, and it wasn't the right shoe for me, and I ended up switching out after only a 150 miles or so. I've been using Saucony Rides since then. I'm on my second pair and loving them.
                                No, haven't been fit. Just helped by a pimply faced teenager at Dicks Sporting Goods. Good idea on getting her fit. Not sure if there is a "running store" here that does that. Any big chain stores fit? Sports Authority, Sports Chalet, Dicks?
                                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Working...
                                X