The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    Quick question for all you runners. I am looking at getting my wife a nice pair of running shoes for Christmas. She runs daily at the gym, but wants to start taking it to the streets. Right now she has an old pair of Nike shoes that need to be retired. We went and looked at shoes last night. She tried on the Brooks Ghost 6 based on some reviews she has read and the Brooks Glycerin 11. She really like the Glycerin 11's. She didn't settle on a pair because it was running late, and she wanted to do a bit more research.

Any other shoes you could recommend she looks at? She was told to look for a neutral shoe if that matters, and she doesn't race.

Thanks
    I have Michael McDonald stuck in my head now.

Shoes are a very individual thing. Some people like more sole/cushioning, some like to feel the road more. Some people like more drop, some like less. Some people need more room in the toe box, etc. I think she's going about it the right way by trying different shoes on to see what feels good. You could try the Runner's World shoe advisor (http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor) to narrow the options.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
      No, haven't been fit. Just helped by a pimply faced teenager at Dicks Sporting Goods. Good idea on getting her fit. Not sure if there is a "running store" here that does that. Any big chain stores fit? Sports Authority, Sports Chalet, Dicks?
      The Runner's World store finder might be helpful for finding a good running store in your area.

http://www.runnersworld.com/store-finder
      Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
      - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
      - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• So this whole running thing is sort of new to me. I have always been a bike rider but this year I have taken to running and am starting to enjoy it. But I think I need to learn more about it. I just go out and run. Not fast. No idea about technique. Not even sure if I heel strike (I don't think so, I think I am a mid foot striker). PLus, I read some of the posts here about tempo days and easy days, etc., and it makes me feel like I am missing a lot. Can any of you suggest some books or resources where I can reliably learn more about what approach I might consider taking as I continue running?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          So this whole running thing is sort of new to me. I have always been a bike rider but this year I have taken to running and am starting to enjoy it. But I think I need to learn more about it. I just go out and run. Not fast. No idea about technique. Not even sure if I heel strike (I don't think so, I think I am a mid foot striker). PLus, I read some of the posts here about tempo days and easy days, etc., and it makes me feel like I am missing a lot. Can any of you suggest some books or resources where I can reliably learn more about what approach I might consider taking as I continue running?
          I'd recommend a personal consultation with this guy named Phippy-D. I can introduce you if you want....

The best I've done is to register for a race and then find a training schedule. Most training schedules will have easy days, speed work days, rest days, etc. built into them and it'll give you a decent idea of what you should be doing and when. Many on here recommended the Hal Higdon stuff, and that's what I'm using for my marathon training. He's got training plans for pretty much anything: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

I can't help a lot on technique other than to say I was a big time heel striker. I still believe the heel striking caused my two stress fractures. The best thing I ever did was change up my stride so I now mid/fore foot strike. I made the change by running in the Vibrams as they force you to not heel strike and then moved away from the big/bulky/padded shoes to the Nike Frees. This allows me to go farther while still keeping my form.

There was a guy that used to have a blog that Phippy pointed me to at one point but I can't remember the name of it. Maybe Phippy still knows...
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
            Is it a fair assumption that you went to a running store and got fitted for the Ghost and Glycerin? If not, definitely go to a running specialty store and do that.

My first shoe was a Ghost 5, and it wasn't the right shoe for me, and I ended up switching out after only a 150 miles or so. I've been using Saucony Rides since then. I'm on my second pair and loving them.
            Yes, have her fitted by someone that knows a bit about what they are doing. It's not fool proof but it's better than just buying blind.

I run in Nike Frees. I've worn out 3 pair and still continue to buy them. I love the way they flex and let me feel a bit more natural. They're also very light. However, everyone tends to love a different type/style of shoe so it might take a while for her to really settle on something she really likes.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

So this whole running thing is sort of new to me. I have always been a bike rider but this year I have taken to running and am starting to enjoy it. But I think I need to learn more about it. I just go out and run. Not fast. No idea about technique. Not even sure if I heel strike (I don't think so, I think I am a mid foot striker). PLus, I read some of the posts here about tempo days and easy days, etc., and it makes me feel like I am missing a lot. Can any of you suggest some books or resources where I can reliably learn more about what approach I might consider taking as I continue running?
              I think the best overall book on running is running formula by jack Daniels.

http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Runnin.../dp/0736054928

Very scientific approach to training. Doesn't focus as much as other books on the biomechanics of runnings, but sticks more to the physiology of running. He also has a number of training programs for various events, from 5k to marathon. The first portion of the book focuses on figuring out your individualized running pace over a variety of training and racing distances.

Another book that I really like is the runners body

http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-...e+runners+body

Focuses a bit more on running mechanics, including a number of common running injuries. Very helpful book.

Comment

I went to a New Balance Good Form Running clinic at my local running store. Aside from that I have watched a few youtube videos and I'm constantly trying to run with correct form (at least what's in my head as good form). Find a good local running store in your area, they will be an invaluable resource for all things running, especially for the local running scene.
                Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Comment

[. . .]I have taken to running and am starting to enjoy it. [. . .] I just go out and run. Not fast. [. . .]
                  There are some perhaps-unrecognized pearls in there.
                  "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up!
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up!
                      Join a running group if you can find one. There will be many knowledgeable runners in those groups, especially in your area.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                        Join a running group if you can find one. There will be many knowledgeable runners in those groups, especially in your area.
                        Don't do this. It leads to adultery more often than not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          I'd recommend a personal consultation with this guy named Phippy-D. I can introduce you if you want....

The best I've done is to register for a race and then find a training schedule. Most training schedules will have easy days, speed work days, rest days, etc. built into them and it'll give you a decent idea of what you should be doing and when. Many on here recommended the Hal Higdon stuff, and that's what I'm using for my marathon training. He's got training plans for pretty much anything: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

I can't help a lot on technique other than to say I was a big time heel striker. I still believe the heel striking caused my two stress fractures. The best thing I ever did was change up my stride so I now mid/fore foot strike. I made the change by running in the Vibrams as they force you to not heel strike and then moved away from the big/bulky/padded shoes to the Nike Frees. This allows me to go farther while still keeping my form.

There was a guy that used to have a blog that Phippy pointed me to at one point but I can't remember the name of it. Maybe Phippy still knows...
                          Runblogger.com. Peter Larson, a pretty talented runner and a physiolgist, runs it and has done all sorts of work on running form, shoe and gear reviews, etc.

I recommend Hal Higdon to start off. I personally love Pfitzinger for marathon training, and his book is great, but Higdon has plenty of stuff to get you started (plus he's free).

But more than anything, just get out and enjoy yourself. Try to find the zen that comes when you just focus on one foot after the other, your mind stretching out into the ether.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Well, with 2014 upon us, I've been thinking a lot about the running goals I set for myself back in 2012. I wanted to run a full marathon in 2014. So this is the year (or will be the year, whatever). Last December I was coming off knee problems and didn't run from Halloween until January and managed to run my first half marathon on June 1st, though not without knee troubles. This year I'm able to routinely run 9-10 miles a week. As January rolls around it's time to start training for my first full. I plan to just run my own homebaked (or half-baked) training plan, increasing mileage 10% each week. I am tentatively eyeing two half marathons in the run up to the full. Those would be the Rock the Parkway and revisiting my first half, the Hospital Hill. That would have me running a half on April 12th, June 7th and the full on October 18th. The April date is in question as I'll be running in the SoCal Ragnar again and that is April 4th. But I think I can treat that as my last long run before taking an easy week leading up to the half.

As for my running goals of 2013, I hit most of them with the notable exception of the 5k and 10k goals I set. I just didn't register, preferring to save the money. I've managed 361.8 miles which leaves me just 3.2 miles short of my goal of a mile a day. I'll hit that mark today. I completed my first half-marathon and did so under my goal time of 3:00 including falling behind the 3:15 pace group but catching up and passing the 3:00 pace group on mile 10. Unfortunately, after September I slacked off the rest of the year, dropping from about 40 miles a month to less than 20, on average.

My running goals for 2014:
                            - 450 miles
                            - 2 half marathons
                            - a full marathon
                            - a new 5k PR (< 29:54)

I figure the 450 mileage number may be low if I train for and complete two halfs and a full.

The training plan I'm cooking up in my head is to start with 3 runs of 5k each on MWF (basically what I'm doing now). Any additional mileage each week will be added to each daily run until each day is 4 miles, then the extra mileage will go on the Friday run. Once that hits the point that I feel uncomfortable going for a long run during the workday I'll move that run to Saturday. On the off days, in addition to some mileage on the stationary bike I will be working on my core and muscle balance which I think has contributed to my ITB and knee issues. As the mileage mounts, I may go to 4 days running 4 miles each, with long runs on Saturday. I may do that once Friday hits 4 miles, in any case that'd mean I'd be doing MWThS runs. I'm going to play it by ear.

Any thoughts or suggestions on my plan to train to become a marathoner?
                            - Howard Aiken

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                              On the off days, in addition to some mileage on the stationary bike I will be working on my core and muscle balance which I think has contributed to my ITB and knee issues.
                              Any thoughts or suggestions on my plan to train to become a marathoner?
                              ITB for me is strongly correlated with running excessively on same side of a "cambered" road and failing to stretch several times a day. That is part of my 2014 goals

Otherwise good luck with the marathon. I couldn't do it on 450 miles, but YMV

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiente View Post
                                ITB for me is strongly correlated with running excessively on same side of a "cambered" road and failing to stretch several times a day. That is part of my 2014 goals

Otherwise good luck with the marathon. I couldn't do it on 450 miles, but YMV
                                Same. My experience is that you have to let iTb heal all the way too.
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X