The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Love this on so many levels. We all have Blerches, and we can all find those transcendent Grapey-drink moments, and that's all part of what makes life (and being alive) what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
      Any known quick fix for a big blister on the ball of a foot? I developed a pretty big one last night and I'd like to prevent it from impacting my progress. I've googled, but don't really see anything concrete. Help is appreciated.
      You should also stop using cotton socks if that's what you exercise in.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Liquid skin.
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
          http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Love this on so many levels. We all have Blerches, and we can all find those transcendent Grapey-drink moments, and that's all part of what makes life (and being alive) what it is.
          Wow. That was great. It was enough to make me miss running a little. May even try and lace up later this week.

Comment

That was fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

So true.

So I was super proud of myself for running 5 days last week and only running for time, not speed or distance. So this morning I decided to up my time to 40 minutes from 30 and also run to keep my heart rate under certain levels. Based on the info in this post. So loosely modeled after that and the schedule that was detailed:

Mon 60 min easy 145 HR
              Tue 75 min easy 160 HR
              Wed 45 mins easy 145 HR
              Thu 60 mins easy 150 HR
              Fri 75 mins easy 160 HR
              Sat 45 mins easy 150 HR
              Sun 90 mins easy 155 HR

So my times will be about 1/2 those listed to start. Tried to run at 145 and it is not going to happen. Just way to slow. I did try to keep it around 150, but still any time there was a rise I really had to slow way down. I am going to try this for a while and see how it works, but if after 2 weeks it drives me completely crazy, then I am done.

I may actually need to do the lactate testing he sugggests:
              Go to a track on a windless day, as rested as if for a race, and do the following:
              Run 2400m at a steady 140 HR (Stop 90 secs and record time)
              Run 2400m at a steady 150 HR (Stop 90 secs and record time)
              Run 2400m at a steady 160 HR (Stop 90 secs and record time)
              Run 2400m at a steady 170 HR (Stop 90 secs and record time)
              Run 2400m at a steady 180 HR (Stop 90 secs and record time)
              At all times, adjust the running pace to maintain a stable HR. On each new stage slowly edge the
              HR up (ie: it is ok if the HR takes the first 600-800m to reach target level), then simply maintain
              HR. DO NOT start fast and have to slow to maintain target HR.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                So true.

So I was super proud of myself for running 5 days last week and only running for time, not speed or distance. So this morning I decided to up my time to 40 minutes from 30 and also run to keep my heart rate under certain levels. Based on the info in this post. So loosely modeled after that and the schedule that was detailed:

Mon 60 min easy 145 HR
                Tue 75 min easy 160 HR
                Wed 45 mins easy 145 HR
                Thu 60 mins easy 150 HR
                Fri 75 mins easy 160 HR
                Sat 45 mins easy 150 HR
                Sun 90 mins easy 155 HR

So my times will be about 1/2 those listed to start. Tried to run at 145 and it is not going to happen. Just way to slow. I did try to keep it around 150, but still any time there was a rise I really had to slow way down. I am going to try this for a while and see how it works, but if after 2 weeks it drives me completely crazy, then I am done.

I may actually need to do the lactate testing he sugggests:
                I've been intrigued by the thought of heart rate training for some time, but never looked into it enough to determine what rate is the one I want/need to be running at. I'd love to hear more as you experiment with it. I think it would be interesting to run just based on time and heart rate for a few weeks, and then go back and see what the pacing for each run was and what progress has been made related to speed based solely on focusing on heart rate.

Comment

• Ugh, I am fighting a complete and total lack of motivation lately. I realized I was just making excuses to not run today and just forced myself to go do it. I ended up throwing down 4 miles and it felt good. My next half is now 12 weeks away and so training must begin in earnest. I managed 9.6 miles this week, 2 miles less than I planned. The same for last week and the week before that.

This weekend I'm running the first anniversary of my first 5k. The same event, Rock the Crossroads on Saturday night. This is a big deal for me. I hope to PR, but its gonna be hot. I ran it in 48:30 last year, I'm hoping for <30:00 this year, but 35:00 is more likely. What a year it has been though! I've logged almost 400 miles since then, run a 10k, a ragnar, and a half-marathon since then. Its just amazing to look back and see what I've accomplished. I don't feel like I've maintained some herculean effort for months. So it's nice to take some time and reflect in what I have done. Last year at this time, I was nervous about the looming 5k. I'd never run that distance before. Now I do it 3 times a week. Just amazing to me.
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                    Ugh, I am fighting a complete and total lack of motivation lately. I realized I was just making excuses to not run today and just forced myself to go do it. I ended up throwing down 4 miles and it felt good. My next half is now 12 weeks away and so training must begin in earnest. I managed 9.6 miles this week, 2 miles less than I planned. The same for last week and the week before that.

This weekend I'm running the first anniversary of my first 5k. The same event, Rock the Crossroads on Saturday night. This is a big deal for me. I hope to PR, but its gonna be hot. I ran it in 48:30 last year, I'm hoping for <30:00 this year, but 35:00 is more likely. What a year it has been though! I've logged almost 400 miles since then, run a 10k, a ragnar, and a half-marathon since then. Its just amazing to look back and see what I've accomplished. I don't feel like I've maintained some herculean effort for months. So it's nice to take some time and reflect in what I have done. Last year at this time, I was nervous about the looming 5k. I'd never run that distance before. Now I do it 3 times a week. Just amazing to me.
                    Congratulations, man. Keep up the good work. Way to overcome the temptation to take it easy.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Ugh, I am fighting a complete and total lack of motivation lately. I realized I was just making excuses to not run today and just forced myself to go do it. I ended up throwing down 4 miles and it felt good. My next half is now 12 weeks away and so training must begin in earnest. I managed 9.6 miles this week, 2 miles less than I planned. The same for last week and the week before that.

very nice! I am fighting the same laziness. keep up the work, lc. it is inspiring.
                      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

That is awesome to here - the progress I mean!

I know what you're saying - and I have to have a goal or race that I'm preparing for or I just find reasons not to run (or bike...or swim...) Even then, there are times when I'm just not as excited. I'm doing Spudman this weekend - and due to recovering from my calf injury from earlier in the year I haven't trained like in the past. I actually took second place a couple of years ago in my division - but this year it will just be about surviving the thing. I like to feel like I'm progressing rather than regressing...

Comment

• Runner poops in yard.

Comment

• I don't know how many times I feel like I've come oh soooo close to doing that myself. Thank heavens for HoneyBuckets on new home construction sites.

Comment

• This is why I plan my long runs along wooded areas or where stores are never too far away.
                              - Howard Aiken

Comment

It's funny that the morning after you posted this, I woke up on one of my running days and decided I was going to skip the run because I was tired/lazy. So after I turn off my alarm and start to go back to sleep, I flip open CS and this post is on there. Needless to say I hopped out of bed and went running. So at least your lack of motivation was motivation to me.

Thanks LC!
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X