The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll wear tights if it's 40 or below.

Long sleeve 40-60. Above sixty I'm shorts and dry fit.

I'm going to run this on Thanksgiving morning. This will be my third half marathon this year. I am hoping I can break 2:20.

http://thankful13.com/half-marathon/
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Wore tights yesterday and it was still over 50. Knees just get too achy so I like to keep them warm.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        Shorts all the way.
        THIS!

I've found that temps seem cooler in Houston because of the humidity. I used to run in t-shirts in anything over 45 in Utah but I can't do that in Houston.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

You guys run hot! I don't know how you run in 50s and tights. Tights are reserved for under freezing or 40s and raining. I can't stand layers on my legs.
          I go short sleeves down to 50, then long sleeve down to mid 30s, throw on a running jacket/gloves/hat under that. Shorts all the way.
          No kidding! I am singlet and shorts down to 65, shirtless if I'm under 180. Short sleeved shirt and slightly longer shorts to 50, then maybe I'll break out a light jacket. Tights are strictly below 40, usually below freezing. I will add a pair of gloves if it is below 45 or so. I have run in temps as low as the teens - haven't had the chance to go colder.

Race day is different. Smallest singlet and shorts I own, period. Calf sleeves depending on the distance. Maybe a sweatshirt for the first quarter mile if it is super cold.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

You guys run hot! I don't know how you run in 50s and tights. Tights are reserved for under freezing or 40s and raining. I can't stand layers on my legs.
            I go short sleeves down to 50, then long sleeve down to mid 30s, throw on a running jacket/gloves/hat under that. Shorts all the way.
            This is more my style too. Shorts & tshirt down to 50 or so. I'll wear a long sleeve shirt down to 40, and a light jacket down to 30. If it's really cold I'll wear a fleece sweatshirt. I'm normally all shorts all the time, but I've worn tights or long pants when it gets down into the teens in January. I start to wear some of those very light stretchy cotton gloves that you can get for a $1 when it gets to 45 or so. Often as I warm up I'll take them off mid-run. It has to be really REALLY cold for me to wear anything thicker - like into the teens again.

Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
            ...Race day is different. Smallest singlet and shorts I own, period. Calf sleeves depending on the distance. Maybe a sweatshirt for the first quarter mile if it is super cold.
            I don't often wear much more than shorts and a tshirt on race day. I always have calf sleeves due to muscle issues. When it's really cold I'll wear inexpensive light gloves that I can toss. I don't have arm sleeves, but once or twice I've picked up a pair of long tube socks on sale cheap (2 pair for $1) and then cut the toes off and pulled them on as arm sleeves. As it warms up I'll toss them too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              This is more my style too. Shorts & tshirt down to 50 or so. I'll wear a long sleeve shirt down to 40, and a light jacket down to 30. If it's really cold I'll wear a fleece sweatshirt. I'm normally all shorts all the time, but I've worn tights or long pants when it gets down into the teens in January. I start to wear some of those very light stretchy cotton gloves that you can get for a $1 when it gets to 45 or so. Often as I warm up I'll take them off mid-run. It has to be really REALLY cold for me to wear anything thicker - like into the teens again.

I don't often wear much more than shorts and a tshirt on race day. I always have calf sleeves due to muscle issues. When it's really cold I'll wear inexpensive light gloves that I can toss. I don't have arm sleeves, but once or twice I've picked up a pair of long tube socks on sale cheap (2 pair for $1) and then cut the toes off and pulled them on as arm sleeves. As it warms up I'll toss them too.
              I'm stealing that tube sock idea. Brilliant, and cheaper than getting a sweatshirt at Walmart.

Comment

• You guys are way more sophisticated than I am. I simply run in whatever. It's more like this:

It's a pretty simple algorithm:
                Code:
                  was I cold last time?
                    Yes: wear more this time
                    No:  the same as last time
                  was it too hot last time?
                    Yes: wear less this time
                    No:  the same as last time
                Of course, there are some further restraints such as modesty in the summer and practicality in the winter.
                Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• My 2nd half is in two weeks. I think I'll be fine. I started a new workout regimen at my new employer which provides personal trainers and an on-site gym. So, after a month off, I'm starting out with a 10 mile week this week (2 5ks and a 4 miler) with cycling, rowing and some non-weight strength exercises on the off days. So 5 of 7 days will have some sort of activity. I didn't lose that much cardio over the month long hiatus, but my calves sure hate me. The push ups, sit ups and rows are killing me. I'm sore all over, but I think I'll actually be in better shape for this half, than the last one. Of course, I'm more than likely just being over optimistic, but my 5k run today felt great (my 3rd 5k in 4 days).
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Ran a half marathon this morning on a hilly course. Clocked in at 1:55:28, which I'm extremely proud of since my goal was anything under 2 hours. At 12.5 miles my calf muscles started to cramp up and I was afraid I'd have to walk the rest but I ran through it and the cramp worked their way out.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      Ran a half marathon this morning on a hilly course. Clocked in at 1:55:28, which I'm extremely proud of since my goal was anything under 2 hours. At 12.5 miles my calf muscles started to cramp up and I was afraid I'd have to walk the rest but I ran through it and the cramp worked their way out.
                      Wow, that's great. Way to go.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• great job. I have taken the summer off of running and now i wish I would have just ran through the pain in my knee. My knee is not any better and any endurance that I was able to build is out of the window. so frustrating.
                        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Ran a half marathon this morning on a hilly course. Clocked in at 1:55:28, which I'm extremely proud of since my goal was anything under 2 hours. At 12.5 miles my calf muscles started to cramp up and I was afraid I'd have to walk the rest but I ran through it and the cramp worked their way out.

Comment

Excellent job!

I also had a race this morning, although only half the distance. Running is a funny thing. I had a tough race last week and my legs are tired. Yesterday I had a tough training run into double digit miles. I flew back from Canada late last night and ate Taco Bell on the way home. When I got in the car this morning, there was still ice in the cup - that's how little sleep I got. The race is up and over a not insignificant bridge - twice - and there was a 20 mph cross wind. Not the recipe for a good race.

So I lined up further back than usual and figured that I would take it kind of easy. But after a quarter mile I felt pretty good - I've been working on running by feel lately - and decided to let it fly. Had a pretty much perfect race for me - negative split, held back just enough, had enough at the end for a hard kick but didn't finish with extra energy. Broke my PR by almost a full minute (and that was run on a flat course with fresh legs and no wind) and took second in my AG. It felt easier than just about every other 10k I've run too. I have no explanation for what is going on, but I've been reading recently that it takes six or so years to hit your potential no matter when you start. I'm thinking that's true.

Comment

• Musta been the Taco Bell. Pre-race food of champions. So what was your time?

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                                Musta been the Taco Bell. Pre-race food of champions. So what was your time?
                                42:58. Field was a bit weaker than it was in prior years because of the bigger race last weekend, but it was still a field of about 1700 (not in my age group - about 90 in my age group). Finished 18th overall.

Comment

Working...
                                X