The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    6.63 m, 1:11:01 in the victory formation! (0.62) Dawgs have been denied again. This has been one of the most satisfying personal goals I have achieved in a long time. Thanks for letting me clutter the running thread with my "runs", I will set another goal for July but just track that one on my own.
    Way to finish. Also, if the CUF front page is accurate, enjoy the birthday!
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Hearty congratulations, HFN. That feat is really inspiring.

Comment

• HFN, way to go!

Comment

• Awesome job, HFN. Track Town lives!
          I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Just ran my first sub 50 minute 5 miles, 48:59. Trying for a sub 1 hour freedom run on Wednesday. Gonna be tough with the up 9th east finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
              Just ran my first sub 50 minute 5 miles, 48:59. Trying for a sub 1 hour freedom run on Wednesday. Gonna be tough with the up 9th east finish.
              That's awesome Coach. Hopefully the adrenaline and the parade-goers along the way will help you break that hour mark. Yooo can dooo eeet!

Comment

• Provo Freedom Run 2012

Pre Race - Feeling good. I think I can do this. I am a little tight, need to stretch. I don't get all these people that wear this years t-shirt to the race. It is like wearing the concert t-shirt to the concert you are going to. If you are going to Wilco, you don't wear the 2012 Wilco concert shirt, you wear a Uncle Tupelo shirt from 93'.

Start to 1 mile - Here we go. Stay calm. just get up this hill at around 10 minute pace and you can make it up on the downhill.

Mile 1 pace - 8:55 Elapsed - 8:55

1 mile to 2 mile - I did it again! Too fast! Gonna have to hold back or ninth east is going to get me again. Just easy strides down university parkway. Keep it around 9:30. Feeling good.

Mile 2 pace - 8:49 Elapsed - 17:45

2 mile to 3 mile - Whoa, horsey. I are going to be walking by mile three if I don't tone this down. Just cruise down university ave, but no walking no matter what. just keep swimming.

Mile 3 pace - 9:16 Elapsed - 27:01

Mile 3 to 4 - I can't keep this up, I slowed down but I don't think that was voluntary. whoa, just ran my fastest 5K at 27:56. Nice! But no way I am keeping this up. This is it, I'm going to tank.

Mile 4 pace - 9:18 Elapsed - 36:19

Mile 4 to 5 - Hey, I didn't lose much time there! I really need to keep this mile under 10. If I can do that maybe I got this. Feel great though, wasn't expecting this. little uphill here through the mental hospital, that's gonna slow me down. Whatever I do, no walking though! Keep going.

Mile 5 pace - 9:09 Elapsed - 45:28

Mile 5 to 6 - I got this. I can totally walk this last mile and meet my goal. That sounds like a great idea, not having to run up 9th east. But my feet keep moving up and up and up for almost a mile. I hit the 6 mile banner. Wooooooooot!

Mile 6 pace - 9:16 Elapsed - 54:45

Mile 6 to Finish - Yes! Didn't lose any time on the up hill and while tying for my slowest pace, it was 9:16 and uphill. I'll take that any day! I have met my goal of under 1 hour. First time ever. Now sprint, what do you have left in the tank.

Finish - 6.21 - 56:36 .......but the finish line was actually 6.27 - 57:07.

Well there you have it. Personal best 5k and 10k and goal achieved by more than 3 minutes. Very happy with the effort and looking to build this into a sub 2 hour half marathon, which would also be a personal record.

Comment

• Nice Coach. Hope you get an especially good runners high today.
                  "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• :rockon1: Great work Coach. You are a certified bad butt.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

I don't get all these people that wear this years t-shirt to the race. It is like wearing the concert t-shirt to the concert you are going to. If you are going to Wilco, you don't wear the 2012 Wilco concert shirt, you wear a Uncle Tupelo shirt from 93'.
                      Preach on, brother, preach on. See it every race, and it's always just as dumb.

Nice job with the run, and McMillan totally has you within reach of a sub 2 hour half. If you're thinking about trying it this January, I happen to know a guy willing to pace you....
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Provo Freedom Run 2012
                        Nice job, Coach.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Thanks everyone. It's the first race I've done that I felt like a runner.

Comment

Thanks everyone. It's the first race I've done that I felt like a runner.
                            Great job Coach, and a fun race report to read. Made me want to get out there and run. Congrats, it's gotta be a great feeling to meet your goal in such a convincing manner!

Comment

Thanks everyone. It's the first race I've done that I felt like a runner.
                              I missed this earlier. Nice job!
                              I think you're right that sub-1 hour 10k is the difference between jogging and running. Anything faster is just gravy.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• I continued my reign of terror as the fastest person in Big Pine. That is not saying a lot.

Yesterday was the Big Pine Fire Department 10k/5k and somehow I was able to pull out the win. Having only run once since April I was not sure how my legs would respond, I was just hoping to stay with my wife on the big climb. http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/110059989

I hung with my wife through the first couple of miles, but as we started to climb I was able to keep chugging along and she dropped back a few steps. Some Aussie guy, stayed about 20 paces behind us the whole time, too. Despite serious urges to walk and give hte race away I pushed on. I actually think all the climbing I have been doing on the bike has made me a bit more mentally tough.

First water stop was at the highest point on the race course and also about 1/2 way, and it was all down here from there. Took one swig of water and left the paved road and headed down some atv roads. The footing isn't great on alot of this, so I knew if I kept a lead up until this point that I could probably pull this thing out.

Between mile 4 and 5 I think my pace was 6:15 or 6:20. I was flying down the hill, but not really putting much more distance between myself and the 2 following close behind. This is about when the aussie guy passed my wife, so I kept pushing my speed as he narrowed the gap a bit.

I knew I had it, or really hoped, when I looked back going around a turn and the guy was about 100 m behind. So I tried to keep up the pace through the flat at the end. My 10 year old daughter joined my with a 1/2 mile to go and informed me that she had been 3rd overall in the 5k and ran that in about 27:00, which made me a very proud dad. I told her to wait for her mom as I ran around the park to the finish chute. As I came to end, I had to ask the guy standing there if it was indeed the finish, becuase it was actually hard to tell. When he told me it was, he noticed that I had a 10k on my number, said oh you are first and handed me a medal. No one taking times, just some guy not really paying attention, handing out a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place medals, that is how we roll in Big Pine.

I will have to check my watch, but I think I did the "10k" in about 43:00, which I was really happy with, very tough course. This make 5 or 6 years in a row that I have won, since they started doing the race again. My wife once again was the fastest woman, though she was disappointed that she did not get second like all the other years. I am most proud of my daughter, she did awesome. She said that at a water stop, she actually stayed there longer, so the photographer could take her picture. She wore her medal all day long.

Comment

Working...
                                X