The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
    The best laid plans of mice and men . . .

I was hoping to come off of some triathlons earlier this year and make a run at a sub-20-minute 5K at the Provo Freedom Festival on July 4 and a PR at the Disneyland half marathon next week. However, an aching knee that I continued to train on after wrecking on my bike turned into a bigger problem. I was out for a long run in June, and I went from dull ache to walking home sideways in about half a mile.

I shut things down for two weeks and tried to run again. I would run for 10-15 minutes, then the pain would come back. I went to see a doctor, and he said I probably irritated my IT band by running on it while I had swelling from the bike wreck.

I shut things down for another month and did some stretches I found online. Finally, at the beginning of this month, I went for a run. Things have felt fine. I've run three or four miles every day since August 3 or so, with a couple of six-milers interspersed in there.

I now find myself looking at the D-land half next weekend. I was running 14 to 16 miles on a long run each weekend before the injury, and now I haven't even done over six miles in a couple of months. I was hoping to PR again this year, but I've adjusted that to deciding whether or not to even attempt the distance. I think I'll try to go for 9 or 10 tonight and see how I feel. That should still be enough time to absorb the long run and recover over the next nine or ten days.

Have any of you tried to come back quickly from a longish layoff? How did it go?
    I've never tried to come back quickly for two reasons: (1) My layoffs have been mostly due to stress fractures so I took it easy and built my mileage back up and (2) because I'm really not a great distance runner as I don't have the lungs for it or the slow-twitch muscle so I really struggle getting back into decent shape after 2-3 months off.

Good luck though and let us know how the run went tonight.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Good luck though and let us know how the run went tonight.
      Thank you. I picked it back up on August 3 and didn't want to jump right into really long runs and risk injury. Instead, I decided to run basically every day between then and the race to see what kind of fitness I could regain. August has looked like this (rounded to the nearest half mile of distance):

DATE MILES
      8/3 3.5
      8/4 4.0
      8/5 3.5
      8/6 3.5
      8/7 4.0
      8/8 3.5
      8/9 3.5
      8/10 3.5
      8/11 6.0
      8/12 4.0
      8/13 6.0
      8/14 4.0
      8/15 3.5
      8/16 4.0
      8/17 3.5
      8/18 6.0
      8/19 rest
      8/20 4.0
      8/21 3.5
      8/22 10.0
      In essence, it's a HM training block with almost no build that lasts only four weeks. My legs felt good the first week, but I was really sucking wind. After a week, my lungs came around. At that point, I pulled out the heart rate monitor and kept all running at or below my aerobic threshold. On the 13th, I picked things up at tempo pace for a few miles. I probably wasn't ready for that; I felt tired the rest of the week and took a rest day on the 19th.

I left my Garmin on two nights ago to upload my data and forgot to turn it off, so I didn't have my pace or HR last night. I ran ten miles based on perceived effort, and I'm pretty sure I was well below my aerobic threshold for the first seven or eight miles. The last two miles were uphill, and I let it come up a bit - but nowhere close to tempo pace - at that point. I covered the distance comfortably, but my legs feel tired today.

With that, I think I'll show up for the race. If I can run like I have for the last few weeks, it seems like the IT band issue is gone. I'll just keep stretching a bit and try to keep it that way. My time probably won't be close to last year, but so be it.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Just banged out 20 and felt pretty good. Well, except for the fact that my stomach didn't seem to like the Eggo waffles I ate just before I started running.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• damn.
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Busted out a 51:30 10K this morning, which is a PR. The best part about it was that I'm working from home so I slept in. I also swam over 1,000 meters last night, so this morning I really didn't want to run. I talked myself into doing a slow 3-5 miles but once I left the house I figured I'd punish myself a bit for wanting to be lazy. The punishment was to see if I could hold 8:30 min/mile over a 10K. I beat that with a 8:17 pace, which hurt for the last 2 miles but it feels good to know I'm in about as good of shape as I was before my last injury that killed my marathon chances. I'm thinking that adding swimming to the repertoire is really paying off dividends, especially on my longer runs.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Running in this heat wave sucks.
              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• The Disneyland half marathon was last weekend. I'm glad I decided to go; it was a fun race.

It was hotter and more humid than last year. I'd be interested to hear Coach's thoughts on how the weather compared to previous years. Pre-start stage guests included Joey Fatone, Rudy Hobbit, and the blonde host lady from The Biggest Loser in all their cross-promoting glory.

As I mentioned above, I trained for about a month after letting my knee get right. Over that month, I ran two or three six-mile runs and one ten-mile run. The rest was basically four miles or less per day. Except for some 50-meter pick-ups at the end of some runs, it was all aerobic base training speed. In other words, no tempo runs.

I thought about a couple of different strategies for the race. One was to go out and run my training pace of a little slower than 9:00min/mile for the race. That would get me right at two hours for the race, and I felt comfortable finishing at that pace. That would mitigate my two current weaknesses, which are lack of aerobic endurance base and lack of tempo training. The other was to try and push it at the risk of crashing and burning before the end of the race. I assumed my heart rate would decouple around the nine or ten mile mark due to the lack of long run training and overall mileage; I also assumed an increase in heart rate would not yield much additional speed due to the lack of tempo training/speed work.

I decided to go for it and see what happened. My plan was to run at about 8bpm below tempo HR for the first three miles or so, then get my HR up to 1-2bpm below tempo HR and hold that for the next seven miles. I would then evaluate and see if I needed to maintain or if I could push higher for the last 5K.

After the initial congestion of the first mile or so cleared, I settled into my target HR zone of 153bpm or so for the first three miles. That had me more or less at a 8:30min/mile pace. That was off of PR pace, but it would get me comfortably below two hours. I drank a lot - but not too much - both before the race and during because I figured hydration to be a potential trouble spot with runners this year.

Three miles in, I started to let my HR increase to 158bpm or so. If I saw it hit 160bpm or higher, I consciously reduced effort to bring it back down. I continued like this through mile eight or so. I felt better than I expected: my breathing was good, and my legs weren't drained. Once I hit mile nine, I decided to pick it up starting there.

At this point, I was also starting to hit the three challenges of the race. First, I was at the end of my trained endurance distance. Second, the sun was coming up and generating increased heat on the course. Third, due to my lack of threshold training, the increase in HR was going to yield a minimal increase in speed.

I felt OK for miles nine and ten, but I got only a 15sec/mile benefit from the increased heart rate. Once I got to the last 5K of the race, I let my HR go into the self-destruct zone above 165. From there on in, my HR steadily increased over miles eleven and twelve even though I held a constant pace of around 8:00min/mile. I put my legs into it for mile thirteen - around a 7:30min/mile pace - and passed a lot of people. Based on the clock, I figured I had a chance to go below 1:50:00 for the race, so I took it below 6:00min/mile pace for the final kick.

I ended up finishing within five minutes of my PR and in the top 600 out of 15,800 runners. I think I really got the most out of myself that I could have based on my fitness level and the weather conditions. Best of all, my knee felt fine the whole time. My Garmin information from the race is here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/369577753

It was the first time I used a HR monitor in a race. When I'm properly trained, I have a pretty good feel for where my pacing zones are. In a situation like this, though, I found the HR data to be very useful.

Comment

• Nice work, JoeP. I've really enjoyed the Disney half marathons in CA and FL, and would like to do another (albeit at a somewhat slower pace than yours). Running past the adoring crowds and performance groups is a real kick, and I liked running on the warning track at Angels Stadium.

Comment

Busted out a 51:30 10K this morning, which is a PR. The best part about it was that I'm working from home so I slept in. I also swam over 1,000 meters last night, so this morning I really didn't want to run. I talked myself into doing a slow 3-5 miles but once I left the house I figured I'd punish myself a bit for wanting to be lazy. The punishment was to see if I could hold 8:30 min/mile over a 10K. I beat that with a 8:17 pace, which hurt for the last 2 miles but it feels good to know I'm in about as good of shape as I was before my last injury that killed my marathon chances. I'm thinking that adding swimming to the repertoire is really paying off dividends, especially on my longer runs.

Well done, Moliere.

Comment

• Right on, JoePublic! With your training heading in being less than you would have preferred, that's quite a result. 8:18s over 13 miles is nothing to scoff at. I need to do one of these Disney things sometime, seems like the cool kids on this site have all done them.

Comment

Busted out a 51:30 10K this morning, which is a PR. The best part about it was that I'm working from home so I slept in. I also swam over 1,000 meters last night, so this morning I really didn't want to run. I talked myself into doing a slow 3-5 miles but once I left the house I figured I'd punish myself a bit for wanting to be lazy. The punishment was to see if I could hold 8:30 min/mile over a 10K. I beat that with a 8:17 pace, which hurt for the last 2 miles but it feels good to know I'm in about as good of shape as I was before my last injury that killed my marathon chances. I'm thinking that adding swimming to the repertoire is really paying off dividends, especially on my longer runs.
                        Congrats to you (and to JoeP below) but I have toi admit the bolded part makes me a little uneasy.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Ran the Murdock 17 today, which they could have just called a 30k, but whatever. Started at one end of the Murdock Canal Trail in Lehi, finished at the other (plus a little detour) in Orem. It was a relatively small race, maybe 50ish entrants, lots as you can imagine getting ready for St. George or another fall marathon. For me though, 17 is the furthest I've ever run (I did a 15 a couple weeks ago and that was also the furthest at the time). Finished 9th male and 10th overall, set a half-marathon PR along the way even though I've never actually raced a half and learned what it feels like when glycogen stores are thoroughly depleted. Oh, and I also learned about the frustrations of losing a few minutes mid-race to the previous day's Mexican food. Yeah that was super smart. Fun enough race, but I gotta say I much prefer running as fast as I can for 3 miles to settling into a pace for 17. The thought of tacking on 9 more was enough to keep me from signing up for any marathons anytime soon.
                          Last edited by OhioBlue; 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                            Ran the Murdock 17 today, which they could have just called a 30k, but whatever. Started at one end of the Murdock Canal Trail in Lehi, finished at the other (plus a little detour) in Orem. It was a relatively small race, maybe 50ish entrants, lots as you can imagine getting ready for St. George or another fall marathon. For me though, 17 is the furthest I've ever run (I did a 15 a couple weeks ago and that was also the furthest at the time). Finished 9th male and 10th overall, set a half-marathon PR along the way even though I've never actually raced a half and learned what it feels like when glycogen stores are thoroughly depleted. Oh, and I also learned about the frustrations of losing a few minutes mid-race to the previous day's Mexican food. Yeah that was super smart. Fun enough race, but I gotta say I much prefer running as fast as I can for 3 miles to settling into a pace for 17. The thought of tacking on 9 more was enough to keep me from signing up for any marathons anytime soon.
                            Nice job. Distance is definitely a different beast.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                              Ran the Murdock 17 today, which they could have just called a 30k, but whatever. Started at one end of the Murdock Canal Trail in Lehi, finished at the other (plus a little detour) in Orem. It was a relatively small race, maybe 50ish entrants, lots as you can imagine getting ready for St. George or another fall marathon. For me though, 17 is the furthest I've ever run (I did a 15 a couple weeks ago and that was also the furthest at the time). Finished 9th male and 10th overall, set a half-marathon PR along the way even though I've never actually raced a half and learned what it feels like when glycogen stores are thoroughly depleted. Oh, and I also learned about the frustrations of losing a few minutes mid-race to the previous day's Mexican food. Yeah that was super smart. Fun enough race, but I gotta say I much prefer running as fast as I can for 3 miles to settling into a pace for 17. The thought of tacking on 9 more was enough to keep me from signing up for any marathons anytime soon.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• I just ran the Red Rock Relay this weekend. It was a great weekend full of awesome runs and amazing views. Very well organized and enjoyable. I gotta do more of these Ragnar-type runs.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X