The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    So you're running 15-18 a week and going to bust out a marathon plus bike and swim? Or do I not know what a triathalon is? That's probably the case. lol.
    That's an ironman distance tri. This one is much shorter.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

So you're running 15-18 a week and going to bust out a marathon plus bike and swim? Or do I not know what a triathalon is? That's probably the case. lol.
      My doctor asked the same thing a few weeks ago.

A triathlon is a race involving swimming, biking, and running. There are triathlons of varying distances, just like there are running races of varying distances.

The Ironman triathlon is one of those race distances. It's the one with the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run. It is a very long race. Other triathlon distances include the sprint distance (varies, but the shortest), Olympic distance (1500 meter swim, 40K bike, 10K run), and the self-explanatory half Ironman.

Think of "triathlon" as an activity like "running" or "swimming" and not as a distance like "marathon" or "century ride."
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I see. Thanks.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Yes

Dang it guys, why did you have to explain that to him?!? I was going to look immortal in MG's eyes for once....
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
            That's an ironman distance tri. This one is much shorter.
            So...this tri that you're talking about only has a 5K marathon?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              So...this tri that you're talking about only has a 5K marathon?

Comment

• I didn't realize that people didn't know there were different lengths of tris. I'm going to start advertising that I'm a triathlete and let them think what they will.
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  I didn't realize that people didn't know there were different lengths of tris. I'm going to start advertising that I'm a triathlete and let them think what they will.
                  I actually think it's pretty common that people think triathalon = Ironman triathalon. So yes, advertise that you're a triathalete and a lot of people will think you're swimming 2.4 miles, riding 112 and running a full marathon.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

I didn't realize that people didn't know there were different lengths of tris. I'm going to start advertising that I'm a triathlete and let them think what they will.
                    I've recently had a physical and met with a nutritionist. Both times I told them I was training for a triathlon. I got a strange sense of pride from telling them that. I'm looking forward to finally being able to tell people I'm a triathlete....which I'm hesitant to do until I actual do one. Like you, I'll let them think what they will.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      I actually think it's pretty common that people think triathalon = Ironman triathalon. So yes, advertise that you're a triathalete and a lot of people will think you're swimming 2.4 miles, riding 112 and running a full marathon.
                      Oh I believe you. Grace is a runner--he's more likely to know than most. I grew up with a dad and sister who did them so I've always kind of known there were different distances and have never bothered clarifying to people who ask. Guess I should. But I don't think I will.
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• I have a friend that calls every race a marathon. He told me his wife ran a marathon and I was impressed and asked which one he said the one in Spanish Fork. I told him they don't have one and he argued and said yeah they do on the 24th. Then I realized he was talking about the speedy spaniard which is a 5k.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                        *Banned*

Comment

Oh I believe you. Grace is a runner--he's more likely to know than most. I grew up with a dad and sister who did them so I've always kind of known there were different distances and have never bothered clarifying to people who ask. Guess I should. But I don't think I will.
                          I don't know a lot about tris nor do I really know people that do them. I thought it was a standard length deal, and Ironman was just the specific organizer/event. I've heard people refer to "mini" tris or some other term conveying what I thought was an indication it was less than standard length. But I guess I whiffed on that one. To be honest I don't know much about running in terms of races either, as I've never actually done one. I just run.
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I don't know a lot about tris nor do I really know people that do them. I thought it was a standard length deal, and Ironman was just the specific organizer/event. I've heard people refer to "mini" tris or some other term conveying what I thought was an indication it was less than standard length. But I guess I whiffed on that one. To be honest I don't know much about running in terms of races either, as I've never actually done one. I just run.
                            Hey, don't take that the wrong way. I'm not mocking you at all. I'm guessing most people don't know if you don't.
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• The best laid plans of mice and men . . .

I was hoping to come off of some triathlons earlier this year and make a run at a sub-20-minute 5K at the Provo Freedom Festival on July 4 and a PR at the Disneyland half marathon next week. However, an aching knee that I continued to train on after wrecking on my bike turned into a bigger problem. I was out for a long run in June, and I went from dull ache to walking home sideways in about half a mile.

I shut things down for two weeks and tried to run again. I would run for 10-15 minutes, then the pain would come back. I went to see a doctor, and he said I probably irritated my IT band by running on it while I had swelling from the bike wreck.

I shut things down for another month and did some stretches I found online. Finally, at the beginning of this month, I went for a run. Things have felt fine. I've run three or four miles every day since August 3 or so, with a couple of six-milers interspersed in there.

I now find myself looking at the D-land half next weekend. I was running 14 to 16 miles on a long run each weekend before the injury, and now I haven't even done over six miles in a couple of months. I was hoping to PR again this year, but I've adjusted that to deciding whether or not to even attempt the distance. I think I'll try to go for 9 or 10 tonight and see how I feel. That should still be enough time to absorb the long run and recover over the next nine or ten days.

Have any of you tried to come back quickly from a longish layoff? How did it go?

Comment

Working...
                              X