No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In honor of you all, I picked one of my favorite nicknames from this place and put it on my bibs for this fall's warm up series.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
      In honor of you all, I picked one of my favorite nicknames from this place and put it on my bibs for this fall's warm up series.
      Perfect. Now go snap off a PR!
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        Perfect. Now go snap off a PR!
        Lol. It wasn't a PR course - it's up and over one of the biggest bridges in the area, not once but four times. Still, I was only about 1:15 off my PR, 3:00+ better than last year (admittedly that effort was only 85%) and was really happy with the pacing.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Counting today, there are 100 days left in the year. My goal is to run on as many of those days as I can.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Plan on running a 1/2 marathon and then win the race for the full. Impressive.

http://deadspin.com/half-marathoner-...hon-1404285161

Comment

• First day back after burning my foot. I threw down a 5k. It may still be too early. I got done and the blister was totally re-aggravated and tender. I was really hoping 3 weeks was enough healing. Dammit...
              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                Plan on running a 1/2 marathon and then win the race for the full. Impressive.

http://deadspin.com/half-marathoner-...hon-1404285161
                Awesome. Kind of reminds me of Utahn Paul Pilkington in the LA Marathon in 1994:

http://www.boston.com/marathon/stori..._setter+.shtml

Comment

• For a person who walks/jogs outside in the depths of winter - I am a wimp!

The last couple of days have been cool about 50 ) enough for me to break out the sweatshirts and gloves

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                    For a person who walks/jogs outside in the depths of winter - I am a wimp!

The last couple of days have been cool about 50 ) enough for me to break out the sweatshirts and gloves
                    When I go out in the morning, I check the temp. I usually go by this:

60 or higher- shorts and short sleeve shirt
                    45-60- shorts and long sleeve shirt
                    30-45- tights, shorts, long sleeve shirt, vest, gloves, and headband
                    15-30- tights, shorts, thermal top, vest, gloves, headband or fleece cap
                    Raining or snowing- treadmill

None of the articles of clothing listed above are cotton.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

I agree with those clothing guidelines, although around here anything below 30 is the End of Days and I'd likely sit it out.

Comment

I ran in 11 degree weather last winter...never again.
                        Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                        - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                        - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                          I ran in 11 degree weather last winter...never again.
                          When I was younger I would run in temps down to 0 degrees. No more for me either.

Comment

That looks about right with a few caviates

50 deg in Sep/Oct seems a whole lot colder than 50 in March/Apr

My hands get cold easily, so I normally start wearing gloves at about 60 - sweat shirts - 40 or so. I normally where sweat pants all yr long. I never liked shorts even as a wee lad

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Here's mine, which is close to what everyone else does:

50-60- shorts and long sleeve shirt
                              40-50- shorts, running jacket over short sleeved t-shirt
                              30-40- shorts, running jacket over short sleeved t-shirt, calf warmers/compression, maybe a running hat
                              25-30- shorts, running jacket over short sleeved t-shirt, calf warmers/compression, wool tuc
                              Under 25 or Snowing- doesn't really happen in Houston

Raining- as long as there's no lightening, I'm out there running. I did one of my 14 milers last winter in a cold rainstorm. Most miserable run I've had but glad I did it.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• You guys run hot! I don't know how you run in 50s and tights. Tights are reserved for under freezing or 40s and raining. I can't stand layers on my legs.
                                I go short sleeves down to 50, then long sleeve down to mid 30s, throw on a running jacket/gloves/hat under that. Shorts all the way.
                                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                                X