No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, my brother just threw down a 1:26 half. That's a heck of a thing.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• What do the better runners here think about upping miles vs. pushing speed?

Part of me wants to push into the 8ish mile range for a long run this week, but then I think that's kind of foolish when I'm running around 11 minute miles. Would I be better pushing my speed more and staying with the lower miles?
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        What do the better runners here think about upping miles vs. pushing speed?

Part of me wants to push into the 8ish mile range for a long run this week, but then I think that's kind of foolish when I'm running around 11 minute miles. Would I be better pushing my speed more and staying with the lower miles?
        I say long and slow before speedwork. Go for it.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I'm not one of the better runners, so weigh my comments accordingly.

It sounds like you're suggesting you shouldn't run over a certain distance until you can maintain a certain minimum speed. In my experience, I've found that building a good mileage base and increasing the distance of my weekend long runs at the beginning of a training program actually led to an increase in my pace once I was several weeks into the routine.

Sometimes time constraints cause runners to try and squeeze more miles into a finite training time if they want to feel a sense of progress. You do not mention any such constraints, though, and the goal you set for yourself is one of distance and not speed. Increasing your distance - at whatever pace - is what will help you meet that goal. You can always mix a little speedwork (tempo runs, e.g.) into your routine if you're feeling up to it.

My $0.02. Keep up the good work, HFN.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• 4.6 m, 52:47. 58.13 to deny Ted Bundy's alma mater.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

• Brutal run this morning. At 7am it was 80 degrees and 94% humidity. Ugh!
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

4.6 m, 52:47. 58.13 to deny Ted Bundy's alma mater.
                You're doing great and will meet the goal with plenty of days to spare. I recommend you dial it back a bit, raise the hopes of the Husky faithful, and then crush their spirits with a long run on the 30th. Still, I'm impressed.

Comment

Most of the well-known coaches will always recommend adding mileage to build up endurance before you try any kind of speed or tempo work. I think its a good idea, especially if you have been out for a little while.

Comment

• 6.6 in 68 minutes tonight

20+ in three days

Comment

• Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                      6.6 in 68 minutes tonight

20+ in three days
                      That's freakin' awesome PU. Just be careful not to get hurt, you're really loading up the miles.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                        That's freakin' awesome PU. Just be careful not to get hurt, you're really loading up the miles.
                        The only thing I've noticed so far is soreness in my quads.

Although, today, I have far less than I did yesterday. Joints all feel great.

My annoying left knee actually feels better now than it did a few months ago. I suppose it's probably a combo of losing 20 lbs but also the weight training and exercise strengthening the joint.

I'm going to go again tonight, then take a break from jogging. Tommorrow night I have a soccer game and I will be backpacking from Thursday to Sunday so my next run might be Sunday night or more likely Monday.

Comment

• What do you more experienced runners do for nutrition/supplements before/during and after runs?

niku mentioned caffeine. When? What form?

What other supplements?

What do you eat before your run? How long before? Do you eat any of those gummy things during the run? How about after? What do you take after a run?

Comment

What do you more experienced runners do for nutrition/supplements before/during and after runs?

niku mentioned caffeine. When? What form?

What other supplements?

What do you eat before your run? How long before? Do you eat any of those gummy things during the run? How about after? What do you take after a run?
                            I only use caffeine for races - typically a 2x caffeine gel about 30 minutes beforehand, and then maybe one at mile 20 in a marathon.

Salt tablets are apparently a thing in triathlons.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Well, I hit the wall tonight.

No injuries, but my energy level hit the skids.

I left about 9:40. At right about 10, I felt so tired that I couldn't push on. I was only barely over 2 miles into my run. Luckily, I was right by a 7-11 and I had a 5 stashed in my arm band.

I bought a Hershey's Cookies 'n Cream milkshake drink and slammed it. Chased it with some water.

Then I headed out for the worst part of my run. 1.5 miles up 200 N in Kaysville. It's about a 300 foot climb. Not much, but I'd just hit the wall. Ugh.

I gutted it out. Then I ran the remaining 3 miles home...most of it flat or downhill.

The total route was 6.5 miles. I took an hour and 7 minutes to slog it out.

I'm glad I'm done for the week and have a break. My joints feel fine. My feet feel fine. My legs feel like jello.

happyone will appreciate my route: From Ponds park north to 200 N Main. From there, climb 200 N to Country Lane (Brookhaven subdivision) from there south to Laurelwood (Fence Post)....from there west to Main...down Main to Burton....from there to Ponds Park.

All told, 26.7 miles in 4 days.

Comment

What do you more experienced runners do for nutrition/supplements before/during and after runs?
                                Are you talking running races, or just running running?

When I'm just training/running - I like to go early. Like 5:30-6am early. And I don't want to have to wait to digest anything. So I usually try to remember to take a drink of water, but don't ever eat anything. And I'm usually good for 10 miles or so.

After I drink a ton of water, and then just have my normal breakfast.

Races are different. I like a toasted bagel with peanut butter and honey a couple of hours before the race, and maybe a banana. Running marathons I'll take in a half of one of those gu/shot things every 20 minutes or so.

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                                Well, I hit the wall tonight.

No injuries, but my energy level hit the skids.

I left about 9:40. At right about 10, I felt so tired that I couldn't push on. I was only barely over 2 miles into my run. Luckily, I was right by a 7-11 and I had a 5 stashed in my arm band.

I bought a Hershey's Cookies 'n Cream milkshake drink and slammed it. Chased it with some water.

Then I headed out for the worst part of my run. 1.5 miles up 200 N in Kaysville. It's about a 300 foot climb. Not much, but I'd just hit the wall. Ugh.

I gutted it out. Then I ran the remaining 3 miles home...most of it flat or downhill.

The total route was 6.5 miles. I took an hour and 7 minutes to slog it out.

I'm glad I'm done for the week and have a break. My joints feel fine. My feet feel fine. My legs feel like jello.

happyone will appreciate my route: From Ponds park north to 200 N Main. From there, climb 200 N to Country Lane (Brookhaven subdivision) from there south to Laurelwood (Fence Post)....from there west to Main...down Main to Burton....from there to Ponds Park.

All told, 26.7 miles in 4 days.
                                Those are my old stomping grounds. When I was growing up, and when Laurelwood was a deadend on its east end, it was part of my ward. Of course, way way back when we first moved into the area the houses over on Burton Lane were part of that same ward.

Been a few years since I lived there.

Comment

Working...
                                X