Official Photography Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Katy Lied
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 9435

    #511
    Summer




    Last edited by Katy Lied; 07-13-2010, 10:01 PM.

    Comment

    • Scott R Nelson
      UofU/BYU mixed marriage
      • Apr 2010
      • 1508

      #512
      Barn and Bike

      I took this photo this afternoon and kind of liked it, so I thought I would share. Taken with Canon S5 IS on one of the automatic settings.

      Comment

      • Katy Lied
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 9435

        #513
        Like the barn, Nelson.


        Before the shot


        Spiritual Tourists

        I like this second one for its ambiguity. Are the tourists worshipping Him by touring this ediface built to honor Him, or are they witnessing the wonder of His handiwork?
        Last edited by Katy Lied; 07-22-2010, 05:37 AM.

        Comment

        • woot
          Resident Science Cop
          • Nov 2008
          • 5531

          #514
          Ok here are a few from my trip.

          Here's my first view of the Great Rift Valley, formed as East Africa continues to separate from the rest of the continent, exposing all the old fossil-bearing sediments:


          One of many shanty villages setup along the road west of Nairobi:


          We camped right on Lake Victoria, so I ended up with a bunch of these:




          A black kite that lived in our camp. These and fish eagles were ubiquitous.


          A common insect next to a flagged fossil.


          An example of an in situ fossil. This one is the ulna of a primitive elephant.


          A view of the mainland from a hill on the eastern part of the island:

          Comment

          • woot
            Resident Science Cop
            • Nov 2008
            • 5531

            #515
            The Nairobi skyline, featuring a giraffe:


            And a few more wildlife shots:



            Comment

            • myboynoah
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 21719

              #516
              Cool pictures woot. Wow.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #517
                Cool photos, woot. I really like the shanty town one.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • RobinFinderson
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10548

                  #518
                  Awesome, woot. Woot woot, woot!

                  Comment

                  • Katy Lied
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 9435

                    #519
                    I especially like the shantytown picture. Are you using a nikon wide angle lens?

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #520
                      Awesome photos, woot! Like others, I like the shanty town, but the photo of the giraffes is my favorite.
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • Chachi
                        Junior Member
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 247

                        #521


                        grr...can only get this one to upload! not sure why it's not letting upload any others!!!
                        Last edited by Chachi; 07-26-2010, 11:24 PM.

                        Comment

                        • FN Phat
                          I ♥ gateway sex
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 8691

                          #522
                          Originally posted by Chachi View Post
                          [ATTACH]788[/ATTACH]

                          grr...can only get this one to upload! not sure why it's not letting upload any others!!!
                          I'm your huckleberry.


                          "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                          Comment

                          • FN Phat
                            I ♥ gateway sex
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 8691

                            #523
                            ...and your other pic

                            I'm your huckleberry.


                            "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                            Comment

                            • mtnbiker
                              it's all a blur
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 2573

                              #524
                              I took some pictures at my son's band's gig at Velour in Provo last Saturday night. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to take some decent pics under minimal light conditions while people move around on a stage? I took about 100 pictures, and these are some of the best. I didn't 'shop or modify any of them, other than to resize. I set the camera on auto-ISO, limiting to 1/30 or 1/60 of a second, and it mostly went to ISO 3200. I generally like the results, but wondered if there's anything else I can do to freeze the action when they actually move? Is the only other option a faster lens?

                              In this first pic, I used the flash, but it sterilizes the picture. No ambiance.


                              The rest were just taken with ambient light. As you can see, that light varied quite a bit.





                              Comment

                              • Tim
                                Not Banned
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 4390

                                #525
                                Beautiful old photos: http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...=Google+Reader
                                Visca Catalunya Lliure

                                Comment

                                Working...