Official Photography Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • filsdepac
    No pun intended
    • May 2009
    • 1823

    #556
    Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I didn't see any photos being displayed, but when I went to double-check they finally showed up for me. Who knows why they don't show up right away.

    I really wanted to run over to San Francisco on Saturday to watch all of the activities, but had to work most of the day. I've gone to it before. It's easy enough to find parking if you go early enough, but it seems to take about two hours (literally) to get out of San Francisco when it's over. That is one occasion when it's much easier to get around on two wheels than on four. I think riding BART into the city then getting around on a bicycle is fastest overall.

    Next best is probably doing something else for two or three hours before attempting to get out of there.

    The last time I attended in San Francisco was when they were having the Red Bull Air Races before the Blue Angles. This photo is from that:
    I heard getting into the city was also a headache this year since they closed Columbus for a fair, but I agree BART would be the best way.

    Not sure if they had the Red Bull air races, but they did have a few planes doing tumbling tricks in the air. I have no idea how those guys are able to do that without passing out. Freefalls, spins, etc., it's insane. My favorite trick is when the jets tilt up a little and almost come to a standstill. Those guys are talented.

    Comment

    • Scott R Nelson
      UofU/BYU mixed marriage
      • Apr 2010
      • 1508

      #557
      Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
      Not sure if they had the Red Bull air races...
      Normally those guys go to six cities per year and only one is in the United States. The last two were in San Diego and New York, although technically the one in Windsor, Ontario, Canada was visible from Detroit. Who knows when they'll be back in San Francisco, but when they are, I want to be in a better viewing area.

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #558
        Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
        Probably because I had the album as private. Should be visible now...
        Now I see them... very cool.

        Comment

        • wuapinmon
          Soul Plumber
          • Dec 2008
          • 30711

          #559
          A friend of mine in Costa Rica took this. I like it:

          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

          Comment

          • RobinFinderson
            Banned
            • Nov 2008
            • 10548

            #560
            Rodeo is one of the most photogenic sports. Here are some shots of Little Robin's Halloween costume. It took me about an hour and a half to apply the prosthetic:



            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 38003

              #561
              That's freaky.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Katy Lied
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 9435

                #562
                Little Robin always seems to be doing the most fun things.

                Here are some photos by Djamilla Grossman of the SLTrib. I'm posting them here because they are really artsy despite the fact that she is doing sports photography. They're a little dark, but she sacrifices light to get such sharp pix. She has a good eye.












                This last one, I've never seen the ball just lying on the ground like that. It's a nice contrast to the motion of the players' bodies. It's probably luck that she got the shot at this exact milisecond, but it illustrates how fast lenses are nowdays. Hardly any blur or grain. Bonus that the BYU logo is displayed on the ball.

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #563
                  Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  Little Robin always seems to be doing the most fun things.

                  Here are some photos by Djamilla Grossman of the SLTrib. I'm posting them here because they are really artsy despite the fact that she is doing sports photography. They're a little dark, but she sacrifices light to get such sharp pix. She has a good eye.












                  This last one, I've never seen the ball just lying on the ground like that. It's a nice contrast to the motion of the players' bodies. It's probably luck that she got the shot at this exact milisecond, but it illustrates how fast lenses are nowdays. Hardly any blur or grain. Bonus that the BYU logo is displayed on the ball.
                  I hope Jimmer farted on the guy in the first one.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #564
                    So, by complete surprise, this morning I opened what I thought was a small gift from my mom to find a Nikon D3000. I'm now in the fancy camera fellowship and I look forward to upping my contributions to this thread.
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #565
                      My mom hates this one, but I think it's a great shot. She doesn't really look like this, but she does.
                      Attached Files
                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • Katy Lied
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 9435

                        #566
                        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        My mom hates this one, but I think it's a great shot. She doesn't really look like this, but she does.
                        Nice picture.

                        Comment

                        • Art Vandelay
                          Striving for mediocrity
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 10516

                          #567
                          SG, much like Katy I'm jealous of your talent; wuap's premiere entries are also quite impressive. Your wife is an excellent muse. She looks very different, yet always fetching (I'm not sure how to platonically complement a friend's wife) in the varied settings and poses you've photographed her in.

                          Though my only real contribution was starting it, I love this thread

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #568
                            That picture with the doll is creepy. The doll distracts from the subject of the photo.

                            Comment

                            • Green Monstah
                              Royal Rooter
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 13978

                              #569
                              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              Rodeo is one of the most photogenic sports. Here are some shots of Little Robin's Halloween costume. It took me about an hour and a half to apply the prosthetic:



                              Impressive.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                              Comment

                              • RobinFinderson
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10548

                                #570
                                Hey SG, Some solid photos and some amazing new gear. I try to shoot as much natural light as possible, but as I get better at using my Speedlite for a bit of fill, I can get better shots that are still very naturalistic. IMO, the main reason not to use a flash in most situations is that it distracts, but I have also noticed that using the flash at lower intensity, for a bit of fill, does not distract very much, and no one complains about flash blind spots floating around their field of vision.

                                Anyhow, over X-Mas I was in Montana and took a trip out to my favorite oxbow in the Missouri to shoot a an HDRI Pano. Here is the result:



                                If I remember right, this is five sets of bracketed photos (15 shots) shot from hand and stitched using PTGUI.

                                Here is a 4x6 crop that is more like the summer version I shot of this place many years ago.



                                And below is the original summer version I shot. This final version is WAY TOO OVERWORKED, but people tend to love it, and I'm no art snob, so I'm glad it makes them happy. But I don't really like it, and I've tried to keep things a bit more naturalistic in this return trip. Though the winter scene still looks a bit surreal, that is mostly attributable (IMO) to the general look of HDRI photography.

                                Comment

                                Working...