The official weather thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12365

    #1111
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    24 degree low schedule this week. RIP my fruit trees (blossoms).
    I have apricots and cherries on my trees. We are supposed to get to 26 one night. No fruit this year is my guess. Really bummed.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69682

      #1112
      Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

      I have apricots and cherries on my trees. We are supposed to get to 26 one night. No fruit this year is my guess. Really bummed.
      I am going to bust out all of my electric space heaters and maybe my propane fire pit. Going to go down fighting.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Copelius
        Maker of eyeballs
        • Dec 2012
        • 4053

        #1113
        22 expected Thursday early morning. I don't know if it is worth the effort because our trees are still so small.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

        Comment

        • Uncle Ted
          The Big 12 money shot.
          • Apr 2010
          • 28853

          #1114
          Man, the drought in Utah must be getting seriously crazy...

          Utah lawmakers consider a pipeline from the Pacific Ocean to the Great Salt Lake

          A legislative commission is floating the idea of a pipeline to bring water from the Pacific Ocean into the Great Salt Lake.

          "There’s a lot of water in the ocean and we have very little in the Great Salt Lake," said Sen. David Hinkins, R-Orangeville, who co-chairs the Legislative Water Development Commission.
          [...]
          When FOX 13 News asked commission co-chair Rep. Joel Ferry if they were actually serious about the idea, he replied: "Oh no, we’re dead serious about this. I mean, Ben, desperate times call for desperate measures and all options are on the table."

          The study would look at the cost to actually create a pipeline from the Pacific Ocean, across California and the Sierra-Nevada mountains, across the deserts of Nevada and ultimately into the Great Salt Lake in Utah.
          [...]
          https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...reat-salt-lake

          Have y'll just trying praying for moisture?
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69682

            #1115
            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Man, the drought in Utah must be getting seriously crazy...


            https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...reat-salt-lake

            Have y'll just trying praying for moisture?
            Yes we have! Our gov suggests that from time to time and the godless heathens in the state mock him on twitter.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Bo Diddley
              Senior
              • Jul 2012
              • 18786

              #1116
              Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Man, the drought in Utah must be getting seriously crazy...


              https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...reat-salt-lake

              Have y'll just trying praying for moisture?
              How much would that cost?

              I say do it. In another 40 years when it's flooding again, instead of building pumps for the West Desert, we just change the direction the water flows in the pipeline. But then, that would probably desalinate the lake.

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27877

                #1117
                Ha! Good luck getting the permits necessary to build a pipeline through California. They could pretend it is a high speed train (liberals love trains) and then maybe it would get built….but at a steep cost.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #1118
                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Ha! Good luck getting the permits necessary to build a pipeline through California. They could pretend it is a high speed train (liberals love trains) and then maybe it would get built….but at a steep cost.
                  Utah just needs to sell it to them as it helping to save California from the rising oceans... Then when the Salt Lake is full again they can use it to pipe oil.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Bo Diddley
                    Senior
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 18786

                    #1119
                    It's snowing outside right now in Orem.

                    Comment

                    • Donuthole
                      Official Outgayer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 25266

                      #1120
                      I golfed 18 holes this morning in 25-30mph winds. Normally I would have begged off, but a friend was counting on me to join him, so I sucked it up. I had one of my best ball striking rounds in a long time--maybe ever--but there is just no way to score well in that wind. My partner and I played match play, and by the end of the round we were lagging 10 footers and playing 2-3 feet of wind break on them, just to leave the next putt in a makeable range.

                      On one short par 4, the wind was dead into us. I mashed a low draw off the tee which cut through the wind pretty well, but still only went 225. Left me 125 out. Partner was 135 out and hit a 5-iron, which ballooned and came up short of the green (moving backwards by the time it landed). I clubbed up to a 4-iron (my 190 club) from 125, blasted a low stinger, and came up just past pin high. So it was a 6-club wind. Conversely, a few holes later I hit a 9-iron (my 135 club) from 185 with the wind at my back and rolled through the green.

                      On both of the downwind par 5s we were past the green in 2. On both of the par 5s into the wind, we weren't yet to the green in 3.

                      Bonus, was that the course was wide open. We got separate carts and played in 2:03.
                      Last edited by Donuthole; 05-20-2022, 12:09 PM.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                      Comment

                      • Bo Diddley
                        Senior
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 18786

                        #1121
                        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        I golfed 18 holes this morning in 25-30mph winds. Normally I would have begged off, but a friend was counting on me to join him, so I sucked it up. I had one of my best ball striking rounds, in a long time--maybe ever--but there is just no way to score well in that wind. My partner and I played match play, and by the end of the round we were lagging 10 footers and playing 2-3 feet of wind break on them, just to leave the next putt in a makeable range.

                        On one short par 4, the wind was dead into us. I mashed a low draw off the tee which cut through the wind pretty well, but still only went 225. Left me 125 out. Partner was 135 out and hit a 5-iron, which ballooned and came up short of the green (moving backwards by the time it landed). I clubbed up to a 4-iron (my 190 club) from 125, blasted a low stinger, and came up just past pin high. So it was a 6-club wind. Conversely, a few holes later I hit a 9-iron (my 135 club) from 185 with the wind at my back and rolled through the green.

                        On both of the downwind par 5s we were past the green in 2. On both of the par 5s into the wind, we weren't yet to the green in 3.

                        Bonus, was that the course was wide open. We got separate carts and played in 2:03.
                        I have a lot of experience playing golf in high winds--well, on the wii.

                        Comment

                        • PaloAltoCougar
                          Semper infra dignitatem
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 16936

                          #1122
                          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          I golfed 18 holes this morning in 25-30mph winds. Normally I would have begged off, but a friend was counting on me to join him, so I sucked it up. I had one of my best ball striking rounds in a long time--maybe ever--but there is just no way to score well in that wind. My partner and I played match play, and by the end of the round we were lagging 10 footers and playing 2-3 feet of wind break on them, just to leave the next putt in a makeable range.

                          On one short par 4, the wind was dead into us. I mashed a low draw off the tee which cut through the wind pretty well, but still only went 225. Left me 125 out. Partner was 135 out and hit a 5-iron, which ballooned and came up short of the green (moving backwards by the time it landed). I clubbed up to a 4-iron (my 190 club) from 125, blasted a low stinger, and came up just past pin high. So it was a 6-club wind. Conversely, a few holes later I hit a 9-iron (my 135 club) from 185 with the wind at my back and rolled through the green.

                          On both of the downwind par 5s we were past the green in 2. On both of the par 5s into the wind, we weren't yet to the green in 3.

                          Bonus, was that the course was wide open. We got separate carts and played in 2:03.
                          Sounds like an entertaining round. It reminded me of a round at Kaanapali where, instead of punching a five-iron as I should have, I hit a 9-iron straight into a 35+ mph wind. I popped it up more than usual, and I watched in awe as the ball climbed higher and higher, arcing back toward me, and eventually landing right behind me. I was signaling for a fair catch.

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #1123
                            This explains why it has been so dang hot in Texas lately...

                            TexasSun.png
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Bo Diddley
                              Senior
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 18786

                              #1124
                              Record heat expected this week. I was gonna reroof my house this week, but have decided to wait a couple weeks for cooler weather.

                              Comment

                              • BigPiney
                                Huge Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 12365

                                #1125
                                Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                Record heat expected this week. I was gonna reroof my house this week, but have decided to wait a couple weeks for cooler weather.
                                yeah, what the hell? It is supposed to be 104 here all next week. I can't remember it being this hot in september.

                                I also need to reroof my house. you are welcome to come help me when you are done with yours.

                                Comment

                                Working...