Best iPhone/iPod Apps

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Uncle Ted
    The Big 12 money shot.
    • Apr 2010
    • 28853

    #826
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Speaking of which, our church has a new wifi system. No more crappy consumer grade stuff with spotty coverage. Industrial-grade Cisco-based system. Coverage is strong and consistent. The ward clerk owes me a favor so I got the password with no problem.

    He told me that they installed these systems all along the Wasatch front. Anybody elsewhere get new wifi?
    Was this before and after Facebook got blocked?

    We only get a strong signal in the back half of the building so I'm guessing we don't have the new cisco APs. We also are still sitting in the very back in the gym for sacrament meeting.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12367

      #827
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Speaking of which, our church has a new wifi system. No more crappy consumer grade stuff with spotty coverage. Industrial-grade Cisco-based system. Coverage is strong and consistent. The ward clerk owes me a favor so I got the password with no problem.

      He told me that they installed these systems all along the Wasatch front. Anybody elsewhere get new wifi?
      We have it here in the promised land. Of course I am the only one at Church young enough to actually use it, but it is awesome.

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #828
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Speaking of which, our church has a new wifi system. No more crappy consumer grade stuff with spotty coverage. Industrial-grade Cisco-based system. Coverage is strong and consistent. The ward clerk owes me a favor so I got the password with no problem.

        He told me that they installed these systems all along the Wasatch front. Anybody elsewhere get new wifi?
        We have it in all buildings in our stake. Works great. Everyone knows the password, which I'm told is the same church-wide.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37987

          #829
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          We have it in all buildings in our stake. Works great. Everyone knows the password, which I'm told is the same church-wide.
          We have pretty strong signal at our building, which is a 70s era stake center. I'm not sure when (or if) it was upgraded. I know I can get it sitting in my car outside.

          Also, there is no password for ours.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • The_Tick
            Made something of myself
            • Nov 2008
            • 7295

            #830
            Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
            We have it in all buildings in our stake. Works great. Everyone knows the password, which I'm told is the same church-wide.
            Care to send it to me so I can test it?

            Our Stake runs things as if we were in Eastern Europe.

            Comment

            • Uncle Ted
              The Big 12 money shot.
              • Apr 2010
              • 28853

              #831
              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
              We have it in all buildings in our stake. Works great. Everyone knows the password, which I'm told is the same church-wide.
              What are you waiting for? Post it.

              Actually, I know the passwords for two of the buildings in our stake. They are different. Of course, in Texas we go to a different church then y'all on the left-coast.
              Last edited by Uncle Ted; 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Drunk Tank
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 2569

                #832
                I noticed a few weeks ago I was able to pick up a wifi signal in sac meeting. Was labeled LDS wifi or something. So if there is a universal password, spill it!
                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69711

                  #833
                  Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                  I noticed a few weeks ago I was able to pick up a wifi signal in sac meeting. Was labeled LDS wifi or something. So if there is a universal password, spill it!
                  Not until you give us the secret handshake.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • LiveCoug
                    LA Ute loves me
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18488

                    #834
                    Sweet.

                    [YOUTUBE]lxI1L1RiSJQ[/YOUTUBE]

                    Comment

                    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                      Time to camp
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26082

                      #835
                      Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                      I noticed a few weeks ago I was able to pick up a wifi signal in sac meeting. Was labeled LDS wifi or something. So if there is a universal password, spill it!
                      I got the password at my building, the only websites that would come up were lds.org and mormon.org.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

                      Comment

                      • Indy Coug
                        Heartless Bastard
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 18747

                        #836
                        Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        I got the password at my building, the only websites that would come up were lds.org and mormon.org.
                        Based on my experience the password appears to be universal.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

                        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69711

                          #837
                          Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          I got the password at my building, the only websites that would come up were lds.org and mormon.org.
                          I mentioned this to my friend from Springville the other day (he is a bishop) and he said that that is how it is supposed to work, based on his understanding. But in my building, I was able to get to CUF and several other websites (they did block Facebook). I wonder if it is a filter that is controlled at each building.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Indy Coug
                            Heartless Bastard
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 18747

                            #838
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I mentioned this to my friend from Springville the other day (he is a bishop) and he said that that is how it is supposed to work, based on his understanding. But in my building, I was able to get to CUF and several other websites (they did block Facebook). I wonder if it is a filter that is controlled at each building.
                            We were able to access a wide variety of websites at my previous ward (ESPN, Google, Gmail, Yahoo, CNN). Don't know about my current ward except that I couldn't access Mormon Messages via YouTube -- that had to be through mormon.org.
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

                            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #839
                              I don't think the password is secret. Just ask your ward clerk. It does appear that the FM Group (the guys who do professional building maintenance) are in charge of the installations, and how those are done seems to vary from building to building. In my ward's building, for example, it works great -- but not for iPad 2 or iPhone 4s. They're trying to figure out why. Those devices work fine in other buildings in our stake.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • bluegoose
                                7th round draft pick
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 4121

                                #840
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                I wonder if it is a filter that is controlled at each building.
                                Yes. Each building has their filters and controls.

                                When the new wi-fi was installed a couple of years ago in our Stake Center, there was no filter as far as I know. The building across town had a very strict filter and terrible coverage throughout the building. They also have the standard wi-fi password, whereas our stake center has still has no password protection.

                                Apparently the lack of filter came to someone's attention, so our Stake Center now has the standard controls that it sounds like you guys have. We no longer have access to Facebook or Youtube, which is a real bummer when we have tried to play some random song requests at stake dances that we didn't feel like buying.

                                Comment

                                Working...