2011 BYU Football Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Blueintheface
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 15382

    #496
    Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Glad practice is back today. I've missed it the last couple days.
    I'll have you know that despite the butt-whooping that BYU took at the hands of the Utah State Aggies last season () my nieces favorite moment of last football season was getting a picture with Jimmer in Logan. If Jimmer supports our gridders, maybe you could support Jimmer. Please, give generously.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

    Comment

    • MarkGrace
      Grooveshark dick tease
      • Dec 2008
      • 31546

      #497
      Two tweets from gman is all we have on practice right now? Pfft...

      Heaps went 5-7 with around 100 yards.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

      Comment

      • BGRTHNUMEGO
        Junior Member
        • May 2010
        • 3670

        #498
        Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        Two tweets from gman is all we have on practice right now? Pfft...

        Heaps went 5-7 with around 100 yards.
        I guess Galea'i delivering a big hit means he's back on the field.

        My biggest interest the next few days is to hear if Buckner can be consistently as good as he apparently was the first two days of spring.

        Comment

        • oxcoug
          Dolphins Rape Hipsters
          • Dec 2009
          • 5309

          #499
          Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post

          My biggest interest the next few days is to hear if Buckner can be consistently as good as he apparently was the first two days of spring.
          He had a nice breakup of a Heaps pass today near the goal line.
          Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

          It can't all be wedding cake.

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #500
            Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
            He had a nice breakup of a Heaps pass today near the goal line.
            Did you get to go?
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • oxcoug
              Dolphins Rape Hipsters
              • Dec 2009
              • 5309

              #501
              No, just was on the phone for five minutes with someone who did.

              Also mentioned that the D line was crushing the run - one of those things that's hard to interpret (are we badasses on the interior DL? or just bad at run blocking? or is it irrelevant this early in spring? probably the last). Mentioned that Munns got a few reps and that he thought Jray had a good showing.

              Said a couple of other things I'm not remembering.
              Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

              It can't all be wedding cake.

              Comment

              • jay santos
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 13652

                #502
                Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                Just a general note, but am I the only one who finds the piling on Anae/stroking the inner thigh of the Anae critic fan to be petty?

                I tire of the numerous mentions of the word "unpredictable" as well as the piling on for supposedly never coaching the tight ends. If in fact the tight ends were so successful during 5/6ths of Anae tenure at BYU in spite of Anae instead of due to Anae time will prove that point. To start laying the groundwork that next year's improved TE play somehow supports that assertion is bullshit and beyond disloyal to someone who gave BYU all he had. Of course they will be better next year, they likely would have improved significantly had Anae still be the TE coach and OC.

                Gawd I love Brandon Doman but he has done more to cause me to think he might be a petty wanker the past few weeks with his constant references to "unpredictable." I am absolutely sure if in fact that is what the final product actually is that I will forgive him and encircle him within the bosom of my love, but why would a stud like him have to placate to the stringpullers in this fanbase annoys me. Just make the offense better without stroking the inner thighs of the fans about your principle focus being their chief complaint of the past few years, it just looks really gay IMO.
                I guarantee at some point in the future Cougar fans in large numbers will complain about the predictability of Doman's offense, claiming they can predict the play based on the formation 90% of the time. "Here comes a run" cries out the asshole behind me at LES. "Oh yeah no shit, we're at the 1 yard line double TE, I formation, so what if it's predictable we're gonna run." Yeah and then how ironic it was we play action out of that the one time and flub it up.

                Comment

                • cougjunkie
                  *Banned*
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 23223

                  #503
                  Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                  No, just was on the phone for five minutes with someone who did.

                  Also mentioned that the D line was crushing the run - one of those things that's hard to interpret (are we badasses on the interior DL? or just bad at run blocking? or is it irrelevant this early in spring? probably the last). Mentioned that Munns got a few reps and that he thought Jray had a good showing.

                  Said a couple of other things I'm not remembering.
                  We are missing our starting center, LT and at least one if not two starting guards. With that being said I think this team may end up being very good against the run. With Fangupo, Fuga, Manumaleuna, Rowley, Tuiloma, and Richardson all playing a combination of DT/DE. It will be a lot like when we had Manaia Brown, Vince Feula and Daniel Marquardt. The difference is these guys are more athletic, will actually get some pass rush and we have the linebackers to fly around and make plays.
                  *Banned*

                  Comment

                  • Goatnapper'96
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10924

                    #504
                    http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...tml?id=6685675

                    I don't subscribe to Arnett, but has he gone the way of hyperbole given the competition he gets from TBS and the various other homeristic members of the blue clad blogosphere faithful?

                    IIRC, Brother Arnett was fairly grounded in reality and called it the way he saw it.

                    I don't know if I think this DL will be the best DL at BYU. But given the athleticism of KVN and Pendleton on the outside, if Hebron is healthy all year it won't need to do much more than just plug up the middle and let those two bring the death to anything going sideline to sideline. I think the sum of the parts will make for a very good front 7. I don't know about best ever, as the 1985 and 1996, 1998 and 1999 front 7's were really good but I think they may very well be better than the 2006 or 2007 front 7's, who I thought were very good in their own right.

                    I really like BYU's LB corps and will for a couple of more years.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

                    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

                    Comment

                    • Jacob
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 6801

                      #505
                      Gurney says Manu is looking like DE. Does that mean Fangupo is penciled in as the starting DT?

                      Comment

                      • Goatnapper'96
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10924

                        #506
                        Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                        Gurney says Manu is looking like DE. Does that mean Fangupo is penciled in as the starting DT?
                        I expect it to be him and Tuiloma, my guess is by October Fuga is working into the rotation as well. Fuga used his Med Redshirt/Redshirt for last season and given the NCAA 7 year window I doubt they will give Romney another year of elgibility even if BYU has a compelling case that Romney is physically unable to play this year. I think Romney will be ready sometime during the season and will start getting reps to get back in shape for next year when he will be the primary DT.

                        I really like the heavier DE/DT model on the outside, especially with the OLBs BYU will have for the next few years.

                        One key for BYU's DL next year is Matt Putnam's improved play. Speaking of DL for next year is Ian Dulan going to return and play? I thought he came home in December. Did he give up football? Anyone know his status?
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

                        I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

                        Comment

                        • MarkGrace
                          Grooveshark dick tease
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 31546

                          #507
                          I'm holding to my prediction that KVN will finish his career as the best LB ever to pass through the program...kid is a complete freak
                          Now there's some nipple hardening hyperbole for you, Goat!
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                          Comment

                          • Goatnapper'96
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10924

                            #508
                            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                            Now there's some nipple hardening hyperbole for you, Goat!
                            I love Gman like a brother, but after Saturday nite it is going to take a lil more than a tweet to lite my fire! Saturday was like graduating from dry to wet in the humping arena, without all the blood and frantic run to WalMart for a tube of KY Jelly...or something like that!

                            I think next years OLB will be good, but I actually believe the tandem of KVN and Alani Fua are going to be even more spectacular. I think both fit the model of the position better. KVN is a strong side backer that can cover in space more than a rusher. Alani Fua is a perfect traditional DE/3-4 OLB hybrid who has the length to disrupt qbs while rushing and speed to consistently nail 'em like Ron nails Jenna!
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

                            I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

                            Comment

                            • MarkGrace
                              Grooveshark dick tease
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 31546

                              #509
                              Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                              I love Gman like a brother, but after Saturday nite it is going to take a lil more than a tweet to lite my fire! Saturday was like graduating from dry to wet in the humping arena, without all the blood and frantic run to WalMart for a tube of KY Jelly...or something like that!

                              I think next years OLB will be good, but I actually believe the tandem of KVN and Alani Fua are going to be even more spectacular. I think both fit the model of the position better. KVN is a strong side backer that can cover in space more than a rusher. Alani Fua is a perfect traditional DE/3-4 OLB hybrid who has the length to disrupt qbs while rushing and speed to consistently nail 'em like Ron nails Jenna!
                              What happened on Saturday night?

                              Apo, Hoffman and McKay all excited about the first week of practice.
                              http://universe.byu.edu/node/14922
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                              Comment

                              • The_Tick
                                Made something of myself
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7291

                                #510
                                Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                What happened on Saturday night?

                                Apo, Hoffman and McKay all excited about the first week of practice.
                                http://universe.byu.edu/node/14922
                                BYU vs. Gonzaga...sheesh.

                                Comment

                                Working...