Originally posted by Surfah
View Post
2011 BYU Football Thread
Collapse
X
-
This guy is funny.
Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!
For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.
Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."
Comment
-
In game 1 we have Ross lining up wrong and forcing the team to use a TO, in addition to others not getting to their spot fast enough.Originally posted by MarkGrace View PostCue the MarkGrace is getting worried about expectations comment!
Ross clearly has the physical attributes, but remember how lost Cody Hoffman was at the beginning of last year? Remember him running the wrong routes? Remember how he would go one direction and the ball would go another? Remember how he and Jake took at least half the year to get on the same page? I'm definitely expecting more than a little of that from Ross.
(Takes cover in a bunker to dodge the bombs about to be lobbed by SoCalCoug)
In game 2 we have the QB throwing one direction while JJ goes the other -- a play that in many ways was the turning point of the game.
Like I said earlier, I think expectations for what this offense and Jake were going to do were out of line. There were clearly going to be growing pains along the way.So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.
Comment
-
Uale and Frazier interviewed today at BYU press conference.
Sadly no one asked Travis why he sucks shit at tackling.BYU defensive back Travis Uale
Playing Utah early during the season instead of toward the end: I think we're excited. Usually we wait a long time to play them. But it's a short time. Game three, week three. So I think we're excited. First home game. It's going to be really fun. Especially because it's early in the year and we don't have to wait.
Utah being in the Pac-12 adding importance to the game: I don't think that factors in. They're a great team. They could've went to what is now the Pac-12, they could've went there a little while go. I don't think it made them better. I think they've been good for a while.
Potential for a defensive-oriented game: I'm sure it could be any type of game. If it was the game it was with Texas, yeah, it would be a defensive game. I know that our offense will work hard and be able to execute the plays that coach Doman calls. I'm sure both sides of the ball is going to come out and be ready to play.
Defense's confidence level after two low-scoring games: Our confidence comes from our preparation during the week. Every Saturday night when the game's over, I'm not saying our confidence goes down. But as we practice during the week and Monday and Tuesday goes on, we're held to such a high standard by coach Mendenhall that our confidence slowly rises again.
BYU linebacker Jameson Frazier
The progress the defense has made and what it still has to accomplish: Last week obviously there was some weaknesses exposed and some assignment mistakes that definitely need to be cleaned up. We have a bright future ahead of us.
"Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault
"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors
Comment
-
Some Bronco comments from yesterday's practice.
On the emergence of former USC lineman Hebron Fangupo:
"Really a pleasant surprise. Probably performing if not at the highest level of any D-lineman, at least equal to that."
On cornerback Joe Sampson's performance:
"Joe Sampson is doing a nice job in rotating with Preston Hadley. I think our boundary corners are playing at a higher level than our boundary corners did a year ago."
On how linebacker Jameson Frazier is doing:
"Jameson Frazier is doing well. He will continue to play more and more and I think it is going to be essential that both he and Jadon Wagner play more -- because of how hard our outside linebackers are playing."
On whether they recruited Utah's Kruger brothers:
"We tried to recruit Paul and David. We wanted both of them."
On the Band of brothers T-shirt he wears during games:
"I started it a year ago. I did it for a reason. That's between me and the team. But it is not the most popular shirt, from what I understand. But I am not so concerned about that."
On whether it is the exact same shirt:
"I don't know. I have a whole rack of them in there. I don't put a mark on it to see like which one it was."
On why he is restricting interviews this week:
"I am basically trying to make sure our team focuses as much as they can just on playing the game. And it is hard enough as soon as they leave outside the fences here, because of all the comments. It is just one less thing they have to deal with, at least on a formal basis."
On Utah running back John White:
"Fast, physical for his size. I am impressed. And it looks like he got better from Game I to Game 2."
On the importance of this because it is an instate game:
"It has always been important. The Beehive Boot has been important to me as long as I've been the coach. It is the same this year. It is no different."
On what the defensive game plan will be:
"Not sure yet .. But i think we are playing well defensively and I think just more consistency is what we are after."So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.
Comment
-
Is there a Fangupo AP yet?Originally posted by MarkGrace View PostSome Bronco comments from yesterday's practice.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsby...aying.html.csp
On the emergence of former USC lineman Hebron Fangupo:
"Really a pleasant surprise. Probably performing if not at the highest level of any D-lineman, at least equal to that."
"Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault
"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors
Comment
-
I am not sure I have a whole rack of them I do not put a mark on them.Originally posted by MarkGrace View PostSome Bronco comments from yesterday's practice.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsby...aying.html.csp
I love it.*Banned*
Comment
-
I want to give Goat, and myself, a pat on the back. I think we were the only two pimpin Spencer a year or two ago. So far he is playing very well for a having only been home from his mission 8 months.
As previously noted, athletic trainer Kevin Morris said starting buck linebacker Brandon Ogletree is back practicing again after a concussion kept him out of the Texas game and is expected to play Saturday. Spencer Hadley, a sophomore from Connell, Wash., stepped in and played virtually the entire game in Ogletree's absence, and led the team with 12 tackles. His play was needed because starting middle linebacker Uona Kaveinga did not have a good game. Kaveinga missed several tackles, and was out of position at least a couple other times. I asked Mendenhall if Hadley will see an increased role when Ogletree comes back. "Spencer, yeah, he played really well and earned a lot of trust. So he might end up playing buck some and Brandon Ogletree at Mike if Uona Kaveinga gets tired. You could see a three-player rotation there very easily. We haven't decided yet, but he played really well."
Comment
-
LOL, ox crucified someone on CB for suggesting that Kav was playing poorly and Hadley would take some of his reps.Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostI want to give Goat, and myself, a pat on the back. I think we were the only two pimpin Spencer a year or two ago. So far he is playing very well for a having only been home from his mission 8 months.Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
God forgives many things for an act of mercyAlessandro Manzoni
Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.
pelagius
Comment
-
-
Honestly, I wouldn't be pissed if he kept the weight on and replaces Uale at safety. Granted, my first preference is probably Hague at Free and keeping Sampson and Hadley at the corners, but moving Sampson would be a solid move as well IMO.Originally posted by MarkGrace View PostSo Sampson looks like a player. Am I wrong in thinking that if he dropped about 15 lbs he could be a total beast?
Comment
-
Sampson is really good at least for BYU. Hadley had some inept efforts against Utah, I think one of the long TDs for the Utes, that happened before I turned into a string-puller and headed for the vehicle, was basically a jump ball that Preston just mistimed. Saying that, he hits hard and I think would be the better FS. My dream for next year is that Jordan Johnson develops into a kick ass cover corner and takes the field corner position, Sampson is still around next year and plays the boundary. Hadley at FS and Sorenson at SS.Originally posted by Sizzle View PostHonestly, I wouldn't be pissed if he kept the weight on and replaces Uale at safety. Granted, my first preference is probably Hague at Free and keeping Sampson and Hadley at the corners, but moving Sampson would be a solid move as well IMO.Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
-General George S. Patton
I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
-DOCTOR Wuap
Comment
Comment