BYU vs Florida State thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Flystripper
    Degenerate Gambler
    • Nov 2008
    • 14094

    #736
    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I just finished watching the second half of the game and read the thread, there is no real reason for huge optimism but we have been 1-2 a couple times and it ended well. Let's not finish tying the noose just yet.

    I was convinced Beck would never be able to win a big game after Boston College 06, we were a horrible defense that couldn't stop a HS team after the 07 Tulsa debacle. I'm don't think this team is going to win 10 games, but I think we can still be an 8-9 win team.
    I think we win 6 or 7
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

    Comment

    • cougjunkie
      *Banned*
      • Nov 2008
      • 23223

      #737
      Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
      Bronco: "Overall, the defense played one of its better games of the year."

      That is not saying much.

      I would say, if you don't count tackling as part of the defense, then yes. It was certainly better that AFA and on par with Udub. Washington just couldn't take advantage of it, where Ponder did.

      Ponder for heisman! #1 pick!
      I kind of see the optimism from Bronco. Like I posted in another thread. Ponder averaged under 4 yards per carry.

      Florida State had 44 carries for 278 yards, 120 of those came on 2 plays. Eliminate those plays and they have 42 for 158, which is 3.7 ypc I take that as well if I am a coach.

      Passing they threw for 170 yards, 45 of those came on one play where Bradley had great coverage.

      Other than the missed tackles (which lead to the big plays) I thought the defense was solid. If they can clean that up we are right in that game to the very end.
      Last edited by cougjunkie; 09-20-2010, 10:14 AM.
      *Banned*

      Comment

      • Coach McGuirk
        1
        • Nov 2008
        • 12109

        #738
        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        I kind of see the optimism from Bronco. Like I posted in another thread. Ponder averaged under 4 yards per carry.

        Florida State had 44 carries for 278 yards, 120 of those came on 2 plays. Eliminate those plays and they have 42 for 158, which is 3.7 ypc I take that as well if I am a coach.

        Passing they through for 170 yards, 45 of those came on one play where Bradley had great coverage.

        Other than the missed tackles (which lead to the big plays) I thought the defense was solid. If they can clean that up we are right in that game to the very end.

        I thought the secondary was money in coverage. Bradley did have great coverage on that play, I still don't see how he missed deflecting it. I thought he had it.

        Defensive line was fairly stout. We certainly don't get a ton of traditional pressure on the QB even bringing a LB. I don't know what to make of the LB's. most of the time they were in position to make the play, they just didn't.

        Comment

        • beefytee
          Board eye candy
          • Mar 2009
          • 7542

          #739
          Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          I kind of see the optimism from Bronco. Like I posted in another thread. Ponder averaged under 4 yards per carry.

          Florida State had 44 carries for 278 yards, 120 of those came on 2 plays. Eliminate those plays and they have 42 for 158, which is 3.7 ypc I take that as well if I am a coach.

          Passing they through for 170 yards, 45 of those came on one play where Bradley had great coverage.

          Other than the missed tackles (which lead to the big plays) I thought the defense was solid. If they can clean that up we are right in that game to the very end.
          I don't see the defense as a glaring hole either. They had some bad plays and bad tackles, but generally held against a pretty potent offense. They certainly did better than last year, where they couldn't stop a single play.

          BYU's offense is another story. Florida State defense hasn't been very good and has been easily exploited, but our offense was able to do nothing against them.

          Maybe there defense has improved since the OK game and will be formidable. Maybe they are getting a feel for Stoops' defense. I don't know. I'm not holding my breath though.

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #740
            Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            I think we win 6 or 7
            7 plus a bowl win is 8! We can both be right.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #741
              Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              I don't see the defense as a glaring hole either. They had some bad plays and bad tackles, but generally held against a pretty potent offense. They certainly did better than last year, where they couldn't stop a single play.

              BYU's offense is another story. Florida State defense hasn't been very good and has been easily exploited, but our offense was able to do nothing against them.

              Maybe there defense has improved since the OK game and will be formidable. Maybe they are getting a feel for Stoops' defense. I don't know. I'm not holding my breath though.
              They did change their scheme against us so that might have helped them. They were a strict man to man team and they decided to go zone against BYU. I actually agree with others who have said that our receivers are not playing well right now, they are just not getting open.
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • Art Vandelay
                Striving for mediocrity
                • Jul 2009
                • 10516

                #742
                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                They did change their scheme against us so that might have helped them. They were a strict man to man team and they decided to go zone against BYU. I actually agree with others who have said that our receivers are not playing well right now, they are just not getting open.
                At the UW game where I could see the whole field in person and in re-watching the last couple games with the help of DVR I have concentrated on McKay specifically. He looks at least a step slower than he did before his mission. He is getting almost zero separation and coming out of most of his breaks slow. He hasn't learned to use his body like Collie did. I was pleased to see that Hoffman is emulating Austin's old technique of pushing off on all his come back routes. I personally think it is a great move. Collie likely got 1 offensive PI for every 7-10 extra receptions it gave him.

                Comment

                • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                  Time to camp
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26082

                  #743
                  Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  At the UW game where I could see the whole field in person and in re-watching the last couple games with the help of DVR I have concentrated on McKay specifically. He looks at least a step slower than he did before his mission. He is getting almost zero separation and coming out of most of his breaks slow. He hasn't learned to use his body like Collie did. I was pleased to see that Hoffman is emulating Austin's old technique of pushing off on all his come back routes. I personally think it is a great move. Collie likely got 1 offensive PI for every 7-10 extra receptions it gave him.
                  Plus when he did get the OPI everyone could BOO loudly at what an awful call it was. Win-Win.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

                  Comment

                  • LA Ute
                    Receiver of Memory
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19512

                    #744
                    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    At the UW game where I could see the whole field in person and in re-watching the last couple games with the help of DVR I have concentrated on McKay specifically. He looks at least a step slower than he did before his mission. He is getting almost zero separation and coming out of most of his breaks slow. He hasn't learned to use his body like Collie did. I was pleased to see that Hoffman is emulating Austin's old technique of pushing off on all his come back routes. I personally think it is a great move. Collie likely got 1 offensive PI for every 7-10 extra receptions it gave him.
                    But wait - that doesn't sound like "living right on and off the field."
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden


                    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                    Comment

                    • YOhio
                      Hipster Mode
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26165

                      #745
                      Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      But wait - that doesn't sound like "living right on and off the field."
                      lol! Way to use Austin Collie's three year old quote against him! That is some seriously good stuff and it just doesn't ever seem to get stale.

                      Comment

                      • DapperDan
                        Whut?
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 1132

                        #746
                        FSU O vs BYU D review


                        I really wish someone on the BYU side put out this kind of quality material.

                        Comment

                        • cougjunkie
                          *Banned*
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 23223

                          #747
                          Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                          FSU O vs BYU D review


                          I really wish someone on the BYU side put out this kind of quality material.
                          Have you not been paying attention?

                          Spurlock gets too high here and #55 (good player) blows him up.
                          (Manumaleuna is #55

                          Should note that BYU's backside mike backer plays this really poorly.
                          The DE crashed down really hard and took away the cutback.
                          Manumaleuna again

                          Spurlock with a poor block here. His feet are too close together and he lets a 290-lber spin him.
                          Manu one more time.

                          Defensive end doesn't bite on the play-action fake and is on Ponder too quickly for him to throw it. Good scramble and good job not getting hit.
                          So'oto gets the nod here.

                          Ponder, C. sacked for loss of 4 yards to the BY16 (MANUMALEUNA, E ;PENDLETON, Jord), clock 09:34. Orelus gets beat on an inside move on a 5-step drop
                          Manu!

                          Lots of talk about the ends and Pendelton playing well for BYU and the MLBs being poor. No reason to break down every play it was pretty obvious.
                          *Banned*

                          Comment

                          • creekster
                            It is NOT a monkey!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22661

                            #748
                            Manu was pretty amazing. I tried to watch him in particualr on some replays and he was consitently making the FSU guys feel unhappy.

                            Of course, I know even less than Mark Grace about football, so take it for what its worth.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #749
                              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              lol! Way to use Austin Collie's three year old quote against him! That is some seriously good stuff and it just doesn't ever seem to get stale.
                              It's true. He is forever joined with Lenny Gomes and Max H. in the pantheon of former BYU players who blurted post-game statments displaying laughable and epic poor sportsmanship, which BYU fans love - some secretly, others openly. Those guys are the gifts that keep on giving. They're eternal.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • creekster
                                It is NOT a monkey!
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22661

                                #750
                                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                                It's true. He is forever joined with Lenny Gomes and Max H. in the pantheon of former BYU players who blurted post-game statments displaying laughable and epic poor sportsmanship, which BYU fans love - some secretly, others openly. Those guys are the gifts that keep on giving. They're eternal.
                                What? You believe that his staement about magic happens displayed "laughable and epic poor sportsmanship?"

                                Beneath that serene exterior you are one prickly little ute.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                                Comment

                                Working...