BYU vs Florida State thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Shaka
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 10449

    #706
    Originally posted by Maximus View Post
    You haven't answered the main question, why didn't anyone, besides USU, recruit him to be a QB?

    Where were the nice medium range throws this year? The one to the wide open JJ?
    I've answered that question numerous times in the past. The reason is he doesn't have prototypical QB size. If Nelson were two inches taller he would have received a lot more attention.

    Comment

    • Non Sequitur
      Where did I put my bodkin
      • Nov 2008
      • 5773

      #707
      Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      Hasn't shown he can do it and having the ability to do it are two different things. Also if you go view the footage on Youtube of USU vs Fresno you will see that Nelson threw a couple of nice medium range balls. Also I saw him throw some nice medium and some deep balls in practice this year the three times I attended.

      I'm curious, how far do you think Nelson can throw? 35 yards? 40 yards?
      I used to date a woman who had the ability to not be a bitch. I dated her for two months because I was waiting for her to show me that she didn't have to be a bitch. We eventually broke up because she was a bitch.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

      Comment

      • Coach McGuirk
        1
        • Nov 2008
        • 12109

        #708
        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        Bronco knows this and there's a reason that, after the game, he insinuated that the QB question is anything but settled.

        If this is true, Bronco is dumber than I previously thought. 3 games, however many practices, you have seen what the candidates can do. Time to man up and choose and at this point, I don't really care who(okay, I do). Get some cohesiveness on the team, give complete work to the one and make the guys get behind the choice. Work on one style game plan and make the reason the guys suck is because they flat out suck, don't give them or us an excuse. Otherwise, this is going to get ridiculous.

        Now, if we can just start tackling. I think our secondary was adequate and even when they were beat, the receiving YAC seemed pretty low. Ponder made some great throws to beat the coverage. Rushing yards seemed to come from the edges and even then someone made first contact within 2-3 yards.

        Rushing 3, which it seems I saw a lot on Saturday, scares me. We get no pressure when we do this and gave ponder a ton of lanes to choose from when he bailed because of coverage.

        Comment

        • MarkGrace
          Grooveshark dick tease
          • Dec 2008
          • 31546

          #709
          Originally posted by Shaka View Post
          I've answered that question numerous times in the past. The reason is he doesn't have prototypical QB size. If Nelson were two inches taller he would have received a lot more attention.
          The real reason is, despite the fact that you saw him make some nice throws in high school, college recruiters watched him make the same throws and determined he didn't have the arm. The size argument is a cop-out. There are many QB's in his same general size range that are highly recruited D-1 prospects every year.

          I seriously don't get why you won't own up to his arm.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69706

            #710
            Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            The real reason is, despite the fact that you saw him make some nice throws in high school, college recruiters watched him make the same throws and determined he didn't have the arm. The size argument is a cop-out. There are many QB's in his same general size range that are highly recruited D-1 prospects every year.

            I seriously don't get why you won't own up to his arm.
            We need to put you two into a cage so you can settle this once and for all.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • U-Ute
              Non member
              • Aug 2009
              • 2071

              #711
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              We need to put you two into a cage so you can settle this once and for all.
              [YOUTUBE]UE2LoPeCi74[/YOUTUBE]

              Comment

              • Shaka
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 10449

                #712
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                We need to put you two into a cage so you can settle this once and for all.
                He would sue me to death.

                In all fairness I really like MG. We squabble in threads like this but I have a lot of respect for him. Same with MPFunk. The other guy hasn't been around enough to form much of an opinion.

                I think the average CBer is a football moron.

                Comment

                • Shaka
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 10449

                  #713
                  Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  The real reason is, despite the fact that you saw him make some nice throws in high school, college recruiters watched him make the same throws and determined he didn't have the arm. The size argument is a cop-out. There are many QB's in his same general size range that are highly recruited D-1 prospects every year.

                  I seriously don't get why you won't own up to his arm.
                  I was literally sitting in the press box and the Crimson Club room watching Nelson play in his final games. Sitting there right with me were coaches from every school in the intermountain west as well as several others. I talked to many of them including guys from BYU. Nelson's size was the main problem for most.

                  Comment

                  • Maximus
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 6022

                    #714
                    Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                    I was literally sitting in the press box and the Crimson Club room watching Nelson play in his final games. Sitting there right with me were coaches from every school in the intermountain west as well as several others. I talked to many of them including guys from BYU. Nelson's size was the main problem for most.
                    So if he had 2 more inches, he would be on the fast track to a scholarship from Tennessee, Oklahoma, and other top schools?

                    Comment

                    • Shaka
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 10449

                      #715
                      Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                      So if he had 2 more inches, he would be on the fast track to a scholarship from Tennessee, Oklahoma, and other top schools?
                      Did I say that?

                      Comment

                      • Maximus
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 6022

                        #716
                        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        Did I say that?
                        You are insinuating that the primary difference between heaps and nelson is 2 inches. At least that is what I am getting.

                        Comment

                        • ewth8tr
                          Reverend of Irreverence
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 2347

                          #717
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          We need to put you two into a cage so you can settle this once and for all.
                          While I haven't met MG, I have met Shaka and I'm guessing MG wouldn't last long
                          "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

                          Comment

                          • FMCoug
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 6825

                            #718
                            Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                            While I haven't met MG, I have met Shaka and I'm guessing MG wouldn't last long
                            I have met both. I concur.
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                            Comment

                            • Shaka
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 10449

                              #719
                              Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                              Has riley ever shown he can throw medium or deep balls? At USU? Why did no one recruit him to be a QB?
                              I took this at one of the open practices. Apologies for the quality as it was taken on my EVO (allegedly in 720i) and the video compression of Photobucket does a number on it. I haven't posted because I was asked to hold onto it for a bit. I figure there's nothing super-secret on this video so I'm posting it anyway. The others I'm keeping under wraps as I mostly took them to keep an eye out for some new drills I could use when I coach.

                              Here you can see each QB throwing several different kinds of routes. You can see some very nice balls from Jake and good balls from the others as well. Note when Nelson starts throwing from the right hash down the right sideline. That ball goes forty yards through the air (farther if you count that it was throw from the hash). Aside from not being as pretty as Jake's Nelson's ball is comparable with any of the others. In fact that day I thought he was throwing better than Lark or Munns on any of the routes. At the last open scrimmage at LES in an early play Nelson overthrew a receiver on another deep patter than was farther than any of these throws.

                              Click on the header to access the video as I can't figure out how to embed it correctly.
                              [ame="http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f68/shakarocks/public%20vids%20and%20pics/?action=view&current=Throwingpractice.mp4"]public vids and pics :: Throwing Practice video by shakarocks - Photobucket[/ame]

                              Comment

                              • Shaka
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 10449

                                #720
                                Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                                You are insinuating that the primary difference between heaps and nelson is 2 inches. At least that is what I am getting.
                                Then you really need to work on your reading comprehension. The question is why were colleges passing on Nelson. I answered the question. BYU was had some interest in Nelson but lost it after they locked up Lark early.

                                Comment

                                Working...