BYU vs Florida State thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MarkGrace
    Grooveshark dick tease
    • Dec 2008
    • 31546

    #661
    Originally posted by Shaka View Post
    The funny thing is not arguing for Nelson. I'm arguing for honesty when games are evaluated. Junkie and I don't always agree but I respect his opinion because he can break down a game beyond the, "Nelson can't throw accurately for more than ten yards" thing.

    You, Grace, and especially MPFunk really aren't doing Heaps any favors by continuing to go after Nelson.
    Hold on a second, all I've ever said are things similar to what Junkie and Hot Lunch and guys like that have already said. My observation after watching Nelson once again is that his arm is just flat out terrible. Does he need more time and better performances from his receivers and all of that? Sure, of course that would help. But even with all that, there are things about his throwing ability that are entirely related to him and seriously sub-par. His release isn't quick; the ball doesn't come out with any velocity; he doesn't get a good, tight spin; half the time the ball is wobbling end over end;outside of very basic throws to the middle of the field (and even sometimes on those types of throws) the ball just floats all over; and on the whole his arm strength is just really, really bad. Go on and search the recesses of your brain and tell me when the last time you saw a starting QB at BYU with as bad of an arm/passing ability as Nelson. And no, I'm not buying Doman, because Doman still had a much better arm than Riley.

    I know I'm not a huge football guy, and I'm fully willing to admit that there are plenty of people on the board that know more than me, but as I said above, some of those guys have said the exact same things.

    Here CJ says Riley has an "awful" arm: http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=35
    CJ notes that Riley has an "awful" arm part II: http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=83
    Here he mentions Riley has "no" arm: http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...&postcount=109
    Junkie says Nelson has a "noodle" for an arm: http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=31
    The "noodle" is mentioned part II: http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=34

    And I'm sure you could find about a dozen more of these if you took longer than the 5 seconds I did to look. Let's see what HotLunch has to say.

    Hot Lunch says he doesn't think Riley has the arm to be a major college QB: http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...=nelson&page=3
    Hot Lunch mentions that he doesn't think Riley would have started at Utah State because of his arm: http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...47&postcount=8
    Hot Lunch doesn't think Riley can make plays with his arm: http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=38

    And again, he's made piles of comments like this over the last year or so if you want to do a little search.

    I will backtrack on my comment that every snap he takes is a waste, because obviously he's pretty good with his feet and could be a contributor that way. But, I don't take back any of my comments about his passing ability, because frankly, it is that bad, and everyone sees it except you for some reason. I think it's great that you saw him make throws in high school or whatever, but a serious assessment of his throwing ability to this point in his in college career doesn't lend itself to the conclusion that he has even an adequate arm. I know you have a lot of your reputation invested in the kid at this point, but I think it's time to reconsider what you said you were going to do some time ago: http://cougaruteforum.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=37
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

    Comment

    • All-American
      Right, as Usual
      • Nov 2008
      • 15665

      #662
      Originally posted by Commando View Post
      Not to mention HEAPS, Apo, Stout, Reynolds, DiLuigi, Pendleton, Rich, Bradley, Logan AUSTIN HOLT, Justin Sorensen, Craig Bills, etc. etc. etc. yeah borrowed time. Maybe stfu until you play Air Force or another real team so we can see whose sky is falling.
      How many of those guys have actually done anything on the college level? I wouldn't be citing freshmen who have played two plays at special teams as evidence of Bronco's recruiting capabilities.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

      Comment

      • MarkGrace
        Grooveshark dick tease
        • Dec 2008
        • 31546

        #663
        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        However all the mechanics in the world will not get Heaps to the top unless he continues to improve the mental side of the game. I think he will improve but the possibility exists that he easily grasped the high school game but doesn't have the brainpower to truly grasp the far more complex defenses he will see in college.
        The possibility always exists, sure. But at this point, there's nothing to suggest that he doesn't have the brainpower to get it, and in fact everything we've heard from the coaches says the opposite. The fact that he's getting to play as a true freshman by itself suggests that he's well ahead of the curve in terms of understanding this stuff. In addition, Bronco has repeatedly mentioned that he's been blown away by his ability to read and understand defenses relative to his age/experience level, and the coaches have mentioned that he's already at the point with this stuff that they'd thought he'd be at as a RS sophomore.

        When Doman says the kid is a phenom at the position and Bronco says he's one of the brightest QB prospects he's ever been around, I get the impression they're not only talking about his passing ability but also his understanding of the position.

        It could all take a turn for the worse and he might not improve beyond what we've already seen, but I think the chances of that are low and there's reason to be optimistic.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

        Comment

        • Commando
          Explosivo
          • Feb 2009
          • 20748

          #664
          Originally posted by All-American View Post
          How many of those guys have actually done anything on the college level? I wouldn't be citing freshmen who have played two plays at special teams as evidence of Bronco's recruiting capabilities.
          I shouldn't cite BYU's highest rated recruiting class ever as evidence of Bronco's recruiting capabilities?

          Good to know.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

          Comment

          • LA Ute
            Receiver of Memory
            • Nov 2008
            • 19512

            #665
            Originally posted by Commando View Post
            no. In the after-game presser, Kyle was spouting about how you've got to be held accountable. Straight up asshole move that I don't think many coaches, let alone Bronco of all people, would ever make. sorry- Kyle's a bully and an asshole.
            Right. Based on one incident 3 seasons ago that he acknowledged was a mistake.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden


            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

            Comment

            • All-American
              Right, as Usual
              • Nov 2008
              • 15665

              #666
              Originally posted by Commando View Post
              I shouldn't cite BYU's highest rated recruiting class ever as evidence of Bronco's recruiting capabilities?

              Good to know.
              You shouldn't cite people who have made as many catches, tackles, and points as I have as evidence of Bronco's recruiting capabilities.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

              Comment

              • FMCoug
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 6825

                #667
                Originally posted by Commando View Post
                I shouldn't cite BYU's highest rated recruiting class ever as evidence of Bronco's recruiting capabilities?

                Good to know.
                Right. And also, the success of the talented guys he inherited is all due to natural talent and has nothing to do with his ability to coach and develop players.

                Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                Comment

                • Non Sequitur
                  Where did I put my bodkin
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5773

                  #668
                  Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  I shouldn't cite BYU's highest rated recruiting class ever as evidence of Bronco's recruiting capabilities?

                  Good to know.
                  AA makes a fair point. The fact that few of these guys are playing either means that they were over-rated or that Bronco doesn't know how to manage personnel.
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                  Comment

                  • Portland Ute
                    Junior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 5647

                    #669
                    Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                    Right. And also, the success of the talented guys he inherited is all due to natural talent and has nothing to do with his ability to coach and develop players.

                    Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
                    Nobody disputes that Urban Meyer is a very, very good coach, yet, that's exactly the formula he used at Bowling Green, Utah and then at Florida.

                    Taking someone else's talent and maximizing it is not a knock. It's an obvious clue that someone is a good coach.

                    I'm with you, fm.

                    Comment

                    • Commando
                      Explosivo
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 20748

                      #670
                      Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                      AA makes a fair point. The fact that few of these guys are playing either means that they were over-rated or that Bronco doesn't know how to manage personnel.
                      really? as true freshman? Is it normal for true freshmen to sniff p.t. 3 games into their inaugural season at BYU?

                      fyi a lot of those guys ARE playing.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                      Comment

                      • All-American
                        Right, as Usual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 15665

                        #671
                        Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        really? as true freshman? Is it normal for true freshmen to sniff p.t. 3 games into their inaugural season at BYU?

                        fyi a lot of those guys ARE playing.
                        True. In fact, I'd almost make the exact opposite point: the more you have true freshman playing, the more reason you have to question the coach's management of personnel. The fact that Jake Heaps is our best option RIGHT NOW is unfortunate.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                        Comment

                        • Commando
                          Explosivo
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 20748

                          #672
                          Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          You shouldn't cite people who have made as many catches, tackles, and points as I have as evidence of Bronco's recruiting capabilities.
                          I don't know why you're bringing playing time and game time contributions into a discussion about recruiting at all.

                          Based on all relevant criteria, above all the ability to bring in highly successful, talented, and highly sought-after prep athletes into the program, Bronco is one hell of a recruiter. That's a fact.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                          Comment

                          • Commando
                            Explosivo
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 20748

                            #673
                            Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            True. In fact, I'd almost make the exact opposite point: the more you have true freshman playing, the more reason you have to question the coach's management of personnel. The fact that Jake Heaps is our best option RIGHT NOW is unfortunate.
                            You'd make that point, but you'd also be changing the subject. Weren't we talking about recruiting to begin with?
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                            Comment

                            • All-American
                              Right, as Usual
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 15665

                              #674
                              Originally posted by Commando View Post
                              I don't know why you're bringing playing time and game time contributions into a discussion about recruiting at all.

                              Based on all relevant criteria, above all the ability to bring in highly successful, talented, and highly sought-after prep athletes into the program, Bronco is one hell of a recruiter. That's a fact.
                              With all due respect, Commando, if you can't understand why I would bring up how well a player performs in a discussion about whether the coach is bringing in good players, you should think a little harder about it. On-field performance is an awfully relevant criterion. In fact, I'd argue that there is no more relevant criterion.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                              Comment

                              • il Padrino Ute
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19161

                                #675
                                Originally posted by Commando View Post
                                I don't know why you're bringing playing time and game time contributions into a discussion about recruiting at all.

                                Based on all relevant criteria, above all the ability to bring in highly successful, talented, and highly sought-after prep athletes into the program, Bronco is one hell of a recruiter. That's a fact.
                                I would say that a recruiting class should be judged after they graduate, rather than when they sign. Sure, they were studs in high school, but so was pretty much everyone else that is playing Div. I football. When these kids have to face college talent rather than high school talent, we can learn just how good they really are.
                                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                                Comment

                                Working...