The PAC 10 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • beefytee
    Board eye candy
    • Mar 2009
    • 7542

    #3571
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post

    If I'm the B1G, if UCLA can't come without Cal, I would probably just say goodbye to UCLA. That way, neither school gets more cash.
    This. Ditch UCLA and go grab Stanford. They would add the SFMA and wouldn't have to deal with silly California interstate bans. Stanford has few strings attached.

    Fox would be less happy as they wanted to lock up LA, but can't complain too much getting SF.

    Comment

    • originalsocal
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2009
      • 1632

      #3572
      Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

      Well, not double. If it really meant double Cal would already be invited. The reason they (and Utah and Stanford) aren't is because they dilute and the result would be less money per school. But yeah Newsom forcing Cal into the the Big Ten would definitely bring move overall money into the UC system. It would also be the first time since the start of realignment that political threats actually changed an outcome.
      Totally agree that it indeed would not double, but I was making a point that Newsome is not as dumb or "not rational" as some would portray him. With that said, even with the money being diluted, B1G would still make a much larger amount of money than anything the P12 would get any of their remaining teams. Do I believe that will happen? Nope. Do I think Newsom is irrational for trying to increase the money made by the UC system? Nope....he's just a politician looking for a quick buck.

      Comment

      • Omaha 680
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 11181

        #3573
        Originally posted by originalsocal View Post

        Totally agree that it indeed would not double, but I was making a point that Newsome is not as dumb or "not rational" as some would portray him. With that said, even with the money being diluted, B1G would still make a much larger amount of money than anything the P12 would get any of their remaining teams. Do I believe that will happen? Nope. Do I think Newsom is irrational for trying to increase the money made by the UC system? Nope....he's just a politician looking for a quick buck.
        Well Newsom is definitely a big dummy. But that's independent of him being a Democrat or how he is posturing with college sports right now.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69713

          #3574
          Originally posted by Pelado View Post

          If I'm the B1G, if UCLA can't come without Cal, I would probably just say goodbye to UCLA. That way, neither school gets more cash.
          Oh this would be a hilarious outcome. "OK, we won't take UCLA. We will take Stanford, OU, and Washington."
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • Flystripper
            Degenerate Gambler
            • Nov 2008
            • 14094

            #3575
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

            Oh this would be a hilarious outcome. "OK, we won't take UCLA. We will take Stanford, OU, and Washington."
            Stanford is a better fit and then they would have 2 of ND annual games in the conference to continue that pipe dream.
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

            Comment

            • Uncle Ted
              The Big 12 money shot.
              • Apr 2010
              • 28853

              #3576
              Originally posted by Pelado View Post

              If I'm the B1G, if UCLA can't come without Cal, I would probably just say goodbye to UCLA. That way, neither school gets more cash.
              Then ucla and cal can come to the Big 12!
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37987

                #3577
                Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

                Then ucla and cal can come to the Big 12!
                The Big 12 doesn't need anymore doormats.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • Green Monstah
                  Royal Rooter
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 13962

                  #3578
                  Stanford is in such a strange situation. They’re a world class institution. But I’m not sure they bring much monetary value.
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                  "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                  Comment

                  • Applejack
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 3813

                    #3579
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post

                    The Big 12 doesn't need anymore doormats.
                    Agreed. Way too many doormats as it is.

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69713

                      #3580
                      Originally posted by Applejack View Post

                      Agreed. Way too many doormats as it is.
                      OK. You made me laugh with that one.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37987

                        #3581
                        Originally posted by Applejack View Post

                        Agreed. Way too many doormats as it is.
                        Way to explain the joke.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • SeattleUte
                          Faith crisis consultant
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 20837

                          #3582
                          Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          Stanford is in such a strange situation. They’re a world class institution. But I’m not sure they bring much monetary value.
                          You're always wrong, you poor thing. Stanford has a better football tradition and brand and overall sports tradition and brand than BYU.

                          It's also not just a world class university but one of the two best in the world.

                          https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/202...t-discussions/
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                          --Jonathan Swift

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69713

                            #3583
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

                            You're always wrong, you poor thing. Stanford has a better football tradition and brand and overall sports tradition and brand than BYU.

                            It's also not just a world class university but one of the two best in the world.

                            https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/202...t-discussions/
                            Stanford has the best overall athletics program in the country - no question.

                            Like Cal, their football program has struggled with fan support lately. Tough to imagine them bringing enough value to justify a B1G invite, but who knows?
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • SeattleUte
                              Faith crisis consultant
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 20837

                              #3584
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                              Stanford has the best overall athletics program in the country - no question.

                              Like Cal, their football program has struggled with fan support lately. Tough to imagine them bringing enough value to justify a B1G invite, but who knows?
                              The article I linked says Stanford is 50 percent more valuable than Oregon.

                              Sounds plausible to me.
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                              --Jonathan Swift

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69713

                                #3585
                                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

                                The article I linked says Stanford is 50 percent more valuable than Oregon.

                                Sounds plausible to me.
                                I would be highly skeptical of anything John Canzano says. That guy is a hack.

                                That being said, it could be true. Oregon is probably being overvalued.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...