The PAC 10 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • All-American
    Right, as Usual
    • Nov 2008
    • 15680

    #4231
    Wait, the part you all are getting hung up on is that lawyers are the worst?

    I mean, take my word for it.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

    Comment

    • Omaha 680
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2011
      • 11183

      #4232
      What are the odds that the PAC has an offer slightly less than the Big 12 but Oregon and Washington won't sign the grant of rights? Trying to understand what could possibly be taking this long because there is no incentive to drag this out if they have a comparable offer and all schools really are telling the truth that they are committed to the conference.

      Comment

      • Omaha 680
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 11183

        #4233
        Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Wait, the part you all are getting hung up on is that lawyers are the worst?

        I mean, take my word for it.
        Personally in my profession I am very grateful for our lawyers. They protect me from all the other lawyers.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69747

          #4234
          Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          What are the odds that the PAC has an offer slightly less than the Big 12 but Oregon and Washington won't sign the grant of rights? Trying to understand what could possibly be taking this long because there is no incentive to drag this out if they have a comparable offer and all schools really are telling the truth that they are committed to the conference.
          Looks increasingly likely that they don't have an offer anywhere remotely close to what it will take.

          Here is a related theory:

          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • All-American
            Right, as Usual
            • Nov 2008
            • 15680

            #4235
            Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

            Personally in my profession I am very grateful for our lawyers. They protect me from all the other lawyers.
            I am also grateful for other lawyers. I get paid to go fix their mistakes.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

            Comment

            • BigFatMeanie
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 7121

              #4236
              Originally posted by Moliere View Post

              Technically I remain in play to hook up with Natalie Portman.
              Dude, she already signed a grant of rights (married)

              Comment

              • All-American
                Right, as Usual
                • Nov 2008
                • 15680

                #4237
                Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

                Dude, she already signed a grant of rights (married)
                We all know that just means it’s more expensive.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                Comment

                • myboynoah
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 21719

                  #4238
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                  Looks increasingly likely that they don't have an offer anywhere remotely close to what it will take.

                  Here is a related theory:

                  Ha, yeah, he's setting up the PAC so he doesn't take the fall.

                  Maybe Omaha is correct, that they have a sufficient offer in money terms (acceptable, not more than the B12), but the GoR/Exit penalty issue is the sticking point. Or the length of the contract, maybe? It's obvious that some schools are more committed to the PAC than others.

                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                  For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                  Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #4239

                    Pac-12 expansion: Would SMU create media value? “I think it probably helps,” sports media analyst says
                    [...]
                    “Does SMU create value for the Pac-12? I think it probably helps,” Crakes said.
                    At $3 million per school per year?
                    “I’m not sure about that,” he added. “Being conservatively optimistic, maybe adding SMU is worth $1.5 million (annually) for the other schools. That’s $99 million (over six years).
                    “Then in the next deal, they become an incremental chip on the table.”
                    The next deal.
                    That’s a critical point in the Pac-12’s expansion strategy. The conference must consider SMU’s value when the next media rights cycle comes to an end (in the late 2020s or early 2030s), and it starts the negotiating process all over again.
                    “They need to get better in football,” Crakes said.
                    “But if you end up doing something like merging with the ACC down the road, you have the Dallas market, which is nice.”
                    https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/03/...-analyst-says/

                    $99 million over six years or $16.5 million per year. So the average Big 12 team is worth about twice as much as SMU.


                    In other news, ESPN is tighten the belt and eliminating 7,000 jobs.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Omaha 680
                      Senior Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 11183

                      #4240
                      Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

                      https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/03/...-analyst-says/

                      $99 million over six years or $16.5 million per year. So the average Big 12 team is worth about twice as much as SMU.


                      In other news, ESPN is tighten the belt and eliminating 7,000 jobs.
                      Yeah you "have the Dallas market" like adding Weber State would give the Salt Lake market.

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #4241
                        Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

                        Yeah you "have the Dallas market" like adding Weber State would give the Salt Lake market.
                        Yeah, that seems right... that commuter university in the city isn't delivering it.

                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • SeattleUte
                          Faith crisis consultant
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 20837

                          #4242
                          https://forum.utefans.net/t/more-med...3?u=seattleute

                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                          --Jonathan Swift

                          Comment

                          • Moliere
                            One man.....one pie
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 27898

                            #4243
                            $31 million before PAC12 network expenses. Looks Arizona is coming to the Big12 after all.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #4244
                              Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                              $31 million before PAC12 network expenses. Looks Arizona is coming to the Big12 after all.
                              GBU is not good at math.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69747

                                #4245
                                "layup". Lol.

                                That would be a terrible deal.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...