The PAC 10 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ERCougar
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10978

    #1876
    Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    I have a sinking feeling in the pit of my gut. I'm starting to think my initial prediction of Utah going to a PAC 12 isn't going to happen. With it looking like the Big 12 will stay together with ten I fear the PAC 10 will bide their time and hold at eleven?
    THERE'S NOT A PERSON ON EARTH WHO IS SAYING THIS!!!!
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

    Comment

    • KillerDog
      a.k.a. K-dog
      • Feb 2009
      • 4196

      #1877
      Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
      Kansas' football program is in a larger market than Utah's and their average attendance is higher. Kansas has a BCS bowl win and is currently performing pretty well in the Big 12 north. If it were me, I'd take the bigger tv market, the higher average football attendance, and the better (top tier) basketball program. But that's just me and I'm pretty sure I'm biased but still the facts stack up in Kansas' favor.
      I think the larger market is a good argument. Higher attendance is also a relevant factor. I don't know what the real numbers are but Utah's attendance is never impressive.

      As far as BCS bowl wins, Utah has more and their last is more recent. Utah is performing well in the MWC which has been comparable or better than the Big XII North in recent years.

      I also think the Pac-10 has always liked focusing on cultural and scholastic similarities. Utah is probably more culturally and scholastically similar to the Pac-10. Also, Utah both recruits and plays more Pac schools at this point so they are better known to the voting institutions.

      Kansas is definitely better from a hoops perspective but that is a two edged sword.

      Add in the distance for travel and I think Utah is probably the better addition for the Pac-10. So much so that I'm surprised Kansas is being talked about at all. Now, that equation changes drastically if we are considering 4 Big XII south schools going to the Pac-10. In that case, Kansas gets the nod and Utah is left out. If it is just Colorado joining the Pac, Utah is my bet to accompany them.

      Comment

      • Babs
        Not a Lawyer
        • Nov 2008
        • 17128

        #1878
        12. It's Big 12. Surely the conference can hold together long enough for people to get the name right.

        Comment

        • SeattleUte
          Faith crisis consultant
          • Nov 2008
          • 20837

          #1879
          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          THERE'S NOT A PERSON ON EARTH WHO IS SAYING THIS!!!!
          Congratulations! You're in good company, I'll say that.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

          --Jonathan Swift

          Comment

          • Babs
            Not a Lawyer
            • Nov 2008
            • 17128

            #1880
            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
            Unlike him I don't deny the sun is shining when it is.
            Actually, the only difference seems to be that you're having more success trolling.

            Comment

            • SeattleUte
              Faith crisis consultant
              • Nov 2008
              • 20837

              #1881
              Originally posted by Babs View Post
              12. It's Big 12. Surely the conference can hold together long enough for people to get the name right.
              I think they should switch names with the big 10. But I've not heard another person on the planet say this.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

              --Jonathan Swift

              Comment

              • Babs
                Not a Lawyer
                • Nov 2008
                • 17128

                #1882
                Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                I think they should switch names with the big 10.
                You must mean the Big X.

                Comment

                • SeattleUte
                  Faith crisis consultant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 20837

                  #1883
                  Originally posted by Babs View Post
                  Actually, the only difference seems to be that you're having more success trolling.
                  He also has you on his side. No fair.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                  --Jonathan Swift

                  Comment

                  • tooblue
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5132

                    #1884
                    Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                    THERE'S NOT A PERSON ON EARTH WHO IS SAYING THIS!!!!
                    I may be wrong, it's likely just fear setting in. I should just stick to my prediction of Utah to a PAC 12.

                    Comment

                    • Babs
                      Not a Lawyer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 17128

                      #1885
                      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      He also has you on his side.
                      nonsense. babs doesn't have to doubleteam anybody.

                      Comment

                      • Jarid in Cedar
                        CS Institutional Memory
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 13234

                        #1886
                        Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        Whoa. ESPN just took down Chip Brown's Rumor Central report. It no longer exists. I guess they are committed to the Big 4 to the Pac 10 reporting.

                        We may finally be moving on to the Kansas vs. Utah debate.

                        Silly Kansas, they don't even know that Utah already has an invitation in hand.
                        Quite silly indeed.
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                        "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                        "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                        -Rick Majerus

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69676

                          #1887
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          It's especially interesting since NO ONE on the face of the earth is saying what you're saying. NOBODY.
                          Ha. When did that ever stop you?
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • ERCougar
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10978

                            #1888
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            Congratulations! You're in good company, I'll say that.
                            Well, I guess we'll see. I wonder when Chris will decide to stop torturing those 11 schools who are on the edge of their seats drooling over the the unique mix of academic power, BCS-dominating football, and Kansas-like basketball prowess that is Utah, and just accept the invite already.
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                            Comment

                            • SeattleUte
                              Faith crisis consultant
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 20837

                              #1889
                              Utah is in and here's why.

                              Perfect timing; perfect location; good enough resume. They're all alone in the Great Basin among the contenders, they make a great twosome with Colorado, their all around sports are kind of miraculous (for the past six years at least), and academically they are right where they need to be, by any measure (U.S. News, research, whatever), right there with Oregon, Washington State, Kansas, Oklahoma, and better than Oregon State, Kansas State and Oklahoma State by far.

                              Yes, seredipity. But life is that way. Magic happens!
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                              --Jonathan Swift

                              Comment

                              • Flystripper
                                Degenerate Gambler
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14089

                                #1890
                                Originally posted by Babs View Post
                                12. It's Big 12. Surely the conference can hold together long enough for people to get the name right.
                                its the logo

                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                                Comment

                                Working...