Ukraine - somebody explain to me

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wally
    <><><><><><><><>
    • Jun 2010
    • 4137

    #2926
    Originally posted by USUC View Post
    There is a coherent foreign policy position that pushes Europe to control their own defense (with actual consequences if they dont). But shitting on Ukraine while praising Russia is genuinely awful. And I believe it's only because Zelenski refused to go along with the Biden investigation. I think it's truly only because of his pettiness as opposed to actually believing Zelenski and Ukraine is a dictatorship. But his MAGA fans will believe this is all Ukraine's fault and their minds will never be changed.
    I agree with you that shitting on Ukraine and Praising (let's say) Putin is genuinely awful. I also genuinely think that this war is headed in a direction of basically a decades-long conflict without some shifting priorities from the participants as well as other affected nations in Europe.

    Assuming my assertions are correct, let's say Trump's genuinely awful rhetoric is effective in quickly creating a scenario where Ukraine is forced to capitulate on their borders (something I think is inevitable to avoid WW3) and there can be a brokered lasting peace. Do you think that the means are justified? This is where I find myself in these issues. I generally dislike Trump and his methods. But like it or not he is the President and I agree with his stated goal of negotiating peace in this conflict. If he can do that in his own obnoxious way, can I support it? I think I can.

    It's like if BYU gets a win against an SEC team in football. Am I happy that the blue blood lost to an underdog team? Grudgingly, yes. Would I rather it have been a loss to Utah? Of course.

    Comment

    • USUC
      Chronic Poseur
      • Apr 2010
      • 8803

      #2927
      Originally posted by wally View Post

      I agree with you that shitting on Ukraine and Praising (let's say) Putin is genuinely awful. I also genuinely think that this war is headed in a direction of basically a decades-long conflict without some shifting priorities from the participants as well as other affected nations in Europe.

      Assuming my assertions are correct, let's say Trump's genuinely awful rhetoric is effective in quickly creating a scenario where Ukraine is forced to capitulate on their borders (something I think is inevitable to avoid WW3) and there can be a brokered lasting peace. Do you think that the means are justified? This is where I find myself in these issues. I generally dislike Trump and his methods. But like it or not he is the President and I agree with his stated goal of negotiating peace in this conflict. If he can do that in his own obnoxious way, can I support it? I think I can.

      It's like if BYU gets a win against an SEC team in football. Am I happy that the blue blood lost to an underdog team? Grudgingly, yes. Would I rather it have been a loss to Utah? Of course.
      I mean, from a realpolitic perspective, keeping the meat grinder status quo is preferable as it continues the degradation of Russian capabilities. But at the real expense of Ukrainian lives. I absolutely think all this scrambling by Europe to get serious about its own self defense is long over due. Obama even warned them. I'm not really sure what is the best way to bring this conflict to an end. There probably isn't one. But I will never be comfortable with the narrative that Trump and Vance are creating that Ukraine had it coming. That it's their fault. That is beyond the pale.

      Comment

      • PaloAltoCougar
        Semper infra dignitatem
        • Nov 2008
        • 16939

        #2928
        Originally posted by wally View Post

        I agree with you that shitting on Ukraine and Praising (let's say) Putin is genuinely awful. I also genuinely think that this war is headed in a direction of basically a decades-long conflict without some shifting priorities from the participants as well as other affected nations in Europe.

        Assuming my assertions are correct, let's say Trump's genuinely awful rhetoric is effective in quickly creating a scenario where Ukraine is forced to capitulate on their borders (something I think is inevitable to avoid WW3) and there can be a brokered lasting peace. Do you think that the means are justified? This is where I find myself in these issues. I generally dislike Trump and his methods. But like it or not he is the President and I agree with his stated goal of negotiating peace in this conflict. If he can do that in his own obnoxious way, can I support it? I think I can.

        It's like if BYU gets a win against an SEC team in football. Am I happy that the blue blood lost to an underdog team? Grudgingly, yes. Would I rather it have been a loss to Utah? Of course.
        How optimistic are you that "a lasting peace" will ever be achieved with Putin? Ending the war now under Trump's apparent terms (no NATO, no surrender of occupied territory) is exactly what Putin is hoping for and gives him a chance to rebuild his army and claim victory among his people. Putin's end game is to rectify what he regards was the "greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the 20th Century," the breakup of the Soviet Empire. He's been piecemealing his way toward putting it back together again, which is why all of the surrounding countries, Ukraine, the Baltics, Poland, Moldova, Georgia, etc., look on in horror (and are doing more per capita than the U.S.) to stop it. Trump (and certainly Biden and Obama) should have been far more emphatic about forcing Russia to abide by its original agreements (see, e.g., the Budapest Memorandum) to respect its neighbor's borders, including Ukraine. We should still do that, while providing strong assurances that subject to Putin holding up his end of the agreements, U.S. and Europe will, too.

        But Trump has been in the bag for Putin from the beginning, respecting Putin's statements more than U.S. intelligence (Helsinki 2018 and continuing today). It's telling that in the past 72 hours Trump has said many more negative (and wrong) things about Zelenskyy than he has about Putin in the past ten years.

        Comment

        • myboynoah
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 21719

          #2929
          GkZaQR0XoAA-YhN.jpg
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

          Comment

          • myboynoah
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 21719

            #2930
            Originally posted by wally View Post

            I agree with you that shitting on Ukraine and Praising (let's say) Putin is genuinely awful. I also genuinely think that this war is headed in a direction of basically a decades-long conflict without some shifting priorities from the participants as well as other affected nations in Europe.

            Assuming my assertions are correct, let's say Trump's genuinely awful rhetoric is effective in quickly creating a scenario where Ukraine is forced to capitulate on their borders (something I think is inevitable to avoid WW3) and there can be a brokered lasting peace. Do you think that the means are justified? This is where I find myself in these issues. I generally dislike Trump and his methods. But like it or not he is the President and I agree with his stated goal of negotiating peace in this conflict. If he can do that in his own obnoxious way, can I support it? I think I can.

            It's like if BYU gets a win against an SEC team in football. Am I happy that the blue blood lost to an underdog team? Grudgingly, yes. Would I rather it have been a loss to Utah? Of course.
            This logic that Ukraine must capitulate on their borders in order for us all to avoid WW3 is Russian propaganda bullshit. It isn't real. So don't be cowed by hollow threats coming out of Moscow.

            Trump is a Russian asset. Don't ever trust that a deal he makes will be lasting or good for the Ukrainian people.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21149

              #2931
              Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

              This logic that Ukraine must capitulate on their borders in order for us all to avoid WW3 is Russian propaganda bullshit. It isn't real. So don't be cowed by hollow threats coming out of Moscow.

              Trump is a Russian asset. Don't ever trust that a deal he makes will be lasting or good for the Ukrainian people.
              His primary concern in any negotiation - "Is this good for me?"
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27897

                #2932
                Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

                This logic that Ukraine must capitulate on their borders in order for us all to avoid WW3 is Russian propaganda bullshit. It isn't real. So don't be cowed by hollow threats coming out of Moscow.

                Trump is a Russian asset. Don't ever trust that a deal he makes will be lasting or good for the Ukrainian people.
                I'm not yet convinced that Trump is a Russian asset, but I pretty much agree with the rest of this. If Russia is allowed to have the land they currently control, no ceasefire or peace deal will last. Putin, or whoever takes over after he dies, will rearm and then find a technicality that allows them to attack Ukraine again. It's only a matter of time before Russia takes the entire country regardless of what president is in office. Obama didn't do anything to stop it. Trump didn't do anything to stop it. Biden didn't do anything to stop it. Trump 2.0 won't do anything to stop it.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • myboynoah
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 21719

                  #2933
                  GkVWiW9WoAEh9UK.jpg
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                  For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                  Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                  Comment

                  • beefytee
                    Board eye candy
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 7542

                    #2934
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                    I'm not yet convinced that Trump is a Russian asset, but I pretty much agree with the rest of this. If Russia is allowed to have the land they currently control, no ceasefire or peace deal will last. Putin, or whoever takes over after he dies, will rearm and then find a technicality that allows them to attack Ukraine again. It's only a matter of time before Russia takes the entire country regardless of what president is in office. Obama didn't do anything to stop it. Trump didn't do anything to stop it. Biden didn't do anything to stop it. Trump 2.0 won't do anything to stop it.
                    Agree with most of this, but if Biden has done nothing, Ukraine would be a Russian territory now. He should have done more. He hesitated too much once the war started to drag on.

                    Comment

                    • frank ryan
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 12385

                      #2935
                      Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                      I'm not yet convinced that Trump is a Russian asset, but I pretty much agree with the rest of this. If Russia is allowed to have the land they currently control, no ceasefire or peace deal will last. Putin, or whoever takes over after he dies, will rearm and then find a technicality that allows them to attack Ukraine again. It's only a matter of time before Russia takes the entire country regardless of what president is in office. Obama didn't do anything to stop it. Trump didn't do anything to stop it. Biden didn't do anything to stop it. Trump 2.0 won't do anything to stop it.
                      What is the hardest part of considering that Trump may be under the spell of Putin? He has drastically altered our military, trade, diplomatic and intelligence strategies in ways that favor Russia, rather than us. Trump never has been a good or ethical person and Putin does this sort of thing (turncoating or blackmailing for leaders) all the time.

                      When I bring these things up, I'm often dismissed as a flat earther by people who haven't done much more than read or listen to right wing talking points.

                      You check out the documentary agents of chaos and read up on Alexander Dugin, not mention the Mueller report

                      Comment

                      • PaloAltoCougar
                        Semper infra dignitatem
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 16939

                        #2936
                        Originally posted by beefytee View Post

                        Agree with most of this, but if Biden has done nothing, Ukraine would be a Russian territory now. He should have done more. He hesitated too much once the war started to drag on.
                        True, and I'd include his coalition building and the admission of Sweden and Finland to NATO as other Biden positives, sadly a short list.

                        Comment

                        • Maximus
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 6026

                          #2937
                          Russian banks have been financial trump since the 80s when no one else would . Hmm

                          Guarantee there's lots of tapes

                          Comment

                          • frank ryan
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12385

                            #2938
                            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

                            True, and I'd include his coalition building and the admission of Sweden and Finland to NATO as other Biden positives, sadly a short list.
                            I don't think Biden was all that bad on Russia. You've got to take into account the amount of dreadful MAGA politicians, and Trump himself who delayed aid packages etc. Getting Finland and Sweden into NATO was Herculean, especially considering how Erdogan used that to shake multiple states down for bribes to approve the request and then had Orban (who curiously enough is a darling on the right wing, daily wire etc) also interfere. Orban had already softened sanctions etc.

                            I'd give Biden's foreign policy a passing grade considering what he inherited. He helped rehabilitate our relationship with the Philippines.

                            Some real failures and worries under his administration include sleeping as China's charm offensive occurs, particularly in Oceania. China is in the process of signing defensive pacts and securing the pretext for military bases and deployments. See the Solomon Islands. We've neglected this part of the world.
                            Africa is another region where Biden failed. Russia has instigated a string of coup de tats resulting in pushing out Western powers in resource rich and militarily key areas. China continues being China and using their money and influence to curry favor and gain power across the continent which is only going to become more important.

                            Of course Trump is worse. With him performative cutting off all aid to South Africa and than giving Afrikaners special refugee status. I'm still waiting to hear about the first planes to arrive with Afrikaners fleeing the country. I don't think you will see lots of takers because as problematic as the political situation is there; it's not like Somalia, or Sudan.

                            I think Biden should have given Ukraine weapons prior to the invasion even if that meant Putin would scream about being provoked. We should've armed them sooner and not hamstrung their response.

                            But no question Biden was better than Obama on Russia and Trump doesn't enter that equation at all because he advances Russian interests.


                            Comment

                            • frank ryan
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12385

                              #2939
                              Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                              Russian banks have been financial trump since the 80s when no one else would . Hmm

                              Guarantee there's lots of tapes
                              There is loads of solidly sourced journalism which predates him being a candidate about his connections to Russia. I'm up for disagreeing but crying "TDS," or "Russiagate," and having no interest discussing the actual concerns and retorting with eye rolls is lazy and unhelpful.

                              I think part of the problem is that our media diets are become increasing full of junk food media. That's not good for discourse, government, progress, debate etc.

                              Comment

                              • myboynoah
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 21719

                                #2940
                                Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                                I'm not yet convinced that Trump is a Russian asset, but I pretty much agree with the rest of this. If Russia is allowed to have the land they currently control, no ceasefire or peace deal will last. Putin, or whoever takes over after he dies, will rearm and then find a technicality that allows them to attack Ukraine again. It's only a matter of time before Russia takes the entire country regardless of what president is in office. Obama didn't do anything to stop it. Trump didn't do anything to stop it. Biden didn't do anything to stop it. Trump 2.0 won't do anything to stop it.
                                If it looks like duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, and is a fat pant load like a duck, it's a duck.

                                Codename Krasnov.

                                GkWRg4KWwAAWGmq.jpg
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                                For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                                Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                                Comment

                                Working...