No announcement yet.

2024 Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the desantis isn't dangerous people going to admit it now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
      Are the desantis isn't dangerous people going to admit it now?
      I’m not sure he’s dangerous, he’s just not very smart.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

This is what everyone said about Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Both can be true at the same time.

This seems like a really dumb position to take, but it fits his brand. Chickenshit populism. I hope it destroys him in the end.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• This just encapsulates the utter unseriousness of the modern Republican Party. The focus of fiscal undiscipline is on the spending towards Ukraine? A drop in the bucket compared to entitlements and the $5 trillion that was just dumped into the economy over the past couple of years (which Trump played a role in as well).

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post

This is what everyone said about Trump.
              I don’t disagree and it’s why I very likely wouldn’t vote for him. Desantis seemed fine at the beginning and I don’t mind the culture wars to an extent (the left loves them just as much as the right) but his positions are not in line with a conservative as I know them to be. I’d likely vote for Desantis over Bernie and Warren but not over a more moderate Dem like Biden.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Both can be true at the same time.

This seems like a really dumb position to take, but it fits his brand. Chickenshit populism. I hope it destroys him in the end.
                What can’t be ignored is that DeSantis chose to state his policy position to the Tucker Carlson show.

The collective conservative intelligentsia with exploding heads because they assured us that DeSantis was just a normal culture war Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post

What can’t be ignored is that DeSantis chose to state his policy position to the Tucker Carlson show.

The collective conservative intelligentsia with exploding heads because they assured us that DeSantis was just a normal culture war Republican.
                  Rupert Murdoch is the tail wagging the entire GOP. Next batter...
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Pretty much:

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                      I am not sure why the heads would be exploding. He is indeed a normal culture war Republican. Like most of the MAGA crowd, he is not against the war for any moral or ethical reasons. He is against the war because Biden has stepped up and (righteously) supported Ukraine. And in the simple culture war/populist calculus, anything supported by democrats is bad. Apparently, even if it means you end up supporting a genocidal autocrat like Putin.

Somewhere, Ronald Reagan is rolling in his grave.

Comment

I am not sure why the heads would be exploding. He is indeed a normal culture war Republican. Like most of the MAGA crowd, he is not against the war for any moral or ethical reasons. He is against the war because Biden has stepped up and (righteously) supported Ukraine. And in the simple culture war/populist calculus, anything supported by democrats is bad. Apparently, even if it means you end up supporting a genocidal autocrat like Putin.

Somewhere, Ronald Reagan is rolling in his grave.
                        Somewhere? Wouldn't that just be in his grave?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Somewhere? Wouldn't that just be in his grave?
                          I don't know where his grave is so I went with "somewhere".

Comment

I don't know where his grave is so I went with "somewhere".
                            https://goo.gl/maps/iTRmi5GpyQTyH2rz5

Comment

Pretty much:

That's an interesting essay that makes a lot of sense. From the essay:

A new CNN poll fins that 59 percent of Republicans care most that their candidate agrees with them on the issues; only 41 percent care most about beating Biden. DeSantis has absorbed that wish and is answering it. Last night, in his statement on Ukraine, DeSantis delivered another demonstration of this nomination-or-bust strategy.

Desantis will be a candidate of the Republican base, for the Republican base. Like Trump, he delights in displaying his lack of regard for everyone else. Trump, however, is driven by his psychopathologies and cannot emotionally cope with disagreement. DeSantis is a rational actor and is following what somebody has convinced him is a sound strategy. It looks like this:
                              1. Woo the Fox audience and win the Republican nomination.
                              2. ??
                              3. Become president.
                              As it notes, his new Ukraine position (he chided Obama for not sending weapons to Ukraine in response to Russia's invasion of Crimea) will likely appeal to much of the right wing and the Uncle Teds of the world (I understand they meet secretly on weekends). It will also energize Russia's IRA and bot farms, and perhaps China, to promote DeSantis. But it will leave a recently galvanized and expanded NATO wondering if DeSantis will be Trump Part Deux which pretty much no one in the West wants, and will terrify a lot of other countries with which Russia may have a "territorial dispute;" e.g., Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova... If the GOP wants to continue its self-immolation, then DeSantis it will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                Too soon

Comment

Working...
                                X