Biden/Harris: A Presidency for All Americans

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Commando
    Explosivo
    • Feb 2009
    • 20748

    #1681
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

    Not dementia!
    Thanks, Doc!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

    Comment

    • Uncle Ted
      The Big 12 money shot.
      • Apr 2010
      • 28853

      #1682
      Joe knows how it is to lose an house in a fire…



      OMG, he nearly lost his cat and his corvette (not to mention all those documents he likes to stored in the garage next to his corvette) in a small kitchen fire!
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69696

        #1683
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69696

          #1684
          Biden has a really dumb habit of trying to relate to people by sharing what he thinks is a similar experience. I get what he is trying to do, but far too often it makes him look clueless and out of touch.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37983

            #1685
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Biden has a really dumb habit of trying to relate to people by sharing what he thinks is a similar experience. I get what he is trying to do, but far too often it makes him look clueless and out of touch.
            Probably because he is out of touch. But most of the political class are out of touch with regular people. Some are just better than others at hiding it.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69696

              #1686
              Originally posted by falafel View Post

              Probably because he is out of touch. But most of the political class are out of touch with regular people. Some are just better than others at hiding it.
              I mean, comparing a small kitchen fire (who hasn't had one of those?) with the worst fire in the US for the past century? Unreal.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Maximus
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 6018

                #1687
                it is really dumb. step down joe.

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37983

                  #1688
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                  I mean, comparing a small kitchen fire (who hasn't had one of those?) with the worst fire in the US for the past century? Unreal.
                  Lol, yes It’s a really bad gaffe from a guy who has a history of bad gaffes.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Clark Addison
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10306

                    #1689
                    I give him a pass because of the dementia

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37983

                      #1690
                      Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                      I give him a pass because of the dementia


                      He really thought the house was a total loss. The sad thing is, he never actually had a corvette. :sad:
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69696

                        #1691
                        Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                        I give him a pass because of the dementia
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Maximus
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 6018

                          #1692
                          image0.jpg?width=735&height=1140.jpg

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69696

                            #1693
                            Biden is going to join the UAW picket line. First time in history a sitting US president has done such a thing in a labor dispute.

                            What an idiot. This reeks of desperation.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Applejack
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • 3813

                              #1694
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Biden is going to join the UAW picket line. First time in history a sitting US president has done such a thing in a labor dispute.

                              What an idiot. This reeks of desperation.
                              When an entire national election hinges on the way Michigan votes, it makes a lot of sense.

                              Comment

                              • Color Me Badd Fan
                                Senior Member
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 12519

                                #1695
                                I'm not sure if any of this is actually making it to the national news, but what's happening in the bond market right now is cause for considerable concern. It's getting absolutely murdered. There's this famous James Carville quote about wanting to be reincarnated as the bond market because then he could finally intimidate everybody. This started last year with the short term bonds, then the 10 year started getting scary last fall. There was that British pension almost-disaster that occurred around that time. The 10 year started to get bid mysteriously around that point -- the speculation is that central banks loosened things up at least temporarily to get past the British pension mess.

                                The yield curve has been inverted for well over a year and it was severely inverted most of this year until recently. It was inverted everywhere along the curve, back in May the 30 yr vs 1 month was inverted by almost 200 bp, which is totally crazy. The yield curve is not a sign that a recession is happening -- but it almost always portends a recession is coming. When the curve starts returning to normal, i.e. the long bonds first start moving towards parity with the short term bills/bonds and then start claiming higher yields, is when things start hitting the fan. That's what seems to be occurring right now. The 10 yr and 30 yr are both up 60 bp over the last two weeks. We saw something similar last October and into early November.

                                Along with the speculation regarding the central banks' response to the British pension crisis, one thing we do know is Janet Yellen drained the Treasury General Account significantly earlier this year -- this may have actually started towards the end of last year, I don't remember. But the point is, Yellen delayed the inevitable with this action and probably made things worse. She injected liquidity into the markets/economy right when the Fed was trying to get inflation under control and also suppressed the amount of treasuries being sold which lowered bond rates temporarily. The idiotic stock market went bananas in the Spring and Summer and has since started dropping.

                                What's interesting are the similarities in the Nasdaq between the dotcom boom and bust along with the Covid easy money boom and [potential] bust. The Nasdaq lost 37% of its value in two and half months in the Spring of 2000. It then proceeded to gain back 60% of that loss over the next three months. In 2022, the Nasdaq lost 36% of its value. Over the first 6 and a half months of this year, it gained back 70% of what it lost from the peak. It has since lost over 30% of the loss it had reclaimed by mid July.

                                Perhaps it shouldn't be that interesting given the fact that the S&P returns during the six month period between the second October and third April of every presidential term (1st or 2nd), on average, absolutely dwarfs the other 42 months. This is from 1928 through 2022 at least, but it certainly held between October 2022 and April 2023. This is absolutely astounding. Basically, over the past 90+ years it made much more sense to buy bonds during the first two years of any presidential term. This absolutely coincided with Yellen's draining of the TGA and injection of liquidity into the economy. This chart includes 1928 through 2012. It doesn't tell the full story because it breaks it down by years, but look at the graph between around October of year 2 and April/May of year 3, it averages almost a 20% return. It also lacks three different terms, but 2014-2015 (around 20%), 2018-2019(around 11%) and 2022-2023 (around 18%)

                                saupload_Weakest-part-of-Presidential-Cycle_thumb1.png
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                                Comment

                                Working...