The Golf Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37975

    #481
    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    So next year can we get Fawesome's firm to pay for us to play some top tier course, instead of an inexpensive very good burger?
    As HFN will gladly testify, my firm does not pay for golf.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • Art Vandelay
      Striving for mediocrity
      • Jul 2009
      • 10516

      #482
      Originally posted by falafel View Post
      As HFN will gladly testify, my firm does not pay for golf.
      Actually if you or DH can get me the local hook-up, green fees for the group are on me...though I still expect you to pay for a drinks (donut is obviously so darn cute, I doubt the drink cart girls ever make him pay).

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37975

        #483
        Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        Actually if you or DH can get me the local hook-up, green fees for the group are on me...though I still expect you to pay for a drinks (donut is obviously so darn cute, I doubt the drink cart girls ever make him pay cheap, I heard he brings his own soda in a can).
        Sounds like a deal.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Donuthole
          Official Outgayer
          • Nov 2008
          • 25266

          #484
          Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Sounds like a deal.
          Don't be J. I bring it in bottles sometimes, too.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

          Comment

          • The_Tick
            Made something of myself
            • Nov 2008
            • 7291

            #485
            My last round.... bleh. 42 putts. Seriously.

            Comment

            • clackamascoug
              Banned
              • Dec 2009
              • 9709

              #486
              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              At the suggestion of my wife I have decided to become semi-serious about golf again. 4 years ago I was a single digit handicap, then between kids and church I started going out only 4-5 times a year and became a bogey duffer. Today I went and hit several different irons. I figured I would like either the Pings or Titleist since I have played both in the past, but was surprised how well I was hitting the new Cleveland CG7 Irons. I have always loved Cleveland wedges but have no other experience with their clubs. Has anyone here tried them before?

              Those are dang good looking irons. I've seen the zip groves on the wedges, but not on the set. Should be nice.

              What is the stock shaft. The current trend is lighter overall weight for higher club head speed. Last year I put Grafalloy Pro Launch Blues +1" in my TaylorMade R7's, and am very pleased with the result. Sometimes an upgrade in shafts can make a huge difference.

              Are you looking for woods too? I'm looking for a new driver/3 wood combo for this year. I'm leaning towards the R9, but my son is steering me towards the Ping G15.

              Comment

              • Donuthole
                Official Outgayer
                • Nov 2008
                • 25266

                #487
                Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                Those are dang good looking irons. I've seen the zip groves on the wedges, but not on the set. Should be nice.

                What is the stock shaft. The current trend is lighter overall weight for higher club head speed. Last year I put Grafalloy Pro Launch Blues +1" in my TaylorMade R7's, and am very pleased with the result. Sometimes an upgrade in shafts can make a huge difference.

                Are you looking for woods too? I'm looking for a new driver/3 wood combo for this year. I'm leaning towards the R9, but my son is steering me towards the Ping G15.
                While Ping has definitely made up a lot of ground on TaylorMade in the driver department (let's face it--when TaylorMade released the first R7 back in 2005 they had everyone in the rear-view mirror) I still love the versatility of the R9. I love that it comes in an 8.5 loft, and then I can lower that down as far as 7.5 with the adjustable shaft, while weighting it towards a draw to counterbalance the slightly open face angle at 7.5 degrees.

                I really, really wanted to buy it last year, but I knew it would be much cheaper if I waited until this season. Because the model is now a year old, you can pick one up new on ebay for as low as $229, and used for under $150. I'm hoping to land one here within the next month or so.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                Comment

                • clackamascoug
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 9709

                  #488
                  Art, You might look at these beauties, with the Motore Shafts.

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2010-TaylorM...ht_1751wt_1165

                  Comment

                  • Donuthole
                    Official Outgayer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 25266

                    #489
                    Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    Art, You might look at these beauties, with the Motore Shafts.

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2010-TaylorM...ht_1751wt_1165
                    Wow, that's a great deal, if the price stays even close to that low.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                    Comment

                    • byu71
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22070

                      #490
                      Fellow golfers, PRAY FOR ME! I thought my round with donuthole was a fluke. It has become the norm. Our group handicap system moves much faster. It is based on the recent 10 scores, not 20. Yesterday, I shot another 88 and now have ascended to a 15 handicap. I am going through depression and for the first time in my life, find myself being a "cranky" person.

                      The hope is, when things warm up, my body loosens up and I seem to play better, but maybe, just maybe my best days are in the rearview mirror.:swear:

                      Comment

                      • Drunk Tank
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 2569

                        #491
                        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        Fellow golfers, PRAY FOR ME! I thought my round with donuthole was a fluke. It has become the norm. Our group handicap system moves much faster. It is based on the recent 10 scores, not 20. Yesterday, I shot another 88 and now have ascended to a 15 handicap. I am going through depression and for the first time in my life, find myself being a "cranky" person.

                        The hope is, when things warm up, my body loosens up and I seem to play better, but maybe, just maybe my best days are in the rearview mirror.:swear:

                        I am a cranky person always on the course. All it takes is one bad hole, and I'm toast. It does provide great entertainment for those golfing with me. My handicap has risen from an 18 to 20.8 and its still climbing.

                        I'll post my last round later tonight. It wasnt good. I had a chipping lesson before the round and did great. During the round, every chip came screaming off the club and shot right. I shot a 110, but only had 32 putts. Worst chipping day ever. The day before I shot a 95 on the same course and had 35 putts.
                        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                        Comment

                        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                          Time to camp
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26082

                          #492
                          Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                          I am a cranky person always on the course. All it takes is one bad hole, and I'm toast. It does provide great entertainment for those golfing with me. My handicap has risen from an 18 to 20.8 and its still climbing.
                          This used to be me on the golf course too. In fact it is one of the reasons I play with pink balls. When I feel myself starting to get upset I look down at my ball and it gives me a mental break. I am able slow down and ask myself what I am getting so upset about, that I should be having a good time or quit. For me it has been a really good mental trick.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #493
                            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            This used to be me on the golf course too. In fact it is one of the reasons I play with pink balls. When I feel myself starting to get upset I look down at my ball and it gives me a mental break. I am able slow down and ask myself what I am getting so upset about, that I should be having a good time or quit. For me it has been a really good mental trick.
                            It is good to have one of those mental tricks. I usually scream the F-word (fart) as loud as I can. It seems to zap the tension I am feeling and I calm down and swing slower.

                            Comment

                            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                              Time to camp
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26082

                              #494
                              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              It is good to have one of those mental tricks. I usually scream the F-word (fart) as loud as I can. It seems to zap the tension I am feeling and I calm down and swing slower.
                              LOL.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

                              Comment

                              • clackamascoug
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2009
                                • 9709

                                #495
                                I recently played in a mens club event and played great. (78-8 handicap) One of the guys I played with is a +1 and shot a 68. This plus one guy kept complimenting my game, and after the round asked if I'd be interested in playing a Monday Pro Am event at Tualatin Country Club. The Monday Pro Ams are big deals, so I said sure, and showed up even though it was on the verge of raining and cold.

                                Worst day in years. I birdied the 1 handicap hole for a net eagle, and then the wheels came off. It was like I was wearing mittens, and couldn't feel the clubs. I guess it wasn't so bad as everyone shot 10 shots higher than they should have, but playing with a club pro and a plus 1, I wanted a better showing. Anyway, posted a 41-49 and was embarrassed more than the score shows.

                                I gave the offending driver and 3 woods to my son, and am now looking for new ones.

                                Comment

                                Working...