The Golf Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The_Tick
    Made something of myself
    • Nov 2008
    • 7295

    #511
    There was a Cleveland demo day at the course today and I hit the CG7's. They hit really really nice.

    The Cleveland guy had me use impact tape and an impact board. It would appear that one of the reasons that I pull all of my iron shots to the left is because I should be using +3 degree upright irons.

    He recommended I sell my Nike's and get fitted.

    Man...

    Comment

    • Art Vandelay
      Striving for mediocrity
      • Jul 2009
      • 10516

      #512
      I figured I would replace my TM R7 with one of the new R9 variants, but everytime I would hit it I couldn't tell any difference versus my current club. Then I tried the Callaway Diablo...Oh my. It was similar to when I first tried a Cuban sandwich from Paseo (huge props to Gracie for the recommendation). I was blown away by how good it felt and how the ball seemed to jump off the club. I have always hit a low ball and lose a lot of distance on soft or wet courses. I was hitting the 9 degree Diablo higher, and straighter, than any other driver I have ever tried. I will go back one more time just to make sure it wasn't an anomoly, but I think I may be going back to Callaway for the first time since the original Big Bertha came out.
      Last edited by Art Vandelay; 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM.

      Comment

      • old_gregg
        scaly man fish
        • Nov 2009
        • 16915

        #513
        Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
        The Cleveland guy...
        Originally posted by The_Tick
        recommended I sell my Nike's and get fitted.

        Man...
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

        Comment

        • cougjunkie
          *Banned*
          • Nov 2008
          • 23223

          #514
          Shot a 41 on the front 9 at Talons Cove on Tuesday in about 40mph winds. The back 9 it got even windier and colder so we got a raincheck. But I was pretty happy since I am not sure I even broke 100 playing in a 2 man best ball tournament on Saturday at spanish oaks. Good thing is I had a solid partner and we finished tied for 3rd.
          *Banned*

          Comment

          • The_Tick
            Made something of myself
            • Nov 2008
            • 7295

            #515


            3rd consecutive round in the 90's. Getting better.

            We were playing into a 20 mph wind. Hole 6 is 113 to the center. Normally a PW or Gap. Today...7 iron. And I was just off of the front of the green.

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #516
              Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
              http://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/score.php?id=1052883

              3rd consecutive round in the 90's. Getting better.

              We were playing into a 20 mph wind. Hole 6 is 113 to the center. Normally a PW or Gap. Today...7 iron. And I was just off of the front of the green.
              You are putting well, we just need to get you a little more distance off the tee so you are hitting lofted clubs into those greens. How are your short wedges (<50 yards)? That is usually one of the strong parts of my game, but lately I have been horrible and am losing a lot of strokes right next to the green. I'm sure you will be shooting in the 80s consistently before too long. Good job

              Comment

              • byu71
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22070

                #517
                I am back. Shot a 77 today. Sure I had to make two putts of over 50 feet and chip one in, but I am back.

                I am off to Priesthood meeting to celibrate.

                Comment

                • cougjunkie
                  *Banned*
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 23223

                  #518
                  Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  I am back. Shot a 77 today. Sure I had to make two putts of over 50 feet and chip one in, but I am back.

                  I am off to Priesthood meeting to celibrate.
                  I had a 10 foot putt for Eagle today I rolled it past by about 3 feet and missed a little 3 footer coming back. From Eagle to par that quick.

                  I also had two putts both about 50 feet lip out.
                  *Banned*

                  Comment

                  • The_Tick
                    Made something of myself
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7295

                    #519
                    Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    You are putting well, we just need to get you a little more distance off the tee so you are hitting lofted clubs into those greens. How are your short wedges (<50 yards)? That is usually one of the strong parts of my game, but lately I have been horrible and am losing a lot of strokes right next to the green. I'm sure you will be shooting in the 80s consistently before too long. Good job
                    Pretty good from about 75 in.

                    Distance today was bad. Wind was killing it. But I recently went from a 180 average to a 200-210 average on driving distance. Getting some work in on it.

                    May need to be fitted for a driver to be honest.

                    Comment

                    • Surfah
                      Where's Wallace?
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 33726

                      #520
                      I'm about to play my first round of golf since Thanksgiving. That was a long winter. FN Phat is in town and all I care is to beat him. Even if that means I shoot a 115 to his 116. If I don't I'll be sad since he'll be borrowing clubs and doesn't have spikes.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • Drunk Tank
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 2569

                        #521
                        I haven't been posting my scores for a while, but after the ribbing from The Tick, here they are.

                        http://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scores.php?id=105312 You can click on the scores to see a breakdown and stats.

                        Since I last posted, my scores have been 98, 103, 100, 95, 110, 97 and a 102 last week in a wind storm. I am nothing but inconsistent. I am very frustrated with my game right now, and mentally, one bad hole just zaps my will to care.

                        I finished the series of lessons started in January, but I feel I have more holes in my game than ever before. My putting is worse, chipping is worse, and my driving accuracy is crap, greens in regulation are almost non-existent. My irons mid-irons have been ok and my driving distance is good (usually...last week is the exception, but the wind was blowing 25-30 mph in our face many holes. I did squeak out a 302 yard drive though )

                        I am not having any fun on the course right now. I have been stuck in a funk in my personal life for the last few months and I think it is carrying over into my game.

                        Friday I am going to a Bridgestone golf ball fitting at one of the local courses, and then getting in another 18. Hopefully I can put it all together and post a descent score.
                        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #522
                          DT, the key to shooting lower scores is all about the game around the green. Spend most of your time working on chipping and putting. I would even suggest to cut back on your rounds for a bit and spend more time at a practice green. Get a large bucket of balls, set up just off one side of the green, pick one hole and chip every ball in that direction then putt all the balls into that one hole. Gather up the balls and set up just off another side of the green, pick one hole and chip and putt. Do this until you're sick of it then do it one more time. Then go hit the bucket at the range.

                          It might irritate some folks around the green as you do this, but use your size advantage to scare them.

                          Just kidding.

                          Some folks might be irritated, but that's okay. It's their problem. You paid for the bucket of balls and I don't know of any public courses that have a time limit for working on your short game.

                          If you do this even just 3 or 4 times rather than playing a round those 3 or 4 times, it will help lower your score.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • clackamascoug
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 9709

                            #523
                            81 - 38 putts
                            Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-07-2010, 11:06 PM.

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #524
                              Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                              81 - 38 putts


                              I think that was a self fulfilling prophecy I posted above. Shot 105. But finished with quad-triple. Plus I was putting for birdie 3 other times and 3 putted.

                              First time out in 6 months though and I hit some good shots. Just had a rough start and worse finish.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • byu71
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22070

                                #525
                                Originally posted by Surfah View Post


                                Plus I was putting for birdie 3 other times and 3 putted.
                                If you had 3 putts at birdie in one round that shows you have POTENTIAL. If you played more you would probably be more consistent and be in the high eighties in no time.
                                Last edited by Surfah; 04-08-2010, 07:08 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...