The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 + 43=91

Played at Royal Links this morning. It's a links style course comprised of a bunch of famous British Open holes. I want blame my double double triple start on the soggy wet conditions at 6am, but it was really an OB 6 iron and a couple really poor wedge shots. After that I settled down.

I actually putted out of my mind, with 30 total putts, including 8 one putts. I credit the greens, which were in absolutely perfect condition Still, it's frustrating that my game seems consistently about 8-10 strokes behind where it was 2 years ago.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• DrunkTank and I played in our monthly men's club event today. Format was a Chapman best ball. I dug the format and it fit our games well.

I am an 18 and DT is a 21. This event is played from the blues, so I was a 21 and he a 23, so a 22 for our team.

We played well for our game. We went 84 gross, 62 net. We tied for 2nd net, but won in a card off as we went net 29 on the back.

Frustrating part...#1 net was a 61. We were 2" short on two birdie putts, lipped 2, and I lipped a birdie chip from 20. Could have been really good

We both walked away with $100 script to the course.

Win win.

Comment

• I think the Lord punished me for playing golf on Sunday. 42-53=95.

6 bogeys and 3 pars on the front. Double, double to start the back. Then 2 pars. I was feeling good at that point. Bombed my tee shot on a par 5, 14th leaving me about 215 to the green. Amped at the idea of maybe an eagle try I badly topped the ball, put the 3rd shot in a green side bunker. Saved bogey. Relieved I saved bogey, I went to 15 thinking bogey home and you break 90.

Hooked the tee shot on 15 and the ball bounced off a tree back into the first cut of rough. I thought karma was on my side. Miss hit a ball into a fairway bunker, barely got out, it all went to crap. An 8 on 15. It never recovered.

67 through 14, 28 for the last 4. I'm still near tears. This should have been the round of my life. The positive take away is I'm dialed in with my driver and I'm putting well.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          48 + 43=91

Played at Royal Links this morning. It's a links style course comprised of a bunch of famous British Open holes. I want blame my double double triple start on the soggy wet conditions at 6am, but it was really an OB 6 iron and a couple really poor wedge shots. After that I settled down.

I actually putted out of my mind, with 30 total putts, including 8 one putts. I credit the greens, which were in absolutely perfect condition Still, it's frustrating that my game seems consistently about 8-10 strokes behind where it was 2 years ago.
          I have played that course and it was pretty fun.

Friday and Saturday I put back to back 95's. That wasn't so fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            I think the Lord punished me for playing golf on Sunday. 42-53=95.

6 bogeys and 3 pars on the front. Double, double to start the back. Then 2 pars. I was feeling good at that point. Bombed my tee shot on a par 5, 14th leaving me about 215 to the green. Amped at the idea of maybe an eagle try I badly topped the ball, put the 3rd shot in a green side bunker. Saved bogey. Relieved I saved bogey, I went to 15 thinking bogey home and you break 90.

Hooked the tee shot on 15 and the ball bounced off a tree back into the first cut of rough. I thought karma was on my side. Miss hit a ball into a fairway bunker, barely got out, it all went to crap. An 8 on 15. It never recovered.

67 through 14, 28 for the last 4. I'm still near tears. This should have been the round of my life. The positive take away is I'm dialed in with my driver and I'm putting well.

What course, HFN?

Comment

• US Open - CUF Game Results

Order of Merit (Winner = Donut Hole) (Runner Up BYU71) (Third Wheel HFNW.)

DH was by far the best picker in the game, and could have won it with any of his combinations. Fans of Phil may have learned a lesson for the The Open coming up next month. I've got a Bark-O-Lounger that doesn't collapse as easily as Tiger. Dufner should have won the whole thing if we would have putted halfway decently. Beau Hossler made it fun to watch, but even he didn't get the low am title.

I think it was an ugly Open. I've never been a fan of The Olympic Club the last two times I've seen it there, and this time confirmed my last impressions. The holes are too similar, always a side hill lie, the track is not set up for drama. It was one of the most anti-climatic endings I've ever seen in a major, and it was because of the course. Webb Simpson earned it though, with great putting, and solid play.

Clack - Total = +30
              Phil - +16
              Luke - cut
              Fowler - +11
              Dufner - +3
              Dustin J - cut

Falafel - Failed to get 3 into Sunday.
              Bubba - cut
              Kuchar - +8
              Dustin J - cut
              Rory - cut
              Tiger - +7

Drunk Tank - +29
              Phil - +16
              Tiger - +7
              Stricker - +6
              Rory - cut
              Dustin J. - cut

Santos - +26
              Tiger - +7
              Phil - +16
              Luke - cut
              Rory - cut
              Dufner - +3

BYU71 - +19
              Zach J. - +11
              Dufner - +3
              Westwood - +5
              Luke - cut
              71 - cut

Donut Hole - +16
              Dufner - +3
              Rose - +7
              Kuchar - +8
              A Scott - +6
              Mahan - +10

HFNW - +22
              Bubba - cut
              Westwood - +5
              CHIII - cut
              Stricker - +6
              Fowler - +11
              Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-18-2012, 09:25 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Just to set the record straight, I never claimed Pro V1s were the be all end all of golf balls (personally, I think that spot is held by the Taylormade Penta).
                Speaking of the Penta, I noticed Furyk was golfing with a Callaway ball, despite the fact that he was pimping the Penta just last year. Also, I noticed he was hitting a Callaway razr driver, callaway irons, but he was wearing Adidas (Taylormade) shoes and one of his hybrids was an r11. That's a real mixed bag.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Speaking of the Penta, I noticed Furyk was golfing with a Callaway ball, despite the fact that he was pimping the Penta just last year. Also, I noticed he was hitting a Callaway razr driver, callaway irons, but he was wearing Adidas (Taylormade) shoes and one of his hybrids was an r11. That's a real mixed bag.
                  I noticed that too. I also noticed that he had some of the worst apparel on tour. The dude looked like a wreck with that black compression shirt under his blue "golf" shirt and black vesty thing. Not to mention his 5 Hour Energy hat looks like a freebie you get at a trade show.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

Falafel - Failed to get 3 into Sunday.
                    Bubba - cut
                    Kuchar - +8
                    Dustin J - cut
                    Rory - cut
                    Tiger - +7
                    Ouch.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

He probably paid retail for the equipment too. I hear he's such a jack-o-lope that sponsors avoid him, and he has to plan B it with the likes of 5 Hour Energy.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        He probably paid retail for the equipment too. I hear he's such a jack-o-lope that sponsors avoid him, and he has to plan B it with the likes of 5 Hour Energy.
                        He had a lot of random sponsors too. The dude looked like State Street in Orem with all the signage he was wearing.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                          What course, HFN?
                          Lake Buena Vista at Saratoga Springs. The nicer one, I think it is called Magnilia, is closed for the week.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

• The FiL and I were the first 2 off this morning at 6:45, played in 2:40.

47-48-95. I left a few out there, but again drove the ball really well all day. I'm about ready to feel like I'm a 90s golfer (last 9 rounds posted to GHIN are between 93-99), something that seemed impossible only a few months ago.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

• My first foray into The Golf Thread.

I am not an avid golfer. Sure, I enjoy it OK. But just have other things to spend time/money on, so I don't do much. Like maybe once a year with friends who golf about as much as I do.

I've been invited to participate as a guest in a tourney this weekend and would love any sound advice that can be offered in two areas:

1st - anything I should know etiquette-wise to keep from embarrassing myself?

2nd - if there is one thing to keep in mind to have any hope of hitting the ball OK now and then, what would it be?

I'm afraid this will be much too little much too late, but it's worth a shot, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                The FiL and I were the first 2 off this morning at 6:45, played in 2:40.

47-48-95. I left a few out there, but again drove the ball really well all day. I'm about ready to feel like I'm a 90s golfer (last 9 rounds posted to GHIN are between 93-99), something that seemed impossible only a few months ago.

Same course?

Comment

Working...
                                X