Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Cmon...it was a LITTLE funny.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

[YOUTUBE]nGojEyYBmwc[/YOUTUBE]
      LA Ute sighting in there, complete with 80s mustache.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        They missed the guy wearing VFFs.
        Yeah, it's kind of a funny shuffle they do, which is weird because I run in VFFs pretty normally.

In fact, in most races I smoke VFF runners. I've never seen them run fast. Soup is fast, though, so I'm sure it can be done.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          Cmon...it was a LITTLE funny.
          It was, especially in light of current events.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            Yeah, it's kind of a funny shuffle they do, which is weird because I run in VFFs pretty normally.

In fact, in most races I smoke VFF runners. I've never seen them run fast. Soup is fast, though, so I'm sure it can be done.
            Had my first run and all seemed normal. I only went .72 miles but did it in under 8 min/mile. If I slow down then I kind of stride funny but otherwise it felt pretty normal.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Had my first run and all seemed normal. I only went .72 miles but did it in under 8 min/mile. If I slow down then I kind of stride funny but otherwise it felt pretty normal.
              Actually, this is true for me in any shoe. The slower I go the harder it is to keep form. It's hard when I run faster too, but that's a fatigue issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                They missed the guy wearing VFFs.
                Originally posted by nikuman View Post

I thought it was amusing. The other night during my walk in the snow, someone ahead of me was wearing them. I must have followed his/her tracks for 3 miles. I didn't seem him but the tracks were pretty fresh and couldn't have been more than 5/10 minutes before I came along

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• This weekend I attempt to break my oldest PR. There's a local 5k that we do every year. I usually run it with my daughter at a leisurely pace, but this year I'm trying to beat my time. This PR is actually from in 2009 - my first ever race after I lost all that weight. Had a great day that day and ran a 21:40.

I think I'm a good deal faster now. In training runs I've done a 5k in under 21:00 (last summer) but that's not official. My speed workouts have been going well and I don't see any reason why I can't beat my time, probably go sub 21:00. I did mile repeats at 6:21, 6:30 and 6:38 the other day. And I think I could run a sub 6:00 mile on a good day if I really tried. But I'm a bit nervous - running for 20 minutes or so above my lactate threshold is no easy trick.

Comment

This weekend I attempt to break my oldest PR. There's a local 5k that we do every year. I usually run it with my daughter at a leisurely pace, but this year I'm trying to beat my time. This PR is actually from in 2009 - my first ever race after I lost all that weight. Had a great day that day and ran a 21:40.

I think I'm a good deal faster now. In training runs I've done a 5k in under 21:00 (last summer) but that's not official. My speed workouts have been going well and I don't see any reason why I can't beat my time, probably go sub 21:00. I did mile repeats at 6:21, 6:30 and 6:38 the other day. And I think I could run a sub 6:00 mile on a good day if I really tried. But I'm a bit nervous - running for 20 minutes or so above my lactate threshold is no easy trick.

This post might have depressed me a bit, given that I'm quite a bit slower, but the Runner's World age-graded calculator has given me hope, even if it's a bit like using the red tees. I ran a 5K last week at about 90% total effort, and clocked a leisurely (by the standards of most here) 26:31. But that's an age-adjusted 21:30, so I feel much better about myself, thank you. You'll get a more modest boost, of course, but a sub-20 is probably within your reach.

And I'm a very slow learner, but I've finally grasped the importance of long slow runs. Lately, I've been doing 6- or 7-mile runs at a 10:30 pace. I used to think such efforts were training me to be slow (stupid, I know, but so it seemed). But they've had a positive effect on my faster, shorter runs, and I feel great after they're over.

Cycling is still more fun, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      This post might have depressed me a bit, given that I'm quite a bit slower, but the Runner's World age-graded calculator has given me hope, even if it's a bit like using the red tees. I ran a 5K last week at about 90% total effort, and clocked a leisurely (by the standards of most here) 26:31. But that's an age-adjusted 21:30, so I feel much better about myself, thank you. You'll get a more modest boost, of course, but a sub-20 is probably within your reach.

And I'm a very slow learner, but I've finally grasped the importance of long slow runs. Lately, I've been doing 6- or 7-mile runs at a 10:30 pace. I used to think such efforts were training me to be slow (stupid, I know, but so it seemed). But they've had a positive effect on my faster, shorter runs, and I feel great after they're over.

Cycling is still more fun, however.
                      Heh. I was going to say the same thing about running. Cycling is a great friend, but running is my mistress.

Comment

• Nik, if you did mile repeats at that pace, then you will kill your PR. Good luck. And PAC that's awesome...no justification needed.

Comment

Did 0.75 miles today. I was still sore from Saturday's run (I did run on Monday in my Frees). My calf muscles and around the achilles are where it hurts the most. Not a bad hurt, but more of just a general soreness that goes away after I walk around for a bit.

I do love running in the VFFs but I can see why it will take a bit to work up to any sort of meaningful distance. In addition to the soreness, I also noticed that the balls of my feet can get a bit beat up. I assume they will get tougher as I go along.

Comment

I am a fan of the Nathan stuff too, although I have a FuelBelt I like quite a bit too.
                            I have a FuelBelt (four bottles; maybe four or five years old). Are the Nathan belts much different?
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Okay, running form and injury experts, here's one for you:
                              Does a mild-moderate overpronator like myself who switches to a midfoot strike and less shoe still risk injury from the over-pronation? Or does the different plant, shock absorption by lower leg muscles, and lack of a heel strike effectively reduce subtalar joint pronation to the point where it is no longer as much of a concern?

I seem to have a case of MTSS that just won't go away, regardless of rest, shoe type, surface type, footstrike, stretching, icing, PT exercises, etc. Right now it's not bad, but I know as I ramp up mileage/intensity that unless I figure it out it will just get worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                                Okay, running form and injury experts, here's one for you:
                                Does a mild-moderate overpronator like myself who switches to a midfoot strike and less shoe still risk injury from the over-pronation? Or does the different plant, shock absorption by lower leg muscles, and lack of a heel strike effectively reduce subtalar joint pronation to the point where it is no longer as much of a concern?

I seem to have a case of MTSS that just won't go away, regardless of rest, shoe type, surface type, footstrike, stretching, icing, PT exercises, etc. Right now it's not bad, but I know as I ramp up mileage/intensity that unless I figure it out it will just get worse.
                                I am also a mild pronator, and I also had some MTSS last year when I was switching. I don't know why. However, when I visited with my kinesiologist, she told me that pronation is only a very small part of the story. In my case, I have bowed calf bones so my probation is the trade off I have for no ITBS.

I have had no problems with either now that I am adjusted. The less shoe I have, the better I do now that I am adjusted. I don't know what any of this means for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X