The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    As a guy who is just starting to run again, I couldn't disagree more with the bolded, but it's good to hear you feel that way even being a more experienced geezer than I am. The advice to take it slow and be patient is sound advice that I will need to keep coming back to as I tend to be ridiculously impatient when it comes to my exercise.
    Yeah, I actually agree that it's hard, but it can be made a lot easier than it seems at first. In olden times, I went all out, thinking that it was all about speed and lower times. I no longer feel that way. Now, when I head out for a long run, I put on the headphones (something I never did before), listen to some good tunes and go slow, enjoying the outdoors. I still prefer cycling, but the pleasure I derive from running is now substantially more than the simple relief that comes from stopping.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      As a guy who is just starting to run again, I couldn't disagree more with the bolded, but it's good to hear you feel that way even being a more experienced geezer than I am. The advice to take it slow and be patient is sound advice that I will need to keep coming back to as I tend to be ridiculously impatient when it comes to my exercise.
      When I talk to beginning runners I tell them that if they will keep at it and increase their mileage and pace at a very gradual rate, it will eventually stop hurting. Then it will eventually become easy. I never promise it will eventually become fun or that it will eventually be something you love doing ... but it might. It did for me.

Comment

• This is just something I've noticed as I've wandered around Kaysville/Layton this spring. There seem to be more women than men out running. Granted I don't see a whole lot of other people - 4 or 5 a day maybe, I thought it probably has more to do with the time I'm out wandering (afternoons between 4-6 sometimes as late as 7), but even when I go out on Saturday mornings the ratio seems to be about the same (3:2)

On the other hand the vast majority of bikers seem to be men, esp those in Biking gear (4:1 or better).

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Got the all clear to start running again. Probably limited to about 15 miles a week for now, but I should be able to build up from here without much trouble. I'll go out for 3.5-4 miles tonight.

My podiatrist was super high on barefoot running - although he was clear you need to ease into it. Gave me a bunch of resources, some of which I already had, but pretty much prescribed it to help strengthen the tendon.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            Got the all clear to start running again. Probably limited to about 15 miles a week for now, but I should be able to build up from here without much trouble. I'll go out for 3.5-4 miles tonight.

My podiatrist was super high on barefoot running - although he was clear you need to ease into it. Gave me a bunch of resources, some of which I already had, but pretty much prescribed it to help strengthen the tendon.
            I'm converted to minimalist running. I did 3.75 miles this morning and my legs feel great. I had some scares along the way as my muscles and tendons woudl ache a bit and I couldn't tell if it was the bone or not but the pain seemed to move a bit and was different than the aches I'd get from stress fractures. In a sense, I'm hoping that minimalist running has somewhat cured my bone issues.

I'm also faster in my VFFs and Frees than I am in regular running shoes. This morning I ran the first 3 miles in under 25 minutes, which is impossible for me to reach with normal running shoes.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I did 4 miles today and I paced myself based on my heartrate. I wanted to keep my HR below 160 the entire time, which I failed to do, but at least I had an average HR of 160 over teh whole stretch. My pace was 9:12, which I think will be close to my marathon pace as I want to get under 4 hours.

In any case, I learned this morning that I need to do some more work to be able to keep my HR down over long stretches. Keeping it under 160 for 4 miles is tough and I'm afraid if I spend too much time over 165 I won't be able to finish the run. I guess this is where all the long miles and training pays off.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                I did 4 miles today and I paced myself based on my heartrate. I wanted to keep my HR below 160 the entire time, which I failed to do, but at least I had an average HR of 160 over teh whole stretch. My pace was 9:12, which I think will be close to my marathon pace as I want to get under 4 hours.

In any case, I learned this morning that I need to do some more work to be able to keep my HR down over long stretches. Keeping it under 160 for 4 miles is tough and I'm afraid if I spend too much time over 165 I won't be able to finish the run. I guess this is where all the long miles and training pays off.
                I wouldn't worry about your HR independent of your lactate threshhold. My HR is lower than average for running - 180 is my max right now, I bet - and my lactate threshhold is like 168 or so. Low. But I can run for longer above that than a lot of people when i am trained up and I average 155 over the course of a marathon. Go figure.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                  I wouldn't worry about your HR independent of your lactate threshhold. My HR is lower than average for running - 180 is my max right now, I bet - and my lactate threshhold is like 168 or so. Low. But I can run for longer above that than a lot of people when i am trained up and I average 155 over the course of a marathon. Go figure.
                  How do you know your lactate threshold?

After my 4 miler this morning I was barely breathing hard, which is a good sign I guess.

Comment

• What is now many years ago I was running a lot, I even finished 2 marathons, however like many things I stopped for reasons or excuses I forget now.

I have tried a few times to get back into it and then drop off again. I enjoy running as a chance to totally clear my mind and get peace, also helps me not to be a fat ass which I struggle with.

I decided that I am going to hit 90 miles in June or the punishment is I'm donating $100 to the University of Washington. I'm just focusing on getting out and doing it, at my best I was still slower than probably everyone else in this thread so I have no high hopes

This morning 3.25 miles, 35:40. 86.75 to snub the Huskies!
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      What is now many years ago I was running a lot, I even finished 2 marathons, however like many things I stopped for reasons or excuses I forget now.

I have tried a few times to get back into it and then drop off again. I enjoy running as a chance to totally clear my mind and get peace, also helps me not to be a fat ass which I struggle with.

I decided that I am going to hit 90 miles in June or the punishment is I'm donating $100 to the University of Washington. I'm just focusing on getting out and doing it, at my best I was still slower than probably everyone else in this thread so I have no high hopes

This morning 3.25 miles, 35:40. 86.75 to snub the Huskies!
                      Good for you, HFN, and good luck.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Nice job, HFN. I think running is about the healthy habit anyone can pick up, no matter the speed.

On another note, I just picked up another pair of Kinvara 2's (blue/citron) for $61 on amazon. Almost all of the models are on sale with the Kinvara 3's out now. Except for my super cool yellow/green ones (which HFN would be all over).
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• 4.20 miles, 50:39 (this post should probably go in the walking but moving your arms so people that pass you think you are running thread.) 82.55 miles from taking money out of the Husky Stadium remodel fund.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

• As a husky alum, I thank you in advance for your consideration of supporting such a noble institution of higher learning. Also good luck on the running challenge.

Comment

• 5.00 miles, 55:40, I hit end on my phone the second she said 5 miles. I was gased. 77.55 to keep Huskies down.
                              Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 06-06-2012, 08:02 AM.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                5.00 miles, 55:40, I hit end on my phone the second she said 5 miles. I was gased. 77.45 to keep Huskies down.
                                That's a decent run, keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                                X