Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    I just returned by second Garmin 610 in the last six months or so. Completely crashed again - wouldn't charge, wouldn't turn on, etc.

    Good news: it appears there was a problem in the first two batches produced and both of mine were from that batch.
    Better news: still under warranty.
    Best news: garmin customer service is stellar and a new one is on the way. They told me to keep all my accessories as spares too.
    I've been impressed with Garmin customer service as well. My 405 crashed about a week before my first race. We spoke to someone on the phone who promised to have a new one over-nighted at no expense to us. Turns out, they some how sent one over night and a second one priority. We called and talked to them about returning the extra and they acted like it would be more of a hassle than just keeping it. So between my wife and I, we have 3 405's.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
      That's happened to my 305 several times. If it ever happens after the warranty has expired, there is a way to do a hard reset that has brought mine back from the dead (including the night before the St. George Marathon).
      This is my experience as well. I even think the hard reset instructions are in the user guide. It's very simple to do.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment


      • Yeah, I know how to hard reset. Didn't work either time.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by kccougar View Post
          I understand the value of reflective clothing, but at the same time it's not like a car driving in the dark is going to sneak up on a runner. It seems a pretty simple thing for a runner to keep out of the way.
          I've had close calls already in just the relatively short time I've been running. Just not worth it to me to take chances. Two situations in particular where I want to be sure I'm seen (keeping in mind I almost always run on roads, against traffic): left turners coming up from behind me, and right turners entering my road who are only checking over their shoulder but never bother to look once in the direction that they are turning.

          Hard to explain, but I'll bet other runners here know exactly what I'm talking about.

          The headlamp I use because I've stepped on too many rocks and pinecones that were indistinguishable in the dark.

          Oh, and I also just about got hit by a bike in the dark once that I never saw coming, nor did he see me. I don't know how he stayed on his bike. Way too close. That's when I went out and got a headlamp and reflective vest, as well as a small flashing light.

          Comment


          • I already voiced my problems with running early in the am in a different, much larger public forum.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
              I've had close calls already in just the relatively short time I've been running. Just not worth it to me to take chances. Two situations in particular where I want to be sure I'm seen (keeping in mind I almost always run on roads, against traffic): left turners coming up from behind me, and right turners entering my road who are only checking over their shoulder but never bother to look once in the direction that they are turning.
              I would add right turners coming up behind you.

              My father in law was almost killed less than 2 years ago because of this. He and my sister-in-law were running early one morning. They were crossing an intersection when a car came up behind them and made a right turn right into my FIL, throwing him about 30 feet in the air and onto his head.

              I've never had any really close calls myself, but I am much more aware of what is going on around me and am much less likely to run with music on if I will be running near traffic.

              I also have a reflective vest I often wear and a cool little arm strap that has several LED light up fairly brightly.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                I've had close calls already in just the relatively short time I've been running. Just not worth it to me to take chances. Two situations in particular where I want to be sure I'm seen (keeping in mind I almost always run on roads, against traffic): left turners coming up from behind me, and right turners entering my road who are only checking over their shoulder but never bother to look once in the direction that they are turning.

                Hard to explain, but I'll bet other runners here know exactly what I'm talking about.

                The headlamp I use because I've stepped on too many rocks and pinecones that were indistinguishable in the dark.

                Oh, and I also just about got hit by a bike in the dark once that I never saw coming, nor did he see me. I don't know how he stayed on his bike. Way too close. That's when I went out and got a headlamp and reflective vest, as well as a small flashing light.
                This happens every dang run. I just go behind the car unless they pretty much motion me in front of them.
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                Comment


                • I guess my point is that in the dark I can see the cars with lights on long before they see me, reflective clothing or not, other than the case of turning left from behind you. And even then, you ought to be able to see their headlights lighting up the road as they approach from behind. When I run it is almost always in the dark.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                  Comment


                  • I mentioned a while back that my parents - aged 58 and 63 - had gotten into running, and that my dad had finished his first half marathon in January.

                    I hadn't seen them since that race in early January until last night. Wow. They caught the bug. Three times a week they go out running - indoors on a track if it's too cold outdoors. My dad is signed up for another half an is signing up for a full next January. My mom is content to stay with 5 and 10ks but is signed up for a number of them as well.

                    They have lost a ton of weight - not that either was especially fat to begin with (my mom in particular was never big). They look great except for all of the baggy clothes. And they are talking different. Before they would talk about how they were getting older and they only had a few years left. Now they are talking about living long and doing new things with their second life, as they call it. They eat better and they are happier.

                    I am nothing short of amazed at what this has done for them. They are looking at picking up cycling too. Three or four hours a week has completely changed their life.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment


                    • How long of a break can you folks take from training and still be able to pick up where you left off? I've been sick; tomorrow morning will be my first run in two weeks. I would have run somewhere in the 12-to-14-mile range if I hadn't missed any runs, but I doubt I will try it. Maybe 8 to 10, then see what the next week brings.

                      I've come back from a one-week break several times and felt magnificent, almost like a taper. We'll see what happens.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                      "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                        How long of a break can you folks take from training and still be able to pick up where you left off? I've been sick; tomorrow morning will be my first run in two weeks. I would have run somewhere in the 12-to-14-mile range if I hadn't missed any runs, but I doubt I will try it. Maybe 8 to 10, then see what the next week brings.

                        I've come back from a one-week break several times and felt magnificent, almost like a taper. We'll see what happens.
                        I would pick up where you left off, not where you should be. So act like this is 2 weeks ago, if that makes sense. Take it a bit easier than normal to see how it feels, but I don't think you shoul dhave lost anythign in that amount of time.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          I would pick up where you left off, not where you should be. So act like this is 2 weeks ago, if that makes sense. Take it a bit easier than normal to see how it feels, but I don't think you shoul dhave lost anythign in that amount of time.
                          This is what I would do too. If I was concerned about not being in having lost something over the two weeks, I would probably still cover the distance - but reduce the pace as necessary to complete it.

                          Comment


                          • I'm up to 2.25 miles a day, three days a week, however I've got a tender spot on my leg this afternoon. It's not in the same place as the previous two stress fractures, but it's worrying me. I can't imagine it's a stress fracture yet as I'm barely back running and it's in a different spot. I'm hoping it's merely a sore muscle that is close to the tibia. I ran in my VFFs this morning so the likelihood of it being a sore muscle is decent, but given my history I'm still worried.

                            I truly hope I don't get injured again. I love running. I wake up at 5:15 on my running days and never have to hit the snooze button. The feeling of running down the trails in my neighborhood in the dawn is one of the best parts of the day, as is the feeling I get after a decent run. I've tried to back off most of the time so I can just enjoy the runs, although sometimes I really push it just to see where I'm at. I really, really want to get to the point where I can train for a marathon so hopefully I can stay injury free and keep adding in more and more miles.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                            Comment


                            • Who's registered for the Salt Lake Marathon/Half? I was in Salt Lake for Easter and ran a couple of times just to test out the elevation difference. Saturday morning I essentially ran from my mom's house up to the race start and back for an easy 10. I didn't push my speed very hard on the way up but on the way back down I still struggled to maintain a 8:30 pace. I'm running the half and hoping for two things: 1. to beat my wife for the first time who will be 4 months pregnant and 2. to beat my Snow Canyon time of 1:53:08.

                              I was feeling pretty strong a couple of weeks ago until my kids got me sick. Also, I've had a strange development in my knees that has me a bit concerned. Not so much for this upcoming Half as much as my St. George Marathon training. After a run, no matter how well I try and stretch out afterwards, as soon as I sit down at my desk at work for a couple of hours, when I stand up, a ligament on the inside of my knees has to be stretched out again for me to stand comfortably. Like I said, there's no pain associated with it, just tightness. After some internet sleuthing, it seems to be the medial (tibular) collateral ligament that is giving me grief. Right where it seems to connect to the tibia, it is a bit tender to the touch. There's no noticeable swelling and so my guess is that there's some minor inflammation going on. I've tried to gradually increase my mileage and I can't think of any obvious triggers or even when it started. I know I had it all through March and ran 75 miles in march, so it's definitely not debilitating. But I do worry if a bear were to suddenly appear within my work space, the stiffness may give my coworkers the jump on me, therefore costing me my life. So any insight into specific stretches or treatment would be greatly appreciated.
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

                                I was feeling pretty strong a couple of weeks ago until my kids got me sick. Also, I've had a strange development in my knees that has me a bit concerned. Not so much for this upcoming Half as much as my St. George Marathon training. After a run, no matter how well I try and stretch out afterwards, as soon as I sit down at my desk at work for a couple of hours, when I stand up, a ligament on the inside of my knees has to be stretched out again for me to stand comfortably. Like I said, there's no pain associated with it, just tightness. After some internet sleuthing, it seems to be the medial (tibular) collateral ligament that is giving me grief. Right where it seems to connect to the tibia, it is a bit tender to the touch. There's no noticeable swelling and so my guess is that there's some minor inflammation going on. I've tried to gradually increase my mileage and I can't think of any obvious triggers or even when it started. I know I had it all through March and ran 75 miles in march, so it's definitely not debilitating. But I do worry if a bear were to suddenly appear within my work space, the stiffness may give my coworkers the jump on me, therefore costing me my life. So any insight into specific stretches or treatment would be greatly appreciated.
                                I'm not totally sure a "tight" MCL is the culprit here. Possibly a mild sprain, but ligaments are non-contractile and don't usually tighten up with immobility. There may be some swelling and inflammation in the area causing it to feel that way.

                                Do a quick search for pes anserine bursitis and see if those symptoms sound at all similar to what you are feeling. Much more common in a long distance runner than MCL sprain.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X