The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
    After making fun of them the past few years, I bought my first pair of Five Fingers, choosing to go with the Bikilas. I ran 3 miles in them on the first day and liked them, but it's going to be a proces I can tell. I think the Nike Frees have been excellent preparation, but there is a tremendous difference between the two. I can see why purists don't like to call the Frees a true minimalist shoe as you really feel everything in the five fingers. It's not painful, but even little rocks make their presence known. Looking forward to upping the mileage.
    Why did you go with the Bikilas? I'm curious because I'm in the market.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Here's a sale going on right now if you're interested. I've got KSO Treks and wouldn't mind giving the Bikilas a try, but I'm not buying another pair right now.

http://slickdeals.net/f/3832752-Vibr...SO-36-amp-More
      I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
        Here's a sale going on right now if you're interested. I've got KSO Treks and wouldn't mind giving the Bikilas a try, but I'm not buying another pair right now.

http://slickdeals.net/f/3832752-Vibr...SO-36-amp-More
        Ugh, they don't have any in my size. I measure out to a 40 in the VFFs.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

After making fun of them the past few years, I bought my first pair of Five Fingers, choosing to go with the Bikilas. I ran 3 miles in them on the first day and liked them, but it's going to be a proces I can tell. I think the Nike Frees have been excellent preparation, but there is a tremendous difference between the two. I can see why purists don't like to call the Frees a true minimalist shoe as you really feel everything in the five fingers. It's not painful, but even little rocks make their presence known. Looking forward to upping the mileage.
          I tried on VFFs at REI a long time ago, but it took me forever to get them on, so I started looking at other options. Here's the shoe I'm using now:

http://www.shopnewbalance.com/men/sh...running/MT10GY

I used the model prior to this and put about 1000 miles on them--these have the vibram soles and I think will likely last longer (and were about $80). They feel almost exactly like the VFFs on the ground but are quick to put on and don't look retarded. I use them for anything under 7-8 miles, and really, I think I could stretch it out longer, except that if I go longer, I have unavoidable uphill/downhill stretches where I have to heel-strike. I wear my Kinvara 2's for those.
          I agree that the Kinvara 2's are not true minimalist shoes because they're so cushioned. You lose the feeling of the force interaction between your foot and the ground.
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
            I also got my first pair of running tights for Christmas and I LOVE those things. I love the Ned Flanders "Feels like nothing at all!" feeling and the warmth they provide is amazing.

Niku, have you switched up shoes lately? I thought something I'd read made it sound like you have changed models or brand from what you were wearing regularly a year ago?

My wife has a couple pair of Brooks Ghost GTX and those are nice. I'm not in a neutral yet but I'd really like to get something with some decent water protection.
            I just retired my last pair of Asics. I liked their Skyspeed for marathoning but they discontinued the shoe.

Over the past year I've made a definite switch towards less shoe. I love the kinvara 2 for everything and it is my go-to shoe right now (I've run as far as 20 miles in them, raced a half marathon). I just bought another pair - the black/yellow/orange color scheme, sexy!

I run once a week these days in VFFs - 3-4 miles - and I have a pair of Newton Distance Racers that I will also wear on occasion for fun. The only other pair of shoes I have that I will run in occasionally is a pair of saucony cortanas. Think kinvara but not substance. I use these when I'm feeling like my feet need something more.

I'm running six or seven days a week now so I regularly rotate my shoes.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              To be perfectly honest, I couldn't tell a difference between any of the models. The sales guy said that the Bikila was specifically developed for running so I went with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                I just retired my last pair of Asics. I liked their Skyspeed for marathoning but they discontinued the shoe.

Over the past year I've made a definite switch towards less shoe. I love the kinvara 2 for everything and it is my go-to shoe right now (I've run as far as 20 miles in them, raced a half marathon). I just bought another pair - the black/yellow/orange color scheme, sexy!

I run once a week these days in VFFs - 3-4 miles - and I have a pair of Newton Distance Racers that I will also wear on occasion for fun. The only other pair of shoes I have that I will run in occasionally is a pair of saucony cortanas. Think kinvara but not substance. I use these when I'm feeling like my feet need something more.

I'm running six or seven days a week now so I regularly rotate my shoes.
                I am using my Kinvaras (I have a first-gen pair as well as a pair of the 2s) more and more often. My other shoe has always been from the Asics 21__ series, which has the traditional heel-toe drop and extra stability (mild/moderate overpronator with normal arches). I really like the Kinvaras especially that I am running more on my midfoot now with faster turnover. I don't see myself ever being a pure barefoot guy, but I like the new move toward less shoe (or not so new, as a few decades ago that was apparently the standard already).

I am hoping to try a different shoe just for variety and to see if there's something even better out there for me. I have yet to try Frees or the NB shoes, which seem to have good reviews. At this point I still put on the Asics for longer runs, but the more I run in the Kinvaras, the more funny it feels to put that much shoe on my foot.

Comment

• Registration for the 2012 Diz Half opened today. It sold out in 3 weeks last year so.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                    Registration for the 2012 Diz Half opened today. It sold out in 3 weeks last year so.....
                    Good to know.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I hate the kind of snow we got today. Normally I really enjoy walking in the snow. Today it was just cold enough to have just a trace of slush on all the sidewalks - made them very slick. I seemed I was skating more than walking I didn't even attempt jogging, even walking I fell once and nearly fell a couple of more times

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                        Registration for the 2012 Diz Half opened today. It sold out in 3 weeks last year so.....
                        This is earlier than last year, no? I doubt we'll do it again this year, but last year's was outstanding. This is a great half for first-timers.

Comment

• Ok, I've run 3 times in the Bikilas and thought I'd report. As I said earlier, running in the Frees really was a great help for the transition. At this early point, I still MUCH prefer the Frees. The difference in feel between the Frees and the Bikilas is almost exactly the same as the difference between my trainers and the Frees. I have noticed a small amount of calf soreness. It's the good, normal kind and was expected. I had the same soreness when I switched to the Frees.

Overall, I'm really digging the feel of these Vibrams. My longest run in them has been 4 miles, but I'm confident I could push that to 6 easily. At this point I can't imagine racing in them, but that may change with experience and strength. Wearing these has made me wonder how anyone actually runs barefoot. I have stepped on many rocks already and though they can't puncture me, they hurt and leave me bruised. The thought of doing that without the Vibrams blows my mind.

Comment

• what a difference a couple of days makes - tonight it was 51 degrees and no rain/sleet at 1800 hrs during my walk/jog. I had to take off the gloves and sweat shirt. Weird weather

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Ok, I've run 3 times in the Bikilas and thought I'd report. As I said earlier, running in the Frees really was a great help for the transition. At this early point, I still MUCH prefer the Frees. The difference in feel between the Frees and the Bikilas is almost exactly the same as the difference between my trainers and the Frees. I have noticed a small amount of calf soreness. It's the good, normal kind and was expected. I had the same soreness when I switched to the Frees.

Overall, I'm really digging the feel of these Vibrams. My longest run in them has been 4 miles, but I'm confident I could push that to 6 easily. At this point I can't imagine racing in them, but that may change with experience and strength. Wearing these has made me wonder how anyone actually runs barefoot. I have stepped on many rocks already and though they can't puncture me, they hurt and leave me bruised. The thought of doing that without the Vibrams blows my mind.
                              I ordered a pair today. I'm excited to try them out.

Comment

• So often, I'm out running and wish I had brought a hat or gloves, or have them on and get hot. No longer!

I present you with my new favorite piece of running apparel:
                                http://www.rei.com/product/798979/re...te-hoodie-mens

You're welcome.

I like to run a little cold, so this may be a little light for some. I tried on the Salomon version of essentially the same thing, and besides being twice the price, it felt too heavy.
                                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                                X