The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
    I debated about posting this, but I want all y'all to know that you are inspiring.

Tuesday, I decided to time my run/walk. The time was glacial by most of your standards, but it was the fastest I've covered 6 miles since I started walking - 1:01:31. I didn't take splits. I walked 1/4 mile than jogged about 5 and walked the rest. I also walked a mile that was not timed to cool off - actually it was a stroll. That is also the longest continious run I've done since starting.

My new goal is to cover it under an hour.

When I time my self, the walk/run days are normally about 1:06 - 1:11 for 6 miles, depending on how much I run and between 1:18 - 1:21 when I just walk
    Right on, HO. Very cool. That's moving.

Comment

I debated about posting this, but I want all y'all to know that you are inspiring.

Tuesday, I decided to time my run/walk. The time was glacial by most of your standards, but it was the fastest I've covered 6 miles since I started walking - 1:01:31. I didn't take splits. I walked 1/4 mile than jogged about 5 and walked the rest. I also walked a mile that was not timed to cool off - actually it was a stroll. That is also the longest continious run I've done since starting.

My new goal is to cover it under an hour.

When I time my self, the walk/run days are normally about 1:06 - 1:11 for 6 miles, depending on how much I run and between 1:18 - 1:21 when I just walk
      That is awesome happyone. Well done.

You may end up getting the itch to run more and more. Not sure what came over my father a little over two years ago but he is a runningaholic now. He was in decent shape, worked out but hadn't ran for over 20 years because of his knees. At 59 years old he went for a light jog and couldn't stop running. In the past two years he has ran 4 half marathons.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
        That is awesome happyone. Well done.

You may end up getting the itch to run more and more. Not sure what came over my father a little over two years ago but he is a runningaholic now. He was in decent shape, worked out but hadn't ran for over 20 years because of his knees. At 59 years old he went for a light jog and couldn't stop running. In the past two years he has ran 4 half marathons.
        Thats what I'm afraid of

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Good job, HO. If you end up becoming a runaholic, you'll love that. But walking is pretty good exercise too. I used to be a runner but at the tender age of 34 was diagnosed with early degenerative arthritis in my hips. (A sub-clinical injury in my teens is suspected to be the cause. I even recall when it happened.) I needed a low-impact exercise and so I took up aerobic walking. It has been a great thing for me. Studies even show it is a better aerobic exercise than running. (No disrespect intended toward running.) So there are plenty of ways to ge tthe cardio workout you want!
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
            Good job, HO. If you end up becoming a runaholic, you'll love that. But walking is pretty good exercise too. I used to be a runner but at the tender age of 34 was diagnosed with early degenerative arthritis in my hips. (A sub-clinical injury in my teens is suspected to be the cause. I even recall when it happened.) I needed a low-impact exercise and so I took up aerobic walking. It has been a great thing for me. Studies even show it is a better aerobic exercise than running. (No disrespect intended toward running.) So there are plenty of ways to ge tthe cardio workout you want!
            I don't intend to completely turn to running - I too afraid of injuries to do that. For the time being I will be running 3 days a week and aerobic walking the other 4 - currently I'm averaging around 45 miles/week between walking and jogging and about 15-16 of that is jogging.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Holy crap, I think I hit a freight train last week. I donated blood at my office. I usually do this 4 times a year since the blood people come by that often. In addition to the good it does for people that receive the donation, it has also been good for me as it found my increased cholesterol level, which led to a physical and ultimately a hypothyroidic diagnosis and eventually me starting to run again. Long story short, I'm healthier today because of donating blood.

However, after giving blood on Tuesday, I waited until Thursday to run. My legs were like bricks. About 1/2 mile in I was ready to stop. My heart was pounding and my breathing was very heavy. I slowed down the pace quite a bit and still barely made it 3 miles. I probably should have stopped at 2 or 2 1/2 but I pushed to the end.

Has anyone else given blood and had it affect performance like this? I'm not too worried since I will run a 5K in two months and should be recovered, but I was hoping to do better training this week and next and I'm afraid I'll still be exhausted half way through the run.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• So, I totally want to kill my wife right now...

I wanted to get in one more 20 before the taper. Today was the day. I dress up warmly and take off from my brother's house behind Cabelas to Utah Lake down the Jordan River Parkway. I got to the halfway point and was doing great until who should call but SHW. She's been instructed not to call when I am running unless it is important.

I miss the call while taking off my gloves and then try to call her back. She leaves me a message asking if I okay. But now I'm not - my hands are freezing because I took off my gloves. So I stick my hands down my tights (what?!?) to warm them up. Only now I cannot run and I start to sweat, which also makes me cold. This is not good.

So I call her and tell her to pick me up at the Smiths in Saratoga Springs, angry that one of my better runs was ruined. Managed to get 13 in. And the wife likely won't do that again.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• .... You canceled the rest of your run because you took off your gloves?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• fyi for any interested in ut county....Ross store in AF has running tights/compression pants for cheap. I picked up a pair of nike dri-fit today for 9.99. I'm always looking for deals like this because I refuse to spend $50 just to keep my legs warm. The only downside is they're purple. They also have some non-name brand running tights for $12.

And Niku for the record I'm as confused as falafel by your story. Running 20 miles is a feat of human strength and endurance...only to be undone by cold hands??

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                      fyi for any interested in ut county....Ross store in AF has running tights/compression pants for cheap. I picked up a pair of nike dri-fit today for 9.99. I'm always looking for deals like this because I refuse to spend $50 just to keep my legs warm. The only downside is they're purple. They also have some non-name brand running tights for $12.

And Niku for the record I'm as confused as falafel by your story. Running 20 miles is a feat of human strength and endurance...only to be undone by cold hands??
                      It's more complicated than that, but the combination of having to take off my gloves to operate an iPhone, starting sweat because I was walking, and a cold wind had me seriously concerned about frostbite. And not without reason - my hands are still just recovering.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                        It's more complicated than that, but the combination of having to take off my gloves to operate an iPhone, starting sweat because I was walking, and a cold wind had me seriously concerned about frostbite. And not without reason - my hands are still just recovering.
                        It was 65 degrees yesterday during my run.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                          It was 65 degrees yesterday during my run.
                          It was 32 during mine

Comment

It was 32 during mine
                            31 with snow and wind during mine, depending on where.

Actually, in fairness to my wife, I was a bit underdressed. My cold weather Houston gear isn't quite good enough for cold weather in Utah.

Comment

• [ame="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1498758429359"]Incompatible Browser | Facebook[/ame]
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X