The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    Incredible sale at Runningwarehouse.com on Kinvara 2s. You can get them for $71.95 per, free second day shipping. Use code rwjuly11 to get an extra 10% off for a total price of $63 and change. I haven't seen them for less than $89 anywhere else. Just got a second pair for me and a first pair for the missus.
    Thanks Niku...great find! Gonna get myself a second pair right now.

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up Nik. I just picked up a pair of Nike Free 3.0 V2's. This'll be my first pair of minimalist shoes. I'm going to try and work them in on some short easy runs.

Can you tell us where you get the coupon codes? That was a nice little bonus.

Comment

Incredible sale at Runningwarehouse.com on Kinvara 2s. You can get them for $71.95 per, free second day shipping. Use code rwjuly11 to get an extra 10% off for a total price of $63 and change. I haven't seen them for less than $89 anywhere else. Just got a second pair for me and a first pair for the missus.
        That's how I got mine a while back. I can only go sockless in them once a week or so due to some rubbing against my left achilles but other than that I've loved them.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
          Thanks for the heads up Nik. I just picked up a pair of Nike Free 3.0 V2's. This'll be my first pair of minimalist shoes. I'm going to try and work them in on some short easy runs.

Can you tell us where you get the coupon codes? That was a nice little bonus.
          You used to be able to get one through runblogger.com, but not anymore it appears. So I just google it, and there the code was. Probably have to clean a virus off of my machine now or something.

I generally love runningwarehouse. I consistently find them to have the best prices and they always have free second day shipping. Probably run by the health nut wing of the mafia.

Check out their shoefitter functionality too. It's a good way to tell sizes and such.

No idea if their returns policy is any good - never had to use it.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

You used to be able to get one through runblogger.com, but not anymore it appears. So I just google it, and there the code was. Probably have to clean a virus off of my machine now or something.

I generally love runningwarehouse. I consistently find them to have the best prices and they always have free second day shipping. Probably run by the health nut wing of the mafia.

Check out their shoefitter functionality too. It's a good way to tell sizes and such.

No idea if their returns policy is any good - never had to use it.
            So this is just crazy. They have a Golden State overnight shipping option for free! I ordered them right after you posted and they are due to arrive tomorrow just because I live in CA.

Comment

• Funny timing. Yesterday, I ordered a pair of MT10's from them:
              http://www.runningwarehouse.com/view...?pcode=NB10MGY

It's en route scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so I called and asked if I could use the coupon code retroactively, and they said yes! So I saved $10 there.

I really like NB shoes (I've been on the MT 100's for a year and half), so I think I'll keep those, but with the Kinvara's so cheap, I might grab a pair of those for road races/training or alternating shoes around. I'm also a little nervous about how cushioned they are (at least from reviews), but you really can't go wrong for $63.

I love runningwarehouse. Good find, nik.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Got my shoes this morning. They had the shoes I currently use for 56 bucks - Hooray for me and for new versions. Yay, Brooks Ghost 3.

Thanks again for posting this nikuman.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  Got my shoes this morning. They had the shoes I currently use for 56 bucks - Hooray for me and for new versions. Yay, Brooks Ghost 3.

That's what I run in. I ordered two pair. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. We're starting to sound like those coupon ladies.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    Got my shoes this morning. They had the shoes I currently use for 56 bucks - Hooray for me and for new versions. Yay, Brooks Ghost 3.

Got mine today too. That's some serious service!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                      So this is just crazy. They have a Golden State overnight shipping option for free! I ordered them right after you posted and they are due to arrive tomorrow just because I live in CA.
                      Nice.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Did my first long run of this training cycle on Saturday. I have a few 13's under my belt but Saturday was 16 and was supposed to be a progressive long run with the last 30 minutes being progressively quicker, the last 10 at projected marathon pace. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to get out until about 9 a.m. and in Redding that is a problem. By the time I was supposed to be getting quicker I was baked as it was already over 90 degrees with lots of full sun exposure. Wasn't able to hold the splits I wanted in that heat, but did have decent times for the conditions. That was the most I've suffered in a while.

Comment

• I've lost so much fitness it's not funny. I haven't run regularly (until the last week) since early May due to injury, and I can feel it. Six miles at a slow pace felt like 20 this morning.

I still haven't posted my gait analysis particulars - not what they said so much as how they did it. I think a few people may be interested in some of the stills/video - I just the media back from the lab.

Comment

• Working my way up to my first half marathon, I have no idea what to do about pacing. I'm building up the miles (a ten miler last week, plus three short runs of around three miles), but have no plan for improving speed. This morning I ran five at a comfortable pace (9:40 or so) but in the fifth mile I ran a 440 at a better than 7:00 pace (couldn't sustain that forever, certainly). Any great ideas for what to do with one or two of my weekly shorter runs to improve speed and/or find a good tempo I can maintain for 13 miles?

I also need to get in a couple of long rides with lotsa climbing this week and early next, to prep for the assault on Donner Summit with my fellow Cuffers a week from Saturday, after which I can concentrate on running for the following month.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              Working my way up to my first half marathon, I have no idea what to do about pacing. I'm building up the miles (a ten miler last week, plus three short runs of around three miles), but have no plan for improving speed. This morning I ran five at a comfortable pace (9:40 or so) but in the fifth mile I ran a 440 at a better than 7:00 pace (couldn't sustain that forever, certainly). Any great ideas for what to do with one or two of my weekly shorter runs to improve speed and/or find a good tempo I can maintain for 13 miles?

I also need to get in a couple of long rides with lotsa climbing this week and early next, to prep for the assault on Donner Summit with my fellow Cuffers a week from Saturday, after which I can concentrate on running for the following month.
                              For improving speed, I'd take one of those three milers and turn it into a track workout. Run a couple of laps to warm up. Run 400 repeats at a pretty dang hard pace (5k pace if you know it). Jog a lap. Repeat a few - say, 4 - times. Cool down with another couple of laps. Be warned of increased risk of injury.

You could also do a tempo run. Start slow, build up to 10k pace, hold for a few minutes, cool down. Total run time should be about 30 minutes, with two thirds of that as the build up and 10k bit.

For pace, I do recommend the McMillan pace calculator if you have another race result. You kind of have to guess based on previous results, current fitness, etc. Whatever pace you choose, plan to make your first mile your slowest.

Comment

• I echo Nik's advice especially related to tempo runs. As new as you are to running, you want to be careful with speed work. But tempo runs will help you immensely in holding faster speeds. Just google tempo runs and several good articles will pop up regarding how to do them properly. The simplest way to go about them is to run at a comfortably hard pace for 20 minutes. Comfortably hard meaning a pace you could hold for about an hour but it's difficult enough that you'd like to stop. That McMillan calculator Nik mentioned will give you a nice range in which to run your tempos.

Comment

Working...
                                X