The Official Thread for Runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    It's funny that the morning after you posted this, I woke up on one of my running days and decided I was going to skip the run because I was tired/lazy. So after I turn off my alarm and start to go back to sleep, I flip open CS and this post is on there. Needless to say I hopped out of bed and went running. So at least your lack of motivation was motivation to me.

Thanks LC!
    Glad I could help.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Belated congratulations to people on their accomplishments, especially Lambda -- awesome job with the half and the upcoming anniversary.

A couple of months back, I bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 8s and I'm a huge fan. They feel lighter than my DS Trainers and generally have a good feel. I also (finally) demo'ed the cherished Kinvaras in a friendly 5k with my daughter and they were a good run, too. They seemed to add a spring to my stride, but it wasn't overdone. I'm not a neutral runner, but these felt good and I feel like I could get away with them, though it would be nice to try the Cortana also.
      I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
        "If it happens again I am going to spray her down with a hose and tell her, 'bad human!'" ha!
        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Saw this recently on FB...

I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• LOL @ #9

I excel at #6.
            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Comment

• So in the 'Huh, I didn't expect that' category, I finished 2nd overall in a 5k today. I've run this one 4 times now as it is a cause I feel strongly about, and usually they get 500 or so between the 10k and 5k, but for whatever reasons, the 5k field today clearly was not very competitive.

It might have something to do with the length of the course, which is always either too long or too short. Last year it was only 2.9; today it was 3.4. So my time looks forgettable (for me) at 22:09, but my pace was actually 6:32 per mile. I won't be able to count this race as a PR, but I'm a little frustrated wondering what my time might have been on an actual 5k course...tantalizingly close to that sub-20 I've become unreasonably obsessed with, especially since that extra almost three tenths hurt. a lot.

But overall I feel very content. I just had an experience I never thought I'd have and won't likely have again...running all alone out front. The winner ended up almost 4 minutes ahead of me, and the 3rd place finisher a minute behind. Aside from some 10k stragglers here and there, it felt like me just pushing myself on a routine speed day. It was surreal. I was aware that somewhere behind me were a bunch of runners, and I didn't even dare sneak a peek until the homestretch. I kept waiting to be passed, convinced it was coming soon, but it just never did. I ran the first mile in under 6:20 and kept the leader in my sights, but after that I never saw him. And once I finally looked back over my shoulder, the relief at seeing nobody was awesome.

So weird race, weird distance, clearly less-competitive field, but a memorable day. My confidence about hitting that sub-20--on an actual 3.1 course--is sky high right now.
              Last edited by OhioBlue; 08-03-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Way to go, OB. You're a speedster.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Very impressive, OB. That last time I ran that pace was during the Nixon Administration.

Comment

• Congrats, ob. You totally would have had it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Nice work, ob
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• I can't imagine coming close to sub 20 so I guess I'm just trying to say the OB is the man.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I'm getting annoyed by how often my running shoes wear out. My closet is starting to pile up with shoes that still look like they're in good shape but are beyond their functional life.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                            I'm getting annoyed by how often my running shoes wear out. My closet is starting to pile up with shoes that still look like they're in good shape but are beyond their functional life.
                            Well, you could run barefoot.
                            - Howard Aiken

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                              Well, you could run barefoot.
                              I do want to try some minimalist shoes but I wouldn't do anything more than a couple miles a week in them. I run almost exclusively on concrete and asphalt so I need cushioning.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                I'm getting annoyed by how often my running shoes wear out. My closet is starting to pile up with shoes that still look like they're in good shape but are beyond their functional life.
                                How do you judge this? By miles? Feel? Use Injuries?

For me , it is generally when all the tread has worn off the ball of the foot. When it gets too smooth, it is time for another. I have at least 5 pairs in my closet.

Comment

Working...
                                X