Breaking Bad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UVACoug
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 2685

    #1501
    Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Agreed. My wife and I thought that when we saw it as well. He was playing the dominating husband in a way he hadn't before, and his line about himself having built the empire - just him - I think was designed to exculpate Skylar.

    But at the same time, when he walked back to the beat up truck after the call, we were wondering if he had done something horrible to Holly. Just because you never know.
    I agree that the phone call was meant to exculpate Skyler. I also think he meant a lot of what he said. I think the state of his relationship with Skyler, and feeling emasculated because of it, was a big part of why he started cooking meth. There is a lot more to it than that, but I think he has resented and hated her for a long time.

    Comment

    • CardiacCoug
      вот так штука
      • Nov 2008
      • 11013

      #1502
      Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
      I agree that the phone call was meant to exculpate Skyler. I also think he meant a lot of what he said. I think the state of his relationship with Skyler, and feeling emasculated because of it, was a big part of why he started cooking meth. There is a lot more to it than that, but I think he has resented and hated her for a long time.
      Nope, I think he was putting on a show for the police -- pretending that he was a dangerous killer so they would keep his family protected, maybe even put them into permanent witness protection.

      Comment

      • scottie
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 5247

        #1503
        When Skylar told Walt Jr to put his seat belt on, and he said "You're shittin' me, right?"

        Comment

        • Mrs. Funk
          Lawyer Wannabe
          • Nov 2008
          • 2690

          #1504
          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          Nope, I think he was putting on a show for the police -- pretending that he was a dangerous killer so they would keep his family protected, maybe even put them into permanent witness protection.
          Well, he IS a dangerous killer ... He just probably wouldn't kill a family member. Unless the person is "like family," and then they're fair game.
          "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

          Comment

          • UVACoug
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2013
            • 2685

            #1505
            Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            Nope, I think he was putting on a show for the police -- pretending that he was a dangerous killer so they would keep his family protected, maybe even put them into permanent witness protection.
            He WAS putting on a show for the police, in order to exculpate his wife. I don't think he believes there is a threat to them from the nazis. Why would the Nazis go after his wife? It was definitely an act, but he also meant it.

            Comment

            • CardiacCoug
              вот так штука
              • Nov 2008
              • 11013

              #1506
              Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
              He WAS putting on a show for the police, in order to exculpate his wife. I don't think he believes there is a threat to them from the nazis. Why would the Nazis go after his wife? It was definitely an act, but he also meant it.
              If he really despised Skyler and meant all those horrible things he said to her, why would he call at all? Why not just let her go down for her role in the business?

              The only reason he makes that phone call at all is to help her and protect her, even after she just tried to kill him. Another example of how Vince Gilligan is full of shit when he says there is nothing redeemable about Walt -- that he's Scarface.

              Comment

              • Pheidippides
                Liberal Feminazi
                • Nov 2008
                • 14759

                #1507
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Yeah. So much for any notion of pandering to cheesy Hollywood gimmicks. This episode was like a great novel: harsh, unforgiving, and beautiful. Just brilliant writing.

                Best episode of the series, and that is really saying something.
                To this point, I love that they avoided a protracted shootout (despite our predominant debate this week). Last week closes with guns a blazing, and then this week, bam, Gomie's dead, Hank's injured, as if the writers are saying, "duh, what the hell do you think would happen?" And then all Walt did by trying to save hank was effectively sacrifice his fortune. Or most of it - I think I could be quite happy with $11MM, thank you very much.
                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                Comment

                • Non Sequitur
                  Where did I put my bodkin
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5773

                  #1508
                  Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  But the phone call Walt made to Skyler there at the end wasn't him actually threatening Skyler, right? That was Walt's way of protecting his family -- making sure they are in protective custody so they are safe from the skinheads.
                  He wasn't trying to protect his family. It's always been about control for Walt. He always treated Jessed like a son, until he could no longer control him. When he lost control of Skylar and Flynn, that was the end. He took Holly, because that was the last thing he thought he could control. He didn't do it out of love or concern. Now the only thing he has left to control is that big barrel of money.
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                  Comment

                  • UVACoug
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 2685

                    #1509
                    Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                    If he really despised Skyler and meant all those horrible things he said to her, why would he call at all? Why not just let her go down for her role in the business?

                    The only reason he makes that phone call at all is to help her and protect her, even after she just tried to kill him. Another example of how Vince Gilligan is full of shit when he says there is nothing redeemable about Walt -- that he's Scarface.
                    Because she is family. Because he has kids that need a mother. Because, while he hates her ... she is also his wife and he loves her. This is not a black and white show.

                    Comment

                    • Non Sequitur
                      Where did I put my bodkin
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5773

                      #1510
                      Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                      Because she is family. Because he has kids that need a mother. Because, while he hates her ... she is also his wife and he loves her. This is not a black and white show.
                      Has Walt ever shown any real affection for his family? Walt might love his family, but I don't think he really loves the members of his family.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

                      Comment

                      • Pheidippides
                        Liberal Feminazi
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14759

                        #1511
                        Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                        He wasn't trying to protect his family. It's always been about control for Walt. He always treated Jessed like a son, until he could no longer control him. When he lost control of Skylar and Flynn, that was the end. He took Holly, because that was the last thing he thought he could control. He didn't do it out of love or concern. Now the only thing he has left to control is that big barrel of money.
                        I agree with his reasoning for taking Holly - that was about power and control. I also agree that's he's lost control of Skylar and Flynn, and that's the end. But I think the call was about a last ditch effort at protection and love, knowing the cops were there, knowing that Skylar is facing an inquiry as Marie talks with the DEA and Hank/Gomie are missing.

                        I love that this show gives rise to these sorts of legitimate debates. I love that it focuses on little things, like the fact that you don't just have $80MM and somehow everything is okay. Instead you have a problem with how to actually use it, like you have an equivalent number of Yap stones.
                        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                        Comment

                        • CardiacCoug
                          вот так штука
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 11013

                          #1512
                          Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          He wasn't trying to protect his family. It's always been about control for Walt. He always treated Jessed like a son, until he could no longer control him. When he lost control of Skylar and Flynn, that was the end. He took Holly, because that was the last thing he thought he could control. He didn't do it out of love or concern. Now the only thing he has left to control is that big barrel of money.
                          I don't think he meant the stuff he was saying to Skyler in that phone call at all. He's sacrificing himself, even accepting the blame for Hank's murder, when he had offered to give up his entire fortune to save Hank and was devastated by the murder.

                          Comment

                          • OhioBlue
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 1129

                            #1513
                            I thought I saw something odd in the desert as Walt was rolling his barrel...thank you imgur for shedding some light:
                            Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

                            These kinds of details just add to the awesomeness of the show. Also, this felt to me like the emotional climax of the show....still details to resolve, but this was where everything came together. Loved it.

                            Comment

                            • OhioBlue
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 1129

                              #1514
                              Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              I don't think he meant the stuff he was saying to Skyler in that phone call at all. He's sacrificing himself, even accepting the blame for Hank's murder, when he had offered to give up his entire fortune to save Hank and was devastated by the murder.
                              This. I honestly think it was incredibly obvious what he was doing, and don't really see how it could be seen any differently. Love that in the same episode he was willing to see Jesse killed right in front of him, and then he throws himself on his sword--in a way--to protect his family and particularly Skylar.

                              Comment

                              • SCcoug
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 7625

                                #1515
                                Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                                I thought I saw something odd in the desert as Walt was rolling his barrel...thank you imgur for shedding some light:
                                Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

                                These kinds of details just add to the awesomeness of the show. Also, this felt to me like the emotional climax of the show....still details to resolve, but this was where everything came together. Loved it.
                                Ha that is awesome.


                                Also the rabid dog has now been caged and chained up.

                                Comment

                                Working...