Breaking Bad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Ha. Man, I guess I am blissfully ignorant. But I enjoy it more, so I got that going for me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northwestcoug
    replied
    Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    Ha! this is what I first thought of when I read this:

    Have Joe and his daughter nitpick small details and I think this is what it would look like!

    Leave a comment:


  • Eddie
    replied
    Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I would hate to watch TV or a movie between you and Mrs. NWC.
    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I would never ask to sit between you two.
    Ha! this is what I first thought of when I read this:

    Leave a comment:


  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    replied
    Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I would hate to watch TV or a movie between you and Mrs. NWC.
    I would never ask to sit between you two.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northwestcoug
    replied
    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Brad and Carl and I have been watching BB since wrestling ended. We just started season 5. The terminator head walking Gus after Hector blows him up still drew a groan from all three of us.
    I would hate to watch TV or a movie between you and Mrs. NWC.

    Leave a comment:


  • Donuthole
    replied
    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Through about page 15 of this thread, two things surprise me. 1. How much you all seemed to like Hank early on. I hated Hank until about the let season. In fact I told a friend 3 weeks ago when I was in season 3, that if Hank didn't recover from getting shot and never be a part of the show again it would make the show better. The last two season made his character, but still my least favorite of the entire cast. 2. You all thought terminator Gus was cool. For a show that was so fun to watch from the camera angles and shots, that was cartoonish and dumb. I saw my own brain I rolled my eyes so hard when he adjusted his tie.
    To your quoted point about Hank: last summer I rewatched the last 3 seasons of BB leading up to watching El Camino. At that point, I had recently rewatched Season 2 of The Wire. The contrast between how well Chris Bauer plays the role of Frank Sobotka and how clunkily Dean Norris plays the role of Hank Schrader is stark. Two similar roles--the hardass guy who is just trying to do what he believes is the right thing--but Bauer just kills it and Norris, well, he kills it in a different way.

    In short, Hank made rewatching BB tough for me. Once you already know the plot, it's easier to focus on the acting. And Norris' acting is not good.

    Leave a comment:


  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    replied
    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Through about page 15 of this thread, two things surprise me. 1. How much you all seemed to like Hank early on. I hated Hank until about the let season. In fact I told a friend 3 weeks ago when I was in season 3, that if Hank didn't recover from getting shot and never be a part of the show again it would make the show better. The last two season made his character, but still my least favorite of the entire cast. 2. You all thought terminator Gus was cool. For a show that was so fun to watch from the camera angles and shots, that was cartoonish and dumb. I saw my own brain I rolled my eyes so hard when he adjusted his tie.
    Brad and Carl and I have been watching BB since wrestling ended. We just started season 5. The terminator head walking Gus after Hector blows him up still drew a groan from all three of us.

    Leave a comment:


  • UVACoug
    replied
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Sure. That makes sense. I guess the grander point is, why does Saul pretend to Walt and Jesse like he's never met Mike before? Why not say "i've dealt with this guy--it'll get messy." Or are we to merely chalk that up to the fact that BCS was written after the fact.
    Isn’t Saul the one that introduced them to Mike in the first place (to help Jesse after Jane died)? I’m pretty sure they knew that Saul had a relationship with Mike before hand.

    Leave a comment:


  • Commando
    replied
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Sure. That makes sense. I guess the grander point is, why does Saul pretend to Walt and Jesse like he's never met Mike before? Why not say "i've dealt with this guy--it'll get messy." Or are we to merely chalk that up to the fact that BCS was written after the fact.
    I think you chalk it up to that if pressed. However, there is some precedent for Saul deceiving his clients in furtherance of self-preservation, so that's not too much of a stretch for Saul not wanting to violate confidentiality for other clients with extremely sensitive information, too. He would be very motivated to not whisper a word about his relationship with Mike to novices like Walt and Jesse.

    I think if you go back to Walt's first meeting with Saul, he has to physically threaten him in order to get him to take on Jesse's defense case. Saul is pretty tight-lipped.
    Last edited by Commando; 10-16-2019, 04:43 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Donuthole
    replied
    Originally posted by Commando View Post
    Spoiler for Mike:
    I think at that point, it's in Saul's interest to not have Walt and Jesse mix with Mike and company for the reasons that played out. If Walt had never gotten embroiled in having to silence like 11 people, he never would have gone from drug manufacture/trafficking to actual murder, gotten entangled with the Nazis, etc... Saul had a nice little cut of whatever Walt was doing and adding all that extra baggage via Mike/Gus' leftover crew put that in danger. You could argue that, at least.
    Sure. That makes sense. I guess the grander point is, why does Saul pretend to Walt and Jesse like he's never met Mike before? Why not say "i've dealt with this guy--it'll get messy." Or are we to merely chalk that up to the fact that BCS was written after the fact.

    Leave a comment:


  • Commando
    replied
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Question for those familiar with Albe-Quirky, aka the BB Universe. I'm going back to watch season 5 (which is actually two seasons) before I watch El Camino.

    Spoiler for Mike Ehrmantraut:
    Season 5 opens coming off of Walter having blown up Gus Fring at the hospital. In S5E2, Jesse and Walter meet up with Saul Goodman, who is helping them find a new place to cook. At the meeting with Saul, they tell him they want to bring Mike Ehrmantraut in on the deal because he has distribution already in place. Saul warns them against inviting anymore people into the loop, but they insist.

    Pause right here. From what we know about Saul/Jimmy from BCS, Saul already knows Mike well. Now, I get that the BCS story was written after the fact, and, as a result, there are going to be some anachronisms. But, at this point, are we supposed to believe that Saul was trying to dissuade them from bringing Mike into the mix because he knew how Mike would muddy the waters financially (remember, after their first cook, Mike basically takes over half of it for "Hazard Pay" to keep paying off the people who need to keep quiet)? Or is Saul secretly fine with Mike getting involved, but he's just using his "due diligence" efforts as some reverse psychology? Neither?

    Just a thought I had as I was watching last night.
    Spoiler for Mike:
    I think at that point, it's in Saul's interest to not have Walt and Jesse mix with Mike and company for the reasons that played out. If Walt had never gotten embroiled in having to silence like 11 people, he never would have gone from drug manufacture/trafficking to actual murder, gotten entangled with the Nazis, etc... Saul had a nice little cut of whatever Walt was doing and adding all that extra baggage via Mike/Gus' leftover crew put that in danger. You could argue that, at least.

    Leave a comment:


  • Donuthole
    replied
    Question for those familiar with Albe-Quirky, aka the BB Universe. I'm going back to watch season 5 (which is actually two seasons) before I watch El Camino.

    Spoiler for Mike Ehrmantraut:
    Season 5 opens coming off of Walter having blown up Gus Fring at the hospital. In S5E2, Jesse and Walter meet up with Saul Goodman, who is helping them find a new place to cook. At the meeting with Saul, they tell him they want to bring Mike Ehrmantraut in on the deal because he has distribution already in place. Saul warns them against inviting anymore people into the loop, but they insist.

    Pause right here. From what we know about Saul/Jimmy from BCS, Saul already knows Mike well. Now, I get that the BCS story was written after the fact, and, as a result, there are going to be some anachronisms. But, at this point, are we supposed to believe that Saul was trying to dissuade them from bringing Mike into the mix because he knew how Mike would muddy the waters financially (remember, after their first cook, Mike basically takes over half of it for "Hazard Pay" to keep paying off the people who need to keep quiet)? Or is Saul secretly fine with Mike getting involved, but he's just using his "due diligence" efforts as some reverse psychology? Neither?

    Just a thought I had as I was watching last night.

    Leave a comment:


  • dabrockster
    replied
    I am rewatching BB before I watch El Camino. On S2 now.

    “TIGHT! TIGHT! TIGHT!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Walter Sobchak
    replied
    Waiting to hear if MG's dad thinks MG should watch it before I decide to commit.

    Leave a comment:


  • Surfah
    replied
    Loved it. It was another trip through one of my favorite universes ever created.

    Leave a comment:

Working...