Breaking Bad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The_Douger
    Athletic Supporter
    • Jun 2012
    • 5413

    #1546
    Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Yep, how about the reason Walt took his daughter has nothing to do with power or control or sticking it to Skyler.

    Maybe he couldn't bear the thought of leaving her forever and wanted to spend a few final hours with her.
    I don't think so either. I think he wanted things to go down how they went down once it became clear they weren't going to go with him and leave like he wanted.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

    Comment

    • clackamascoug
      Banned
      • Dec 2009
      • 9709

      #1547
      Thanks for all the excellent comments. I've never looked forward to an episode with as much anticipation, and then be thoroughly engrossed every second.

      Maybe Flynn being such a pussy for the whole series was to legitimize his calling the cops and being the ultimate opposite pillar of morality to Walt. Thus his name; Walt Jr.

      I think Granite State has something to do with a headstone.

      I think the stunt baby filling in for Holly did an excellent job.
      Last edited by clackamascoug; 09-15-2013, 11:12 PM.

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69723

        #1548
        Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        Yep, how about the reason Walt took his daughter has nothing to do with power or control or sticking it to Skyler.

        Maybe he couldn't bear the thought of leaving her forever and wanted to spend a few final hours with her.
        That seems like a real stretch. I think it was just a heat-of-the-moment thing.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Art Vandelay
          Striving for mediocrity
          • Jul 2009
          • 10516

          #1549
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          That seems like a real stretch. I think it was just a heat-of-the-moment thing.
          Exactly. He did something impulsive, that he knew would be hurtful, in the middle of a fight with his wife. Of all the things to criticize Walt for in this series, I don't think taking his daughter, after just being stabbed by her mother, is one of them.

          Also, props to Gilligan and the rest of the writers for not having Skyler being stabbed, during the wrestling match. As it was happening, I thought for sure the typical Hollywood homicide was going to take place. I love that this show, rarely takes the easy, or traditional way out.

          Comment

          • CardiacCoug
            вот так штука
            • Nov 2008
            • 11013

            #1550
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            That seems like a real stretch. I think it was just a heat-of-the-moment thing.
            Sure. Just to be devil's advocate and I know obviously Walt hasn't been the main caregiver for Holly and this is also a stretch. But I think it's kind of interesting how it would be expected that a good Mom would or maybe even should take her baby with her in a situation like that. But if the Dad does the same thing it's an evil, sinister thing. Just sayin'...

            Comment

            • Non Sequitur
              Where did I put my bodkin
              • Nov 2008
              • 5773

              #1551
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              NS, commando is being an asshole with that last sentence, but I think he is right about the call.
              My point is that he's not doing it for his family, he's doing it for himself. His family is a possession that he doesn't want to lose.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

              Comment

              • UVACoug
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 2685

                #1552
                Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                Yep, how about the reason Walt took his daughter has nothing to do with power or control or sticking it to Skyler.

                Maybe he couldn't bear the thought of leaving her forever and wanted to spend a few final hours with her.
                When has he ever given a damn about spending time with her in the past?

                Comment

                • UVACoug
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 2685

                  #1553
                  Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  Exactly. He did something impulsive, that he knew would be hurtful, in the middle of a fight with his wife. Of all the things to criticize Walt for in this series, I don't think taking his daughter, after just being stabbed by her mother, is one of them.

                  Also, props to Gilligan and the rest of the writers for not having Skyler being stabbed, during the wrestling match. As it was happening, I thought for sure the typical Hollywood homicide was going to take place. I love that this show, rarely takes the easy, or traditional way out.
                  What? You think Walt was justified in kidnapping his daughter?

                  Comment

                  • UVACoug
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 2685

                    #1554
                    Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                    Sure. Just to be devil's advocate and I know obviously Walt hasn't been the main caregiver for Holly and this is also a stretch. But I think it's kind of interesting how it would be expected that a good Mom would or maybe even should take her baby with her in a situation like that. But if the Dad does the same thing it's an evil, sinister thing. Just sayin'...
                    When the dad is a drug kingpen/murderer who just got two DEA agents killed (one his brother-in-law, the other a family friend) and is about to be a fugitive ... I think it is fair to say that taking off with his infant daughter after wrestling his wife on the ground with a knife in front of his teenaged son is evil and sinister.

                    Comment

                    • CardiacCoug
                      вот так штука
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 11013

                      #1555
                      Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                      When has he ever given a damn about spending time with her in the past?
                      They just haven't shown all the times when Walt is caring for and bonding with Holly since the show is focusing more on the meth business side of the story.

                      Comment

                      • Art Vandelay
                        Striving for mediocrity
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 10516

                        #1556
                        Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                        What? You think Walt was justified in kidnapping his daughter?
                        Justified? No. Understandable? Yes. It was a terrible fight, he did something impulsive, that he (likely) felt was justified, and knew it would hurt Skyler. Many a non-killing, non-meth cooking father, might have done the same (ftr, I've never taken my kids, or screamed at my wife). I know it was meant to make WW seem even more evil, I just saw it as a selfish, hurtful reflex action. It didn't make me hate him anymore- though it certainly didn't earn him any respect either.

                        Comment

                        • UVACoug
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • 2685

                          #1557
                          Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                          Justified? No. Understandable? Yes. It was a terrible fight, he did something impulsive, that he (likely) felt was justified, and knew it would hurt Skyler. Many a non-killing, non-meth cooking father, might have done the same (ftr, I've never taken my kids, or screamed at my wife). I know it was meant to make WW seem even more evil, I just saw it as a selfish, hurtful reflex action. It didn't make me hate him anymore- though it certainly didn't earn him any respect either.
                          What did you mean when you said we shouldn't criticize him for that then? Maybe it was just a poor choice of words, but it sure read like you thought Walt was the victim in that situation.

                          Comment

                          • MarkGrace
                            Grooveshark dick tease
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 31546

                            #1558
                            That was the single most painful hour of television that I've ever seen.
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                            Comment

                            • MarkGrace
                              Grooveshark dick tease
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 31546

                              #1559
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              I predict that the series will end with Walt dying in a shootout while rescuing Jesse from slavery. Thus he will get some small measure of redemption.
                              That thought crossed my mind during the episode as well, but I'm not sure how that would work out. We've still got to make a jump forward in time here, and would they really hold onto Jesse that long? Their plan was to get information from him and then kill him. But maybe their intentions have changed. Maybe it's like you say and they'll hold him in some form of slavery to cook for them.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                              Comment

                              • MarkGrace
                                Grooveshark dick tease
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 31546

                                #1560
                                Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                                I trust Vince Gilligan. His skills of telling a story are as good as I've seen on TV. He said in an interview they've been working/plotting on Saul for four years, and I think they have tons of untouched humor opportunities of the sleazeball lawyer and the seamy underworld of which he caters to. I think the possibilities are endless. Vince wouldn't do it if he didn't think he could do it justice, and I'm sure he's weighed the value of the BB franchise, and concluded that Better Call Saul - better not suck.
                                I think his role in this thing is going to be less than you expect. Like when everyone was getting geeked about the Superman franchise being saved because of Nolan. It's not really going to be his show in the way that BB is.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                                Comment

                                Working...