Utah Recruiting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jarid in Cedar
    CS Institutional Memory
    • Jun 2009
    • 13234

    #931
    Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
    What is the protocol on this for recruiting sites do they reevaluate that he was 19 instead of 17 last year, does it lower their projection on his ceiling and his subsequent star ranking? Haven't seen many of these situations.

    Danny Almonte went from future superstar to also-ran when he was found to be 14 and not 12 in the LLWS.
    Dan Sorensen(Utah rivals) thought it would cost him his four star rank and rivals 250 spot.

    Otoh, by the time he reaches campus, he will have already served a Max Hall mission
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

    Comment

    • Hot Lunch
      Out of Office
      • Nov 2008
      • 7842

      #932
      Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
      Why?
      Because the kid is old enough to be a sophomore in college right now. He has been excelling against kids 1 to 2 years younger than him so we don't really know how good he is. I am not saying he isn't going to be good, he very well could be but I am not as excited about him as I once was.
      "Take it to the Bank"

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #933
        Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Holy Chinese gymnasts, this kid tried to pull one over his school AD.
        Maybe not:

        "I believe he really did think he was (18)," Thompson*said.
        Anyway, he'll be in spring ball in a few months and will have a head start on his collegiate career. He'll still be only 24 when he graduates, still younger than most BYU players.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • myboynoah
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 21719

          #934
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          Maybe not:



          Anyway, he'll be in spring ball in a few months and will have a head start on his collegiate career. He'll still be only 24 when he graduates, still younger than most BYU players.
          He didn't know how old he was? How does that happen?
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

          Comment

          • LA Ute
            Receiver of Memory
            • Nov 2008
            • 19512

            #935
            Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            He didn't know how old he was? How does that happen?
            Were you paying attention to what your parents were putting on your school forms when you were in 5th and 6th grade? Heck, I don't know. We know nothing about this kid's family or background. He probably doesn't come from a two-parent family....
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden


            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

            Comment

            • CJF
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 8497

              #936
              Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
              He didn't know how old he was? How does that happen?
              My brother-in-law thinks he is a year younger than he really is. His mom thought it was a good idea. I don't get it.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

              Comment

              • Portland Ute
                Junior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 5647

                #937
                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                Were you paying attention to what your parents were putting on your school forms when you were in 5th and 6th grade? Heck, I don't know. We know nothing about this kid's family or background. He probably doesn't come from a two-parent family....
                Very sneaky!

                Comment

                • myboynoah
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 21719

                  #938
                  Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                  Were you paying attention to what your parents were putting on your school forms when you were in 5th and 6th grade? Heck, I don't know. We know nothing about this kid's family or background. He probably doesn't come from a two-parent family....
                  I did know my birth date, especially by the time I was in high school. Did his parent(s) withold this information from him and told him he was younger than he really was? How did this come to light?

                  I understand he could be in the dark on this, but at some point people must produce some form of documentation for school and other purposes. What happened here?
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                  For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                  Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                  Comment

                  • creekster
                    It is NOT a monkey!
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22661

                    #939
                    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    Maybe not:



                    Anyway, he'll be in spring ball in a few months and will have a head start on his collegiate career. He'll still be only 24 when he graduates, still younger than most BYU players.
                    Maybe he went to Jacob's high school where facts like your age are seen as just not being so useful.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                    Comment

                    • Portland Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 5647

                      #940
                      Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      I did know my birth date, especially by the time I was in high school. Did his parent(s) withold this information from him and told him he was younger than he really was? How did this come to light?

                      I understand he could be in the dark on this, but at some point people must produce some form of documentation for school and other purposes. What happened here?
                      I know a family that did not want their kid to know he was older because they held him back a year. Weird things can happen.

                      or, people can just lie.

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #941
                        Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        I did know my birth date, especially by the time I was in high school. Did his parent(s) withold this information from him and told him he was younger than he really was? How did this come to light?

                        I understand he could be in the dark on this, but at some point people must produce some form of documentation for school and other purposes. What happened here?
                        It is a mystery. I hope you guys can get to the bottom of it and let the rest of us know.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #942
                          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          It is a mystery. I hope you guys can get to the bottom of it and let the rest of us know.
                          oooooh. touchy, touchy.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • Jarid in Cedar
                            CS Institutional Memory
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 13234

                            #943
                            Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            Maybe he went to Jacob's high school where facts like your age are seen as just not being so useful.
                            Ok, that was good.
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                            -Rick Majerus

                            Comment

                            • MartyFunkhouser
                              Disciple of RNGesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 18754

                              #944
                              Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                              I must say that I find myself amazed, no, absolutely stunned that you are the poster who brought this story to CUF.
                              My thoughts exactly.
                              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                              --Kendrick Lamar

                              Comment

                              • myboynoah
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 21719

                                #945
                                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                oooooh. touchy, touchy.
                                Yeah, very touchy. Those are sincere questions. I'm curious. If it turned out the young man was complicit in the subterfuge, well that wouldn't be so great. I assumed people knew, so I asked.
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                                For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                                Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                                Comment

                                Working...