Fire Ty

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37987

    #586
    I love stealing coaches away from Nikuman's school.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • frank ryan
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12375

      #587
      If PP and Arod come and take over QBs and WRs respectively, are Empey and Mahe retained?

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27884

        #588
        Originally posted by falafel View Post
        I love stealing coaches away from Nikuman's school.


        I didn't realize he's not LDS. That makes the hire even more interesting/great. I'm surprised we could steal a non-LDS coach from an SEC school, especially one that is very well paid and very good at what he does. I texted my LSU buddy (not Nikuman) and he's bummed to lose Grimes...but of course they've apparently already hired an NFL caliber OL coach.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • Crockett
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2013
          • 850

          #589
          Originally posted by All-American View Post
          No wonder it took so long. They had to make sure the checks would clear.

          Comment

          • Flystripper
            Degenerate Gambler
            • Nov 2008
            • 14094

            #590
            It’s been a long time since I liked a BYU coaching hire. This one is great.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

            Comment

            • originalsocal
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2009
              • 1632

              #591
              It's too bad we had to drag Ty Detmer through the mud to get here. Hopefully we have learned our lesson and let the HC hire who he wants from now on. That said, I like this hire a lot. I thought Grimes was a long shot. Excellent hire!

              Comment

              • Topper
                Pre-Historic Man
                • Nov 2011
                • 11764

                #592
                Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
                It's too bad we had to drag Ty Detmer through the mud to get here. Hopefully we have learned our lesson and let the HC hire who he wants from now on. That said, I like this hire a lot. I thought Grimes was a long shot. Excellent hire!
                Agreed.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                Comment

                • tooblue
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5136

                  #593
                  Grimes has yet to call a play in a D1 football game and somehow this is an program saving hire? Maybe we all should reserve judgment until his first couple of series in Tuscon, because clearly the program is in disarray, and Sitake who is solely responsible for the current environment is still in charge.

                  Comment

                  • Flystripper
                    Degenerate Gambler
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14094

                    #594
                    Fire Ty

                    Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    Grimes has yet to call a play in a D1 football game and somehow this is an program saving hire? Maybe we all should reserve judgment until his first couple of series in Tuscon, because clearly the program is in disarray, and Sitake who is solely responsible for the current environment is still in charge.
                    While this is generally true, I personally don’t believe Grimes is a program saving hire. I just said it is the first hire in a long time that liked. The problems of this program run deep and may ultimately be unsolvable, but I don’t want to be a downer when they actually hired a guy that was expensive, has significant college coaching experience away from BYU, is not LDS, knows BYU and still wanted to come, coached our best offensive lines since French.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Flystripper; 12-14-2017, 08:31 AM.
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

                    Comment

                    • Surfah
                      Where's Wallace?
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 33726

                      #595
                      Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                      Grimes has yet to call a play in a D1 football game and somehow this is an program saving hire? Maybe we all should reserve judgment until his first couple of series in Tuscon, because clearly the program is in disarray, and Sitake who is solely responsible for the current environment is still in charge.
                      Play calling is the most overrated aspect of coaching.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #596
                        Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                        Grimes has yet to call a play in a D1 football game and somehow this is an program saving hire? Maybe we all should reserve judgment until his first couple of series in Tuscon, because clearly the program is in disarray, and Sitake who is solely responsible for the current environment is still in charge.
                        Anyone can call a dive run up the middle on 3rd and long or a fake punt on 4th and forever with our backs against the end zone.


                        Edit: FTR, I was hoping for Sark.
                        Last edited by Uncle Ted; 12-14-2017, 08:42 AM.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • tooblue
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5136

                          #597
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Play calling is the most overrated aspect of coaching.
                          ... not in football it's not, especially at the collegiate level.

                          Comment

                          • Green Monstah
                            Royal Rooter
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 13961

                            #598
                            I don't think Grimes was brought over to call plays. My guess is that the QB coach will assume that role.

                            The biggest concern I have with the hire that I see is if we had to pay Grimes so much money that we are not getting the additional position coach.
                            Last edited by Green Monstah; 12-14-2017, 08:55 AM.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                            "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                            Comment

                            • tooblue
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5136

                              #599
                              Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                              While this is generally true, I personally don’t believe Grimes is a program saving hire. I just said it is the first hire in a long time that liked. The problems of this program run deep and may ultimately be unsolvable, but I don’t want to be a downer when they actually hired a guy that was expensive, has significant college coaching experience away from BYU, is not LDS, knows BYU and still wanted to come, coached our best offensive lines since French.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I agree with your reasoning—it's exciting to see. It's just some here kinda sound like Ute fans: "this next OC is gonna be amazing and save _______ football."

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69711

                                #600
                                Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                                Grimes has yet to call a play in a D1 football game and somehow this is an program saving hire? Maybe we all should reserve judgment until his first couple of series in Tuscon, because clearly the program is in disarray, and Sitake who is solely responsible for the current environment is still in charge.
                                There you go, folks. Stop being excited about a hire that exceeded your expectations!
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...