We'll Lansing and We'll Shout: BYU vs. Michigan State

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Topper
    Pre-Historic Man
    • Nov 2011
    • 11764

    #271
    Michigan State is near collapse. BYU is a "middling team with resolve."

    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

    Comment

    • Sleeping in EQ
      Philosopher of Men
      • Nov 2008
      • 4188

      #272
      Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
      BYU fans representing.
      Damn right.
      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

      Comment

      • All-American
        Right, as Usual
        • Nov 2008
        • 15680

        #273
        We'll Lansing and We'll Shout: BYU vs. Michigan State

        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        I will not apologize for saying you could complete some of those passes.
        The Dude, you know I love that pulled pork recipe of yours. But I don't think there's any chance you could have shoved that DB into the ground and run for 11 yards, or made that clutch first down run to set up the field goal, or convert that third down when their defensive end had you pinned three yards behind the line of scrimmage, or made that indisputably perfect touchdown pass to Pearson.

        But again-- your rub recipe is phenomenal.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

        Comment

        • All-American
          Right, as Usual
          • Nov 2008
          • 15680

          #274
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Taysom completed 73% of his passes in the second half. 67% for the game. Zero turnovers.

          BYU drives today:

          Downs
          Punt
          Downs
          Punt
          ...
          FG
          TD
          TD
          TD
          TD

          But according to shaka, he didn't play well. Good grief. We dominated a B1G team on the road. Scored on all five of our last drives. TDs in all four of our second half drives. Chewed clock on every drive. Taysom made play after play to keep those drives alive. As a fan, if you can't be happy about that, there is something wrong with you.
          Reminds me of the people that complained about our passing game after the Texas game in 2013. Sheesh.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

          Comment

          • myboynoah
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 21719

            #275
            Originally posted by Topper View Post
            Michigan State is near collapse. BYU is a "middling team with resolve."

            http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/s...lumn/91798746/
            A lot more than resolve judging by all the Sparties that limped off the field during the game.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

            Comment

            • Green Monstah
              Royal Rooter
              • Aug 2010
              • 13979

              #276
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post


              Step aside, GM. We have a new double-down king!
              Back TF up Shaka. I need to step up my game.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

              Comment

              • smokymountainrain
                Impressive Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22593

                #277
                Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                He threw for 138 yards with a five yard per completion average. He couldn't hit the medium difficulty throws and then resorted to the underneath throws. I'm sorry Lebowski, you could hand off to Jamaal and Squally and probably complete some of those passes. Taysom has not had a breakout game as a thrower. Hopefully that changes in the next couple of weeks.
                QBR of 91 (out of 100, so we're clear that this isn't PER) against a good Big 10 defense on the road. yeah, anybody could do that.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

                Comment

                • smokymountainrain
                  Impressive Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22593

                  #278
                  jamaal is 25 yards behind the leader in rushing yards on the season. he also leads all running backs in TDs.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

                  Comment

                  • Topper
                    Pre-Historic Man
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 11764

                    #279
                    Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                    Damn right.
                    Were you there?
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                    Comment

                    • Shaka
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 10450

                      #280
                      Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      The Dude, you know I love that pulled pork recipe of yours. But I don't think there's any chance you could have shoved that DB into the ground and run for 11 yards, or made that clutch first down run to set up the field goal, or convert that third down when their defensive end had you pinned three yards behind the line of scrimmage, or made that indisputably perfect touchdown pass to Pearson.

                      But again-- your rub recipe is phenomenal.
                      I have him props for the run game. I will not give props when you under-throw a flea flicker, a throw that probably should have been picked, and then proceed to be inaccurate on any other throws in the medium range. Taysom is what he's always been, a QB who excels at running but is mediocre in the throw game. It's been that way all season and will most likely continue to be that way. We learned that in all three of our losses and it hasn't changed. The next team that can plug our run game will most likely beat us because Taysom, unless he improves, will not be able to beat them with his arm. In the world of QB's a high completion percentage with a five yard per completion average is not good.

                      I love the win, I love how the line is picking up their game, I love that Taysom can run, most of the time I love the defense. I do not love our passing game.

                      Comment

                      • myboynoah
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 21719

                        #281
                        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        I have him props for the run game. I will not give props when you under-throw a flea flicker, a throw that probably should have been picked, and then proceed to be inaccurate on any other throws in the medium range. Taysom is what he's always been, a QB who excels at running but is mediocre in the throw game. It's been that way all season and will most likely continue to be that way. We learned that in all three of our losses and it hasn't changed. The next team that can plug our run game will most likely beat us because Taysom, unless he improves, will not be able to beat them with his arm. In the world of QB's a high completion percentage with a five yard per completion average is not good.

                        I love the win, I love how the line is picking up their game, I love that Taysom can run, most of the time I love the defense. I do not love our passing game.
                        I don't think this is crazy thinking.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                        For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                        Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                        Comment

                        • Pelado
                          Bald not naked
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 21153

                          #282
                          Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          Michigan State is near collapse. BYU is a "middling team with resolve."

                          http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/s...lumn/91798746/
                          These guys really did their research on BYU:

                          Originally posted by Lansing State Journal
                          “Toledo exposed every problem and every mistake we made,” BYU coach Kalini Sataki said.
                          Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69747

                            #283
                            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                            I have him props for the run game. I will not give props when you under-throw a flea flicker, a throw that probably should have been picked, and then proceed to be inaccurate on any other throws in the medium range. Taysom is what he's always been, a QB who excels at running but is mediocre in the throw game. It's been that way all season and will most likely continue to be that way. We learned that in all three of our losses and it hasn't changed. The next team that can plug our run game will most likely beat us because Taysom, unless he improves, will not be able to beat them with his arm. In the world of QB's a high completion percentage with a five yard per completion average is not good.

                            I love the win, I love how the line is picking up their game, I love that Taysom can run, most of the time I love the defense. I do not love our passing game.
                            Again, what does this have to do with your argument that "Taysom didn't win the game"?

                            Has anyone ever argued that he is a tremendous passer? Who exactly are you arguing with on that point? He is a decent passer, and at times a fabulous runner. Yesterday he was also an excellent leader and made big play after big play.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Shaka
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 10450

                              #284
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Again, what does this have to do with your argument that "Taysom didn't win the game"?

                              Has anyone ever argued that he is a tremendous passer? Who exactly are you arguing with on that point? He is a decent passer, and at times a fabulous runner. Yesterday he was also an excellent leader and made big play after big play.
                              Jamaal rushing for 163, Squally rushing for 50, and Taysoms 47 were the primary factors behind the win. All had higher yards per carry than Taysom had in yards per completion. That doesn't bode well for a balanced attack.

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69747

                                #285
                                Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                Jamaal rushing for 163, Squally rushing for 50, and Taysoms 47 were the primary factors behind the win. All had higher yards per carry than Taysom had in yards per completion. That doesn't bode well for a balanced attack.
                                Yet another completely meaningless stat given the context.

                                Yes, Taysom struggles with accuracy on the deep ball. Fortunately he has other strengths that help compensate. None of this negates the fact that he had a fabulous game on Saturday. It is weird that it is so difficult for you to accept that.

                                Her is a good comparison for you: Navy had a huge upset of 5th-ranked Houston yesterday. They led for most of the game and hung on at the end to win. In the process they completed 3 out of 5 passes. There are probably a few Navy fans somewhere complaining "OK, we beat a top-5 team, but our offensive balance was terrible!".

                                Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-09-2016, 12:14 PM.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...