BYU v SDSU Open Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16940

    #211
    About DiLuigi's fumble... I assume the beef with the refs is that they blew the whistle too soon. Watching the play live, one could hear the whistle while ball was out and no one had control of it. It looked to me like some players quit on the play as soon as the whistle blew. Had the whistle not been blown and had a dogpile ensued, who knows who would have recovered? But I agree the side judge erred in blowing the whistle too quickly.

    Other thoughts:

    Riley Stevenson did his best to get SDSU back in the game--at least two dreadful punts and the OB KO.

    I agree the only bad Heaps pass was the underthrow to Jacobsen.

    Great game plan, and nice confidence display by the players to make it work.

    Kariya's best game since Oklahoma.

    I was pleased Ashworth didn't drop any passes.

    Comment

    • Non Sequitur
      Where did I put my bodkin
      • Nov 2008
      • 5773

      #212
      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      I thought Heaps was outstanding. I'm even not that bugged at that pass as I think it was a poor route and a tough defender to see--freshman mistake.
      Did Heaps play? I didn't notice.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

      Comment

      • CJF
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 8497

        #213
        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        How is a guy sitting out of bounds able to regain possession of a football?
        He's not. But if he touches the ball while out of bounds the play is dead. Here is the rule

        ARTICLE 3. a. A ball not in player possession, other than a kick that scores
        a field goal, is out of bounds when it touches the ground, a player, a game
        official or anything else that is on or outside a boundary line.
        Edit.......Sizzle beat me to it.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

        Comment

        • Shaka
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 10450

          #214
          Great game. I thought Ogletree was the silent leader on D. He was in on a lot of plays disrupted SDSU numerous times.

          The offensive game plan was conservative but perfect for Heaps at this stage of his development. I thought he did a fine job today managing the offense. I want to take a second look at that INT. CJF may be right on the route but I know that many times a crossing route and the back of the endzone is purposely run. I also want to check out the crazy penalties. Fortunately the DVR is waiting for me.

          Post game at Braza Grill was fantastic.

          Comment

          • CJF
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 8497

            #215
            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            Great game. I thought Ogletree was the silent leader on D. He was in on a lot of plays disrupted SDSU numerous times.

            The offensive game plan was conservative but perfect for Heaps at this stage of his development. I thought he did a fine job today managing the offense. I want to take a second look at that INT. CJF may be right on the route but I know that many times a crossing route and the back of the endzone is purposely run. I also want to check out the crazy penalties. Fortunately the DVR is waiting for me.

            Post game at Braza Grill was fantastic.
            Wasn't a crossing route. You had two receivers basically running the same route. I can't remember who it was in the back of the end zone, but he was open. Holt ran the same route in the front of the end zone. He needed to be about two yards more shallow and he needed to cut out shaper so he wasn't drifting. He took his DB right into the play. And to be fair, the DB made a very good play on the ball. It was a very athletic catch. But some of the little things we were spoiled the last couple of years just aren't there yet. Our TE's have been unstoppable in goal line situations the last two or three years. It wasn't because they were tall. It's because they ran great routes and spaced correctly. That isn't there yet with this group.
            Last edited by CJF; 10-09-2010, 08:53 PM.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

            Comment

            • Katy Lied
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 9435

              #216
              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post


              I was pleased Ashworth didn't drop any passes.
              Is this TIC?

              Comment

              • Clark Addison
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 10316

                #217
                Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                Great game. I thought Ogletree was the silent leader on D. He was in on a lot of plays disrupted SDSU numerous times.

                The offensive game plan was conservative but perfect for Heaps at this stage of his development. I thought he did a fine job today managing the offense. I want to take a second look at that INT. CJF may be right on the route but I know that many times a crossing route and the back of the endzone is purposely run. I also want to check out the crazy penalties. Fortunately the DVR is waiting for me.

                Post game at Braza Grill was fantastic.
                I agree with the bolded portion, with emphasis on "at this stage". If we are still at this stage by the end of the season, and are still running the ball 80% of the time, I doubt that I will be as happy.

                Comment

                • cougjunkie
                  *Banned*
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 23223

                  #218
                  A few thoughts:

                  1. We saw a zone blitz (Bryson dropping in to coverage on the first 3rd down of the game and breaking up a pass) and a corner blitz in this game. I can not remember the last time this has happened at BYU.

                  2. This was the ultimate Eff You game for Robert Anae and Bronco. BYU was going to run the ball, SDSU knew they were going to run the ball and dared them to try and stop them. I think it is easier to run against the 3-3-5 because you are running against 5 DBs.

                  3. Bronco said the long run by Hillman (38 yards) was his mistake that he was outguessed by Borges and called the wrong defense. Other than that play and the 2 play drive for the first td. (Uale bit hard on the play fake). The defense was very stout.

                  4. Nickel, Nickel, Nickel. I loved it. Jray Galea'i and Uale would play safety and Rich would come up and cover the slot.

                  5. Heaps played a good game. Interesingly enough on the int he was throwing to Muehlman I believe and CJF is correct Holts route was too deep. However Holt was open on the play he could have thrown it to him. Great play by the DB.

                  6. Took one shot downfield all game, the drop By Jacobson.

                  7. Overall I loved the defense sprinting on to the field at the start of every series. What people do not understand is the pressure Bronco put on himself by firing Jaime. It would have been easier to go 2-10 this year and fire Jaime after the season, then he can take over and start fresh. But now he is taking over in the middle of the season and missing a few of his best defensive players putting a ton of pressure on himself to succeed. So far so good.

                  8. KVN was great most of the night. He did get lost in coverage a few times but a solid game. Also Ogletree was everywhere in coverage.

                  9. Vincent Browns one handed catch was sick.

                  10. Loved the intensity hopefully it will carry over throughout the season.

                  11. Marshalls throw on the fake punt was pretty impressive.
                  *Banned*

                  Comment

                  • CJF
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8497

                    #219
                    Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    A few thoughts:

                    1. We saw a zone blitz (Bryson dropping in to coverage on the first 3rd down of the game and breaking up a pass) and a corner blitz in this game. I can not remember the last time this has happened at BYU.

                    2. This was the ultimate Eff You game for Robert Anae and Bronco. BYU was going to run the ball, SDSU knew they were going to run the ball and dared them to try and stop them. I think it is easier to run against the 3-3-5 because you are running against 5 DBs.

                    3. Bronco said the long run by Hillman (38 yards) was his mistake that he was outguessed by Borges and called the wrong defense. Other than that play and the 2 play drive for the first td. (Uale bit hard on the play fake). The defense was very stout.

                    4. Nickel, Nickel, Nickel. I loved it. Jray Galea'i and Uale would play safety and Rich would come up and cover the slot.

                    5. Heaps played a good game. Interesingly enough on the int he was throwing to Muehlman I believe and CJF is correct Holts route was too deep. However Holt was open on the play he could have thrown it to him. Great play by the DB.

                    6. Took one shot downfield all game, the drop By Jacobson.

                    7. Overall I loved the defense sprinting on to the field at the start of every series. What people do not understand is the pressure Bronco put on himself by firing Jaime. It would have been easier to go 2-10 this year and fire Jaime after the season, then he can take over and start fresh. But now he is taking over in the middle of the season and missing a few of his best defensive players putting a ton of pressure on himself to succeed. So far so good.

                    8. KVN was great most of the night. He did get lost in coverage a few times but a solid game. Also Ogletree was everywhere in coverage.

                    9. Vincent Browns one handed catch was sick.

                    10. Loved the intensity hopefully it will carry over throughout the season.

                    11. Marshalls throw on the fake punt was pretty impressive.
                    12. Very few missed tackles. Huge improvement from previous weeks.

                    I'll say it again, the Jacobson play was underthrown and tipped just enough to change the rotation and direction of the ball. And it was last second. It would have been an impressive catch if MJ had made it. That was the one poorly thrown ball I put Heaps. MJ had to wait for it. If Heaps puts it two yards deeper it is an easy touchdown.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                    Comment

                    • Pheidippides
                      Liberal Feminazi
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14759

                      #220
                      Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                      I didn't see the fumble you and ER are talking about. I will trust what CJF said about the play. He seems to be the only voice of reason on this.
                      The fumble that didn't get called our way was touched by the SDSU player as he was out of bounds so we couldn't have recovered anyway. The JJ fumble was a fumble - saved by the whistle. The PI at the end of the game wasn't a PI.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                      Comment

                      • PaloAltoCougar
                        Semper infra dignitatem
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 16940

                        #221
                        Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        Is this TIC?
                        Yes.

                        Comment

                        • cougjunkie
                          *Banned*
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 23223

                          #222
                          Originally posted by CJF View Post
                          12. Very few missed tackles. Huge improvement from previous weeks.

                          I'll say it again, the Jacobson play was underthrown and tipped just enough to change the rotation and direction of the ball. And it was last second. It would have been an impressive catch if MJ had made it. That was the one poorly thrown ball I put Heaps. MJ had to wait for it. If Heaps puts it two yards deeper it is an easy touchdown.
                          You are right I should not call it a drop. In fact we only had 2 in the game.

                          YOu are also correct on the missed tackles, there were a few however because of the way the team was flying to the ball even if their was a missed tackle someone was there to clean it up.
                          *Banned*

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #223
                            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                            Great game. I thought Ogletree was the silent leader on D. He was in on a lot of plays disrupted SDSU numerous times.
                            I agree. Ogletree's performance tonight reminded me how he played in high school. He played aggressive and made the big plays especially when it was needed.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Coach McGuirk
                              1
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 12109

                              #224
                              Originally posted by CJF View Post
                              12. Very few missed tackles. Huge improvement from previous weeks.

                              I'll say it again, the Jacobson play was underthrown and tipped just enough to change the rotation and direction of the ball. And it was last second. It would have been an impressive catch if MJ had made it. That was the one poorly thrown ball I put Heaps. MJ had to wait for it. If Heaps puts it two yards deeper it is an easy touchdown.
                              The only complaint I had on that play is mj not coming back to the ball. It just seemed like he waited there for it to come to him, But that was live, I need to watch it.

                              Comment

                              • MartyFunkhouser
                                Disciple of RNGesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 18763

                                #225
                                I think BYU salvaged bowl eligibility tonight, so it was a very good win for BYU. I see BYU finishing 6-6 with losses to Utah and TCU.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

                                Comment

                                Working...